PDA

View Full Version : Urgent opinions

Jaymzfc
17-05-2012, 08:18
Hi, got a bit of a scenario with the willy.

2 years ago i changed the clutch kit, a second hand clutch cable and a new ratched /pedal set, the pivot bush was NOT changed.

Now last weekend i decided to change the clutch cable, a bitch of a job but managed or so i thought.

Now on my way to work a couple of days ago i could not put the car in gear at all, i tried putting in some spacers at the clutch end of the cable as it seems to have some extra length (it is the correct cable as i checked the part number) when i did this however the clutch pedal just clicks and goes to the floor.

I've pretty much tried everything and so has the mechanic, i now purchased a new clutch kit / clutch fork / pivot bush.

Have i missed something ??? can a clutch go after 20k ? we do have heavy traffic every morning so loads of gear changes but still.

If anyone can think of anything else pls let me know before i do the big job.

Tks a million

James

diditno
17-05-2012, 08:50
Cable may have streched or snapped possibly Did you use a genuine cable or after market one?, ive had issues with an after market one as they seem to be an inch or so too short.

Jaymzfc
17-05-2012, 09:59
Cable is original and doesnt seem to have been stretched.

jock
17-05-2012, 15:32
When you say you cant get in gear is this at the start or after the cars warmed up? Just 1st but ok when moving? Is there less more or no resistance on the cable when you try to push it down, does it move the release arm. Is the spring on the pedal mechanism on right, the cable routed properly, smooth curves or has it moved since. Did you fit a new std clutch 2 years ago. :)

Jaymzfc
17-05-2012, 20:19
Hi Jock, the cable is original (6001025926)purchased from renaultpartsdirect, the clutch pedal mech is ok as far as i and the mechanic can see and the movement is fine also the pedal tension before the engine is started is fine.
When cold or warm there is no difference no gear can be selected, mechanic tried a trick by putting in a crow bar near the pressure plate and gears where selected fine so as suck pedal and cable work.

So only thing i can think of is the pressure plate has gone all stiff (ooeerrr).

The clutch kit i used two years ago was a new Valeo one so no idea why it has buggered up i dont drive like a knob and keepo my foot resting on the pedal either, just sods law i guess.

Oh well clutch kit/pivot bush/fork it is.

tks again

jock
17-05-2012, 23:58
Ok, was just trying to get a picture of what was actually physically happening. :-)
did mech use the crowbar to by pass the cable or the arm itself ?
I had a problem when one of the fingers broke off the cover plate and rattled about inside sometimes jamming the release bearing movement and not realising what was happening was nearly busting blood vessels in my leg trying to change gear! Lol it was a right mess in the end as it knackd the centre of the friction plate too. If it is that, then get another new clutch cable and do the pivot bush, I didnt know about the pivot bush at the time :twisted: I made it clear to the place I took it to only use Renault parts and not sure they did as I ended up with a stiff clutch that would not engage 1st once you'd been running for 15mins when the cable stretched so I was back to starting it in 1st and driving like a hewland box and planning my routes very carefully till I put a Renault cable on and its ok now. but its getting a pivot bush and a 172 arm, care of uncle Shaks, when the gearbox gets serviced. :-)

cliokiz
18-05-2012, 13:07
I bet I could fix this in 10 minutes :wink:

Try this...

Remove your green pedal stop above the pedal. Get a H1 bulb.

Get some cutters and cut everything off apart from the base, so you have the spade connector terminal and the silver platform, but the bulb can be binned.

Now if you look at your pedal stop, you'll notice there's a rectangular hole in the middle. Take the bulb base and slot it in here. You may need to make slight adjustments but it's a tight fit once pushed in and you're left with the silver platform, essentially extending the pedal stop.

Before re-fitting, whilst the pedal is sitting in the high position, get your hand up there and adjust the ratchet manually. Place the ratchet in a position where it will be pulling the most cable possible. Hold the pedal down once you've set this and re-fit the pedal stop.

You'll notice that the slight extension is just enough to prevent the ratchet slackening off too much to adjust. This is the trick.

Now, the clutch pedal will feel pretty solid, it's quite a nice feel. Check everything over and take it for a spin, then enjoy

I've used this trick many times and every time it has worked a treat with no ill effects.

Hope this helps :P

cliokiz
18-05-2012, 13:09
Here's the type of bulb you need

http://www.polyperformance.com/rally/images/D/HLA-H83115001-A-400.jpg

Actually, you need to cut the spade connector off as well, it's the rectangular piece above it that fits snugly in the pedal stop.

Don't ask me how I worked this out... :shock:

Jaymzfc
18-05-2012, 14:26
Hi ClioKiz,
looks a strange solution and i'm glad it worked for you, however the pedal is fine its the tension when i press it down which is the problem.

Anyhow the engine's dangling half way down and the gearbox is out.

Tks anyhow if after the big job is done and it still doesn't work ill try this and then be very very pissed off and out of pocket if it works :(.

tks anyhow

cliokiz
18-05-2012, 17:08
If you can't get the car in gear properly when it's warm then the clutch isn't being disengaged fully.

My trick allows the clutch cable to be pulled further by the ratchet, meaning the clutch is disengaged more than the ratchet was usually allow.

Give it a try before you rip things apart.

Jaymzfc
19-05-2012, 12:16
Well the cars being worked on at the mo the new clutch kit/fork /bush /cable/ratchet system is nearly all fitted, i uess its good all is being done. not for my pocket however. i'll keep your idea in mind.
tks again

jock
19-05-2012, 21:57
Lol, still not sure if the pedal was stiff or floppy ? Seems to me this only started when you changed the cable? If the cable is loose or too long and the pivot bush is worn you wont get much actual movement at the release bearing though the top of the fork will appear to move. Hope you get it sorted eventually. :-)