PDA

View Full Version : Detailed pics of 0001 for restorations

Warby
19-05-2012, 15:56
I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I've got lots of detailed pics of 0001 that might come in handy if anyone is doing a restoration and wants to know how they came out of the factory.

I've got detailed shots of the exterior / trim, many close up shots of the engine bay, door shuts, that kind of thing.

If so, I will put them up on the site.
Cheers,
Rich

p4cks
19-05-2012, 16:07
1,000,000%!!!!!!!!!

northy
19-05-2012, 18:09
If you could that would be great!!!

robi1000
19-05-2012, 19:07
Please do!

Red_Dash
19-05-2012, 19:48
Yes please 8)

Warby
20-05-2012, 10:05
I will get them up in the next day or so, hopefully they will come in handy.

Cheers,
Rich

fabulicious
20-05-2012, 10:44
I've got a copy of the FIA "Form of Homologation". Will attempt to get it scanned in professionally to pdf and make it available.
It may be a nice thing to keep with your documents.

Daz.
20-05-2012, 14:29
Sounds good!

Warby
22-05-2012, 13:46
I've got a copy of the FIA "Form of Homologation". Will attempt to get it scanned in professionally to pdf and make it available.
It may be a nice thing to keep with your documents.

Yes, please do, I'd really like to see that and have a copy of it. Cheers!

fabulicious
22-05-2012, 15:13
It's comin..but be warned it will raise a few eyebrows!

Warby
22-05-2012, 20:47
Can you attach PDFs easily to the forum? It might be the best way to show the images in a multi page PDF. If so, any ideas what the max file size is?

fabulicious
22-05-2012, 21:06
I'll ask jamie or northy when the time comes whats best.
How are you getting on with the foto's? Are you putting them up on photobucket or other? They are probably high res..

172lover
22-05-2012, 21:43
I thought the 001 car was written off?

MatBrown
22-05-2012, 22:58
I thought the 001 car was written off?

Nope.

Vandella
23-05-2012, 15:55
doesnt sir frank own the 001? and was never really registered properly.. that right?

northy
23-05-2012, 16:36
You should be able to attach PDF files - I can host the pictures if u want to send me them on a disc???

icenutter
23-05-2012, 19:55
Nope: was owned by Williams F1 (or Frank Williams or whoever) then Renault UK bought it.

Warby
24-05-2012, 08:49
You should be able to attach PDF files - I can host the pictures if u want to send me them on a disc???

Thanks Northy, I will probably put them on the back of my website and link to the page. If I don't have any luck, I will send them to you if that's OK. Cheers

Warby
30-05-2012, 17:06
OK, finally got round to uploading them. I have tried to keep them large so that you can see the detail. Hopefully they will be useful.

Here is the link http://www.jr-graphics.com/cliowilliams0001.html

Cheers,
Rich

ianbirch
30-05-2012, 17:27
Fantastic.... when and where were these taken?

What is the mileage showing on the clock.

Cheers Ian :)

Daz.
30-05-2012, 17:42
See that's why I could never try and restore one again - I'd need to change EVERYTHING.

northy
30-05-2012, 17:42
Very nice mate. Thanks alot for uploading them

I spy with my little eye - Mmmmm, a new battery and a random red wire coming off it.

Warby
30-05-2012, 18:14
Fantastic.... when and where were these taken?

What is the mileage showing on the clock.

Cheers Ian :)

Hi Ian, these were taken in 2011 / 2012 at the Renault Sport meeting at Gaydon. The guys at Renault were great and let me have the keys. Last month it was on 1949km. I have just added 2 more pics, 1 of the subframe and one of the spare wheel.

Cheers,
Rich

Wobba
30-05-2012, 18:26
Thank you very much for adding the pictures :)

Those tyres are a blast from the past.

2 live
30-05-2012, 21:44
Very nice mate. Thanks alot for uploading them

I spy with my little eye - Mmmmm, a new battery and a random red wire coming off it.

weirdly the red wire isnt there on the pics at the top.

nice to see the proper coloured inside of the rims too ;)

2 live
30-05-2012, 21:46
appears to have one of the later style heatshields too. ????

Smokey McPot
30-05-2012, 22:36
Nice one for the link.

tomo4
30-05-2012, 22:38
ORGASMIC

Red_Dash
30-05-2012, 22:54
Superb! - many thanks for posting the link 8)

Allan
31-05-2012, 12:50
It does look nice, but that has some serious orange peel on the paint work...
If i got a car from the factory with paint like that i would send it back.

