PDA

View Full Version : on average how long dus a willy engine last?

Mattie
18-08-2005, 22:25
can people let me know how many miles there engines have dun and if they have had them reconditiond or at how many miles they have changed there engine?!?!?!?!

mines done just over 71k.....should i b savin up just incase it needs a recon or is there plenty left in it?

thanks,

matt

Mark_Ritchspeed
18-08-2005, 22:34
My old Willy3 had covered nearly 90k miles when I sold it and had an absolute storming engine. Never once let me down and even the gearbox never had any failures and it used to get an absolute pasting. Covered well in excess of 40 trackdays as well.

Maintain them properly and use good quality fully synthetic oils and I see no reason why they shouldnt last well over 100k miles without major problems.

edde
18-08-2005, 22:35
It all depends. Mine on 100k and is a bit worn but its no problem just down on power a little on what it might make. I've heard of 200k WIlliams and one on 300k.
the engines are very strong and since there moving a light car there no reason for them to be stressed less than a 520BWM etc.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 23:59
Here is my engine after 140,000 miles. Notice it still has cross hatch markings on the piston ring.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/King_Stromba/100_0781.jpg

Also my clutch was the original clutch and Nick hill said it was unworn.

J o n
19-08-2005, 00:11
yeah but you drive like a girl, if your car see's the redline and you drive it moderately hard it will wear. i think it just depends on how hard it's been driven, (and most have taken some stick) but also like Mark says how it's been cared for.

KingStromba
19-08-2005, 00:39
yeah but you drive like a girl,

Very constructive. I think that added alot to the topic.

Well done

Purple
19-08-2005, 01:48
About 120k miles from new and still going strong. Engine block never opened. Still feels like its low-mileage performance. I mostly change oil every 3k to 5k miles. Sub-3k revs when oil below 60C. Never gone past 6.5k revs.

J o n
19-08-2005, 08:21

Well done

i'd say it's perfectly valid, most of these cars get driven hard, so any opinion of yours is based on the equivalent of an 80 year old granny pootling round to the shops once a week so hows that a true reflection of engine wear? your the minority driver for these types of car, most people give them some stick.

dannyt
19-08-2005, 08:24
122K miles and she's still going strong (touch wood) for an 1800!

However, racing my mate in a GTI-6 the other day he said he noticed blue smoke when the car back fired, and I've noticed some loss of oil especially from track days! He said it could be to do with the Bores or piston rings, leaking oil through, any help? It might be because I kept up with him though!!!lol :wink:

Seems to be a good strong engine, but like everyone else said, if there looked after, serviced regularly with good oils and warmed up/cooled down properly, should last you a long time!

Don't take about 2k revs until water temp starts to move, then no more than 2.5 until engine oil starts to move and then no more than 3k revs until 60 fed oil temp!

Oil changed every 3-5k depending on type and driving!

Enid
19-08-2005, 08:58

Well done

i'd say it's perfectly valid, most of these cars get driven hard, so any opinion of yours is based on the equivalent of an 80 year old granny pootling round to the shops once a week so hows that a true reflection of engine wear? your the minority driver for these types of car, most people give them some stick.

But he didn't own the car from new did he. The previous owners could have ragged the bollox of it from day one, he was just stating that it showed no sign of wear after 120k :roll:

2 live
19-08-2005, 09:30
mine was on 72k when i removed it from the car in favour of the megane engine...there were still the honing marks on the bore.........no marks at all on the rings.....hehe.......and it was as strong as when i first got it on 55k.......if maybe a little stronger

theres no reason why these engines wont see into the 200k if there looked after well

driving them like a pussy can actually do more damage to em than driving them quickly

Mattie
19-08-2005, 09:55
jus wondered like cuz my m8s valver has dun around 120k and his engine has had a recon, didnt want 2 b spendin more money ne time soon....still got the gear box 2 sort out! :(

u33db
19-08-2005, 10:37
I had my old one reconned at 121k as headgasket had gone...didn't need it in reality thinking about it now. IIRC one of Paul Mitchells customers had a willy on 200k without major work being done...not bad.

KingStromba
19-08-2005, 10:51
mine was on 72k when i removed it from the car in favour of the megane engine...there were still the honing marks on the bore.........no marks at all on the rings.....hehe.......and it was as strong as when i first got it on 55k.......if maybe a little stronger

theres no reason why these engines wont see into the 200k if there looked after well

driving them like a pussy can actually do more damage to em than driving them quickly

So what are the honing marks on? The bore? What a piston ring then? Whats a bore?

2 live
19-08-2005, 10:55
yes mate the honing marks are on the bore

the piston rings are the rings around the pistons funnily enough lol

the bore is the hole the piston slides up and down in

matty
19-08-2005, 12:03

Well done

Actually a granny driving a car once a week to shops is usually worse. My next door neighbour was this type of driver before she died and engine wear is greater and never up to temperature as didn't drive far enough.

Back on topic. My F7P is on 106k now and gonna get overhauled soon as 2nd cambelt change would be due. Guess its all down to how you have treated the car and how well its been maintained.

Lunner
21-08-2005, 21:45
My F3P block is on 124k, dones trackdays and generally been abused, goit a full sercive history though, and still going strong (touch wood)

VIPERONE
21-08-2005, 21:46
m-fix's clio williams engine lasted 250k with only minimal wear

NickFr
21-08-2005, 22:23
Same as the human body...

1. Who made it
2. What do you put in it...food/fuel
3. How well is it looked after
4. A large slice of luck....ie baby born of two ****wits, fed on fried food and takeaways, who never takes exercise, smokes, takes drugs and still lives until they are 95.....LUCK

VIPERONE
21-08-2005, 22:37
lol.. im surprised winstons hasnt blown up yet!

Winston
22-08-2005, 01:11
Moi :shock:

only just hit 72k

Andyvalver
22-08-2005, 11:37
122K miles and she's still going strong (touch wood) for an 1800!

However, racing my mate in a GTI-6 the other day he said he noticed blue smoke when the car back fired, and I've noticed some loss of oil especially from track days! He said it could be to do with the Bores or piston rings, leaking oil through, any help? It might be because I kept up with him though!!!lol :wink:

Seems to be a good strong engine, but like everyone else said, if there looked after, serviced regularly with good oils and warmed up/cooled down properly, should last you a long time!

Don't take about 2k revs until water temp starts to move, then no more than 2.5 until engine oil starts to move and then no more than 3k revs until 60 fed oil temp!

Oil changed every 3-5k depending on type and driving!

I raced zedx19 (from rsc) in his gti6 and kept with it. He had a full car though and there was just me in mine :oops: It would of beat me if it was just him. They said mine started to smoke when i eased off :( Its started to backfire more now on let off anyway. Mines just covered 145k on a 1.8 :D

snakeylady
23-08-2005, 12:16
mines on 147K - have to admit I don't have much info about past owners but I've been told a lot was motorways miles and she's obviously been looked after - I'm guessing as she's been chipped, lowerred and fitted with uprated ventilated discs that she has probably been driven fairly hard - she goes like a train and NEVER [touches wood] let me down.