PDA

View Full Version : Rocker cover gasket question

Red_Dash
17-05-2012, 16:27
Hi

I'm just in the process of refitting parts to my rockercover but one of my gaskets has split. I've just found out that this is not a gasket that you can get from Renault any more (it doesn't come in the kit of gaskets for the head either). I'm wondering what the implications are of reusing this gasket (even with the bit that is broken) or would I be better seeing if I can get a second hand one...

If ypu look closely at the top picture you can see at the bottom of the gasket where it is split onto 2 pieces.

Thanks.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4360/20120517145805resized.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8996/20120517145651resized.jpg

diditno
17-05-2012, 16:57
Most motor factors/car parts places stock them. I got one just under a tenner.

Red_Dash
17-05-2012, 17:44
I can get the main gasket for between the rocker cover and the head from a few different places but this smaller one is proving a little more difficult. I've just had a look on GSF and Euro car parts but with no luck. Maybe it's because I don't know the name of it so I'm searching for the wrong thing...

diditno
17-05-2012, 18:45
I have a spare rocker cover or 2 sat in the garage, ill check what they are like if you want a second hand one. But i dont honestly think it matters. As it only gnoes to the breather iirc.

Red_Dash
17-05-2012, 19:41

I think that if it's not particularly important then I'll just reuse it. Does anyone else know differently?

Wobba
17-05-2012, 21:35
It is not an important gasket. It would only leak within an area with oil in anyway and is not pressurised. As already said it only leads to the two breather in a Williams/Valver setup.

The main gasket however, if that leaks it can cause issues with spark plug fouling and generally making a mess :)

Don't worry.

Red_Dash
17-05-2012, 22:08
Thanks for all the advice 8)

Cheers,
Dave.

16v_paddy
17-05-2012, 22:29
Someone on here made a gasket for that bit using a cereal box, I will try & find the pics

sideways danny
18-05-2012, 01:24
billy up

cliokiz
18-05-2012, 11:46
Bin the gasket and get some silicone on it, job done

Coops
18-05-2012, 13:18
intruiged to know why the plate was removed in the first place! no need to!

Red_Dash
18-05-2012, 13:41
I sent the cover off to be powdercoated and had visions of either the plate coming back damaged (because it sticks out a bit) or the gasket getting damaged in the heating process. Perhaps I would of got away with leaving it all in situ but I didn't realise that getting a new gasket for it wouldn't be straightforward. Ah well, you live and learn.

cliokiz
18-05-2012, 17:06
I did the same thing when I coated mine.

Just used silicone when I re assembled it, been fine.

sideways danny
18-05-2012, 20:24
I sent the cover off to be powdercoated and had visions of either the plate coming back damaged (because it sticks out a bit) or the gasket getting damaged in the heating process. Perhaps I would of got away with leaving it all in situ but I didn't realise that getting a new gasket for it wouldn't be straightforward. Ah well, you live and learn.

if you'd have left it, it would be full of sand which would have nicely ruined your engine. You did it right.

Red_Dash
19-05-2012, 11:12

if you'd have left it, it would be full of sand which would have nicely ruined your engine. You did it right.
Glad I did the right thing :)

So, I've bought some gasket silicone to seal the area instead of reusing the old gasket. I also wonder if a small layer of this on the top and bottom of the rocker cover gasket would be a good idea to stop any potential leaks...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Red_Dash/Public/2012-05-19105424.jpg

sideways danny
19-05-2012, 11:36
I would just use that and no gasket on the rocker cover. Gaskets split and move causing leaks