PDA

View Full Version : steering column

Vandella
23-05-2012, 15:52
hey chaps i have some play in my steering column that i would like to get to the bottom of or know if its repairable.. the picture below has two different columns..i have both, but the bottom column of the two pictured is what i currently have on the car.
1) can anyone tell me what part number this is or where it came from originally.. local renault hasnt a clue..
2) the play mentioned is where the bottom half of the column goes inside the middle bit..it goes in and out and if i hold the very bottom near where it joins the rack or the splined bit and turn the steering wheel..the top half moves and seems as though some teeth on the spline might be missing or damaged.. i hope this all makes sense...
Thanks and if any more info is needed please ask n i will try and be more helpfull to u..and myself! lol

northy
23-05-2012, 16:42
The lower rack is from a non power steering car. The manual rack is longer.

You can pull the bottom arm off and press it back in to repair your Williams rack.

Vandella
23-05-2012, 17:06
okay... thanks for the speedy reply..so when i tried to put the one pictured at the top in..it was abit longer and i couldnt get the bolts to match up..does that mean my rack has been moved up..possibly?

northy
23-05-2012, 19:35
Did you find the rack shaft hit the firewall???

Vandella
23-05-2012, 19:48
excuse the ignorance but what do u mean by firewall.. i got a welded one off a freindly member and i went to put it in and whilst i could get it in to postion and get the clamp on, the four or so big bolts on the upper part were/are nearly and inch-ish longer than needs be and if the bolts are in at the top then i cant get the clamp on..but where the splines go into the next piece it looks (by wear indication) that it has been pulled to make it longer.. maybe whilst being romoved from the previous car.. but im gunna swap my the one in the car at the mo with the column i have just explained about... so am guna have to push it in sumhow.. whats the best way n tool for this job?
Thanks again