Wish my williams was as rust free :D

glyn211269
31-05-2012, 15:36
It does look nice, but that has some serious orange peel on the paint work...
If i got a car from the factory with paint like that i would send it back.

Wish my williams was as rust free :D

Thats just what I thought, massive orange peel fest!!!

gozziee
31-05-2012, 21:46
it looks fantastic but while we are picking i noticed on the first picture of the headlight the rubber thingy under it is hanging off and its a pet hate to see wheel weights on the front of the wheel. just me being anal, apart from that its great !!!!

2 live
31-05-2012, 23:35
kinda goes to show that there are NO rust free original williams' left either... starting on the subframe.... and thats been garaged and hardly driven all its life....theres just no stopping the rust even in perfect conditions it would seem.

2 live
31-05-2012, 23:51
couple more things.....but shouldnt the clips holding the pipes onto the expansion tank be green also??? or was it just the larger rad connections that were green??

it looks fantastic but while we are picking i noticed on the first picture of the headlight the rubber thingy under it is hanging off and its a pet hate to see wheel weights on the front of the wheel. just me being anal, apart from that its great !!!!

and is it me, or does it look to have 3 stamped on the rims instead of 1??? cant really see in the pic. im pretty sure the weights werent on the outside of mine when i bought it, the wheels had never been refurbed and there were no marks where weights had been.

LEIGH-ANNE
01-06-2012, 00:02
Nah i think its a 1 on the wheel

northy
01-06-2012, 08:34
WHeel weights should be On the outside too.

Coops
01-06-2012, 09:24
love the ban on 97 ron fuel on the door

95 - is okay
98 - is okay

97 - NO!!!!!!

all above in thick French accent preferably.

I thought the numbers stamped on the wheels were totally arbitary, every Williams I've had has always had a total mitch match or 1, 2 and 3??

I thought the bobbly style of heatshield was the older style? all the replacement ones I've always had have been smooth silver foily, that's inc one I bought direct from renault?

and having seen this car in the flesh on numberous occasions I can confirm the orange peel is simply appauling!

northy
01-06-2012, 12:16
The fuel stickers were only fitted to the French market cars.

jamiecrookston83
01-06-2012, 12:58
Nice but the paint work is shocking. orange peel to the max. If I had a full re-spray and it came back like that i'd be mega pissed

MatBrown
01-06-2012, 19:09
I thought the numbers stamped on the wheels were totally arbitary, every Williams I've had has always had a total mitch match or 1, 2 and 3??

I thought the bobbly style of heatshield was the older style? all the replacement ones I've always had have been smooth silver foily, that's inc one I bought direct from renault?

and having seen this car in the flesh on numberous occasions I can confirm the orange peel is simply appauling!

Not looked at the pictures but you are correct on both counts.
The numbers on the wheels are nothing to do with the model they are fitted on, will be the casting mould used to make the actual wheel.
The later heatshields have a smooth silver front with a black back, the original ones had the dimples in them.

Wheel weights would have been fitted to the outside lip at the factory as you can get a special two piece weight designed for this type of wheel.

Jon, what is your problem with every other Williams in existence other than your own?

talkingfish
01-06-2012, 19:46
Nice link & pics... very surprised at the rusty subframe.... :shock:

2 live
01-06-2012, 22:31

The numbers on the wheels are nothing to do with the model they are fitted on, will be the casting mould used to make the actual wheel.
The later heatshields have a smooth silver front with a black back, the original ones had the dimples in them.

Wheel weights would have been fitted to the outside lip at the factory as you can get a special two piece weight designed for this type of wheel.

Jon, what is your problem with every other Williams in existence other than your own?

lol..i dont have any probs with every williams other than my own lol.i have plenty of probs with my own to keep me busy.

the heatshield .... when i bought mine, im pretty sure that it was thicker than that, and the new ones iirc had a slightly diff shape to them also, as well as the dimples and being silver on both sides on the older ones. but i have been known to be wrong before. ;)

the wheels,...i asked as i genuinely thought the 1/2/3 stamped into them denoted the williams 1/2/3 batches made. all the 5 original ones that came with mine were stamped with a 1. 3 of the 4 on my williams 2 were stamped with 2, the other was stamped with a 3, but that was bought brand new by craggy when he bumped it. hence the query. btw none of the 5 on mine had weight marks on the outer edges of the rims.

i ask questions and i have a major problem....others (rightly so) slag off the shoddy paint and thats fine???

