PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Wide-Track Conversion ........

Jamie Summers
16-05-2012, 13:53
Hi,
As part of the ongoing Cup Racer improvement project I was wondering whether there is an opportunity to widen the track to improve the cornering performance ?

I have seen various forum members offering wide-track parts for sale (R19 wishbones ets). So, please forgive my ignorance, can anybody tell me if this is worthwhile, or even if the Cup Car is already wide-tracked ?

We've got AST Coilovers and topmounts on order, so anything that would allow us to get the maximum out of the new suspension would be worth investigating......

many thanks,

Jamie

MatBrown
16-05-2012, 20:59
Should already have the Williams wide track fitted, it's possible to fit 172 track which is slightly wider again.

northy
16-05-2012, 21:48
The williams wide track Was first fitted to the cup cars. They used the R19 wishbone to get more front caster than what was later used on the Williams.

If you look at the front wheel on a Williams it's in the middle of the arch, cup it's pushed closer to the front bumper!!!

The only upgrade you could do Jamie as mat says is go to 172 track.

Jamie Summers
17-05-2012, 14:57
Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. What would be involved in the 172 set-up ? Wishbones, drive shafts, steering rack ??? Is it cost effective ?

Enjoying getting to know these little cars .........

I'll do a proper update on how the racing is going, together with some pictures when I have some time. The car is now back in storage awaiting arrival of our AST suspension, and it's going to Mick Cross at Autocross at the end of the month for some fibreglass bits 'n' bobs and a look to see what can be done on the aero side of things (splitter, undertray, diffuser etc).

Jamie

diditno
17-05-2012, 15:48
For a 172 set up, you need driveshafts, hubs, suspension, rack and lower arms. But on the upside with the 172 hubs, you can run bigger discs and calipers and a much better selection of track pads are avaiable.

cliokongen
17-05-2012, 17:49
Just how much wider is the 172 set up?
And caster difference?

What type of AST dampers ære you going to fit?

Michael

Jamie Summers
21-05-2012, 14:35
For a 172 set up, you need driveshafts, hubs, suspension, rack and lower arms. But on the upside with the 172 hubs, you can run bigger discs and calipers and a much better selection of track pads are avaiable.

Thanks, that looks like there is too much involved to be worthwhile. It would be a bit crazy if we had to get more brackets made up to fit our Wilwood calipers having forked out to get them to fit the Cup hubs !

Jamie

Jamie Summers
21-05-2012, 14:40
And caster difference?

Michael

Michael,
To be honest I have no idea what AST suspension we are getting. It is for full race use, so it's not the "off the shelf" spec available from KAM Racing. Mark Fish has been responsible for placing the order, so the spec was down to him ! I do know the rear shocks, somewhat unusually, are coil-overs with helper springs to complement the torsion bars.
They are due to arrive in about 3 weeks, so I'll know more then !

Jamie

cliokongen
21-05-2012, 22:08
And caster difference?

Michael

Michael,
To be honest I have no idea what AST suspension we are getting. It is for full race use, so it's not the "off the shelf" spec available from KAM Racing. Mark Fish has been responsible for placing the order, so the spec was down to him ! I do know the rear shocks, somewhat unusually, are coil-overs with helper springs to complement the torsion bars.
They are due to arrive in about 3 weeks, so I'll know more then !

Jamie

Thanks Jamie - please do...
Have been hunting for a new track set up for a long time.
AST's look like good quality - but as you say nothing really to find "off the shelf"...

Michael

northy
21-05-2012, 22:49
Some nice stuff being ordered here Jamie.

Not sure if you could run the 172 wishbone / drive shaft on standard Williams hubs so u can keep your calipers [/list]

172lover
22-05-2012, 00:19

no no!!
Don't get 172 rack or shocks they don't work with a valver/williams :D

Here is foxy's guide
http://www.clio16valver.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29830

:twisted:

JoãoCosta
22-05-2012, 11:15
anyone know the improvement in caster with 19 16v wishbones instead williams wishbones?

volymmannen
22-05-2012, 12:43
anyone know the improvement in caster with 19 16v wishbones instead williams wishbones?
Dont know about williams but This is R19 compared against R5 http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/volymmannen/DSC00289-1.jpg

Jamie Summers
22-05-2012, 13:47

no no!!

Here is foxy's guide

Thanks, unfortunately that forum / post seems to be members only. I've registered but still can't read it ........

Jamie

Jamie Summers
22-05-2012, 13:54
Some nice stuff being ordered here Jamie.

Not sure if you could run the 172 wishbone / drive shaft on standard Williams hubs so u can keep your calipers [/list]

Thanks Northy, should be pretty trick ! This little car is starting to owe me a lot of money. It's going to be fascinating to see how well it goes at Snetterton relative to you guys who've been at this for longer ........

Jamie

MatBrown
22-05-2012, 18:01

no no!!

Here is foxy's guide

I was thinking about this, why won't the shocks work?