PDA

View Full Version : Sticky/overheating starter

Wobba
25-05-2012, 19:14
Anyone else have an issue with intermittent sticky starter motor when in hot weather or with hot engine?

diditno
25-05-2012, 20:13
O bh. I have a spare if its any use?

Wobba
25-05-2012, 20:52
Oooh :D I will be swapping the gearbox out at some point so might be worhth doing it at the same time.

I had to get a bump start from two girls in tesco petrol station today as the started played up hehe. When engine started they squealed in fear mwhahahahaha!!!

Evogone
25-05-2012, 20:55
Get it all the time with the rallycar........

Girls pushing that is LOL...... :oops:

Seriously thay get hot and refuse to go, maybe wrap in heat resistant material, that what im going to try.

MatBrown
25-05-2012, 22:08
Do you have the heatshield in place?

Willbee
25-05-2012, 22:12
Wobba,

I have exactly the same issue. I bought a spare one to see if it remedies it but haven't got round to fitting it yet. It's a bugger because if it happens I have to wait a good 10 minutes till it will go. Usually pop the bonnet too to speed up the cooling problem.

cliokongen
25-05-2012, 22:21

Seriously thay get hot and refuse to go, maybe wrap in heat resistant material, that what im going to try.

I never have that issue.
Mine is wrapped in heat repelling wrap - and then the heat shield.
It works...
Try the wrapping....

However I would consider faking it not to start if I could convince girls to push start it... :D

16v_paddy
25-05-2012, 23:44
However I would consider faking it not to start if I could convince girls to push start it... :D

You want to use clio-girl's trick that guarantees her clio is taken home on the back of a recovery truck, pull out the fuel pump relay :P

Evogone
27-05-2012, 09:10

I never have that issue.
Mine is wrapped in heat repelling wrap - and then the heat shield.
It works...
Try the wrapping....

Thats what im going to trial, wrapping that is 8)

mopa
20-02-2013, 11:02
cliokongen what wrap did you use that goes under oe heatshield ok? thanks

cliokongen
21-02-2013, 11:08
cliokongen what wrap did you use that goes under oe heatshield ok? thanks

I used something like this:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/mocal-heat-resisting-cloth

You could also use something like this which you can bend in various shapes:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection/nimbus-lite-heat-shield

Do not use exhaust wrap - its designed to keep the heat inside an exhaust tube - not to deflect heat which is what you ideally want in this case.

Michael

mopa
21-02-2013, 11:53
thanks .