2 live
01-06-2012, 22:34
the red wire....wasnt there with the old battery, but appeared in other pics with the new battery, northy noticed this also, but maybe not that the wire wasnt there in the pics further up???

maybe im just a tad more observant ;)

MatBrown
01-06-2012, 22:38

lol..i dont have any probs with every williams other than my own lol.i have plenty of probs with my own to keep me busy.

the heatshield .... when i bought mine, im pretty sure that it was thicker than that, and the new ones iirc had a slightly diff shape to them also, as well as the dimples and being silver on both sides on the older ones. but i have been known to be wrong before. ;)

the wheels,...i asked as i genuinely thought the 1/2/3 stamped into them denoted the williams 1/2/3 batches made. all the 5 original ones that came with mine were stamped with a 1. 3 of the 4 on my williams 2 were stamped with 2, the other was stamped with a 3, but that was bought brand new by craggy when he bumped it. hence the query. btw none of the 5 on mine had weight marks on the outer edges of the rims.

i ask questions and i have a major problem....others (rightly so) s*@g off the shoddy paint and thats fine???

Well let's face it, the paint is shoddy! ;-)

2 live
01-06-2012, 22:41
it is yes.

but at least the wheels are correct ;)

2 live
01-06-2012, 22:45
theres also a slight diff on teh dash where the foggy switch is...... is that me having a problem too?????

fabulicious
02-06-2012, 09:33
Fantastic contribution Warby. Thanks for the link!

The red wire is an alarm wire, obviously fitted later with a change of battery. I know as I had one myself just like it.
The clips for the expansion bottle as far as I am aware are brown on both cars I've worked on in the flesh.
Of course weights went on the outside of the wheel back then and if you change tyres the wheels need to be re-balanced and hence weights removed.

One thing to remember here is this is the first Williams to have been built from the factory. The parts bin would have been updated/filled many times over the years from 93 to 96. Sometimes with exact parts sometimes with different ones depending on what Renault's suppliers were delivering.

Things like the wheels, heat shield, the exhaust (there are 2 different types available), and possibly even the loom will have changed over the course of it's manufacturing life cycle and will differ for other markets.
I don't agree with Mat on his point about the numbering on the wheels. I believe that they are indeed numbered for the phase they belong on. Otherwise, why did they not have casting mould 4,5,6??? It only seems appropriate that casting mould 1 would have been for the Williams phase 1 as it's the first mould and we know this further by the painting on the back of the wheel.
If your going to make that sort of statement you would need to have facts/proof.

To know your EXACT configuration, take your VIN back to it's creator and they will let you know but even they will struggle with the above.

The paint work in my view is acceptable from a french renault hatch built in the early 90's. For those of you who were buying cars in that era will remember quite well that renault build quality was appalling. You only have to look at the 5, it's predecessor to know that. Peugeot's were finished much nicer back then. I'd take the shoddy paint work over a bad respray or rust any day. Their hardly German build quality now are they?

Handbags away ladies and lets see what YOU can do!

Warby
02-06-2012, 12:39
Thanks fabulicious, I hope they help.

In terms of the paint work, it wasn't as bad in the flesh, the camera has just really picked out the detail and as you say it was the first out of the factory. I thought the car looked fantastic and Renault seem to be doing a great job of looking after it.

Smokey McPot
02-06-2012, 17:51
theres also a slight diff on teh dash where the foggy switch is...... is that me having a problem too?????

The little coin cubby hole thing? I noticed that.

Maybe a hangover from LHD dashes?

northy
02-06-2012, 18:23
the red wire....wasnt there with the old battery, but appeared in other pics with the new battery, northy noticed this also, but maybe not that the wire wasnt there in the pics further up???

maybe im just a tad more observant ;)

No. Your not mate. I noticed the new red wire and a new battery which looks to be the correct size now and it's missing the plastic spacer for the 063 / 065 difference. I will give it one of mine when I next see it.

Darren your mats are still looking very nice!!!!

I like the paintwork. It's Matbrown approved. Sign of no paint!

The fog light switch is different as said for the LHD cars. Same for the accelerator pedal!

The subframe - although a shame is a result of the car being driven in the wet! Nothing major though. Just goes to show how soon they could start to say they had a 10year corrosion warranty lol!!!

northy
02-06-2012, 18:28
As a designer myself fab - The circled number is a casting identification mark to show which impression the alloy came from.

The 'Williams wheel' was first sold in 1992 as a upgrade to the cup racers as the steels they were using cracked with the extreme heat of racing brakes!!!
It wasn't till 93 they became 'GOLD' and revisions made to the stamping and centre caps.

Either way - I'm calling dibs on it when it is for sale :winkey:

cliolord
02-06-2012, 21:06
Cable tie mounted crank sensor connector, spark plug cover screw not fastened, coolant bottle strap, rubber falling off the offside head light hockey stick (classic! :lol:)

icenutter
02-06-2012, 21:21
love the ban on 97 ron fuel on the door

95 - is okay
98 - is okay

97 - NO!!!!!!

all above in thick French accent preferably.

Plomb is the French word for Lead, so the sticker actually means "Non to Quatre Star". Although that presumable means you could use 2* :wink:

gozziee
02-06-2012, 22:28
like i said earlier tho they are fantastic pictures and i wish my williams looked as good as that tbh.. well done mate !!!

2 live
02-06-2012, 23:39
Fantastic contribution Warby. Thanks for the link!

The red wire is an alarm wire, obviously fitted later with a change of battery. I know as I had one myself just like it.
The clips for the expansion bottle as far as I am aware are brown on both cars I've worked on in the flesh.
Of course weights went on the outside of the wheel back then and if you change tyres the wheels need to be re-balanced and hence weights removed.

One thing to remember here is this is the first Williams to have been built from the factory. The parts bin would have been updated/filled many times over the years from 93 to 96. Sometimes with exact parts sometimes with different ones depending on what Renault's suppliers were delivering.

Things like the wheels, heat shield, the exhaust (there are 2 different types available), and possibly even the loom will have changed over the course of it's manufacturing life cycle and will differ for other markets.
I don't agree with Mat on his point about the numbering on the wheels. I believe that they are indeed numbered for the phase they belong on. Otherwise, why did they not have casting mould 4,5,6??? It only seems appropriate that casting mould 1 would have been for the Williams phase 1 as it's the first mould and we know this further by the painting on the back of the wheel.
If your going to make that sort of statement you would need to have facts/proof.

To know your EXACT configuration, take your VIN back to it's creator and they will let you know but even they will struggle with the above.

The paint work in my view is acceptable from a french renault hatch built in the early 90's. For those of you who were buying cars in that era will remember quite well that renault build quality was appalling. You only have to look at the 5, it's predecessor to know that. Peugeot's were finished much nicer back then. I'd take the shoddy paint work over a bad respray or rust any day. Their hardly German build quality now are they?

Handbags away ladies and lets see what YOU can do!

lol.careful fab. if you agree with me youl have a problem too ;)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

2 live
02-06-2012, 23:40
and i think we would ALL love a car as original and unmolested as this. even with the dodgy paint ;)

LEIGH-ANNE
03-06-2012, 13:30
Some good points made by all.

Love the lovely close up shots! Especially the stickers.

2 live
06-06-2012, 23:35
oh...and just a side note fab

even the lada/proton garage i worked at in the very early 90s, before the williams was even built.....used to use stick on weights at the rear of the wheels for any alloys sold fresh from the dealer, even the niva's came with stick on weights at the rear of the rims from the factory.....and we all know how cheap they were lol.im sure reno wouldnt put these on the outside of the rim...even 4+ years later

Vandella
07-06-2012, 17:04
i thought the bump strips should have a silver bit in too... would love to have a shell that clean tho!! my bumpers tho..the bottom rubbery bit thats runs the length of the bottom of the bumpers has been colour coded.. and personaly looks better.. oh well!

f13ldy
29-12-2012, 16:35
I think the link is now dead...

Anywhere else I can find these pics? They'd be really useful! Cheers :)

northy
29-12-2012, 20:17
They are all under 0001 in the Williams section!

ianbirch
30-12-2012, 18:01
They are all under 0001 in the Williams section!

The pics on 0001 thread are not the same as Wardys.

Cheers Ian

ianbirch
30-12-2012, 20:52
Sorry Warby.... just noticed typo:)

theweekendhaslanded
30-12-2012, 23:34
I did save the pictures to my pc - I can do the necessary with Photobucket if needed??

ianbirch
31-12-2012, 00:57
I think the link is now dead...

Anywhere else I can find these pics? They'd be really useful! Cheers :)

Warbys 0001 pics are now included in the Williams register..... sorry Fatboy I hope you hadn't got to far.:)

Cheers Ian

ianbirch
31-12-2012, 01:13
Ignore me Fatboy, I was reading another post whilst posting and got a bit confused....:doh:

Cheers Ian

f13ldy
02-01-2013, 17:47
Thanks, and also a belated Happy New year!

FATBOY
02-01-2013, 19:28
WTF???? lol