PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake pads

Smokey McPot
08-05-2012, 18:17
Seems 123 has a permanent dislike for rear brake pads and decided to eject one on a spirited run home along a bumpy b road.

I read something about the retaining pins being dodgy, or different, or something.

Can anyone educate me? I'd like to prevent anymore squeaky bum moments.

Please and thank you.

stevie_b
08-05-2012, 18:38
You've got the sliding bar-type thing in that wedges the brake pads into the caliper and then the tiny retaining pin thing threaded through the hole on that I take it? If the pin is lost then anything that fills the hole, protrudes from it to prevent the bar sliding out and won't itself easily fall out will do the job - I'm thinking something like a keyring ring where it stays in place unless you pull the ring apart and feed it through might be a good improvement, if the space is right for something like that?

jock
09-05-2012, 16:19
I had a pad fall out once and bought a new fitting kit from mintex, under a tenner, comprises 2 new angled slider/retainer bars and 2 spring clips. It saves you cleaning up old rusty worn bars and the clips fit tightly so dont fall out. Old ones can get squashed or squeezed when being pushed pulled or turned when fitting pads. Not had a problem since. The sliders can only be taken out one side so the clips need to be to the opposite side. The sliders can move to the inside a bit but stop when they hit the bolt head iirc. This might affect the outer pad if the caliper has been changed at some point and the original brackets were not swapped over and the outer pad is no longer bolted to the bracket. Its not a brilliant design but as I said I haven't had a problem since. :-)

Smokey McPot
09-05-2012, 19:43
Nice one jock.

Ben Nichols 1979
09-05-2012, 22:01
I think I may have a similar issue. I have a wierd clunking noise coming from rear near side area. It only happens under braking - the slower I go the further apart the clunks. I changed discs and pads all round last week in an attempt to get rid of it but no joy. It sounds like pads moving in the calliper but they seem tight. Any suggestions? Cheers

P.s it's a willy 3 if that helps......

Ben

Bigfoot
10-05-2012, 10:08
Check that you got all the fitting kit on the rear pads including anti-rattle which I would have thought it would be the same as im going on experience with a renault 5, check that you haven't got a crack in the brake disc as this can cause the same effect. Plus that the bearings are all good, guessing you got new bearings when changing over the rear discs but you never know really.

Ben Nichols 1979
10-05-2012, 12:04
Hi bigfoot.

It sounds like a new kit needed. Its got new discs and pads (OE ones) with bearings, ABS rings etc.

Where did you get the kit from and for how much? is there a link?

Thanks

Ben

Bigfoot
10-05-2012, 14:36
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Pads-Fitting-Kit-Renault-Clio-Mk1-2-0-93-96-/400292540701?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d334b711d

Thats not a bad price if you want delivered to the door, but if you have any local factors they should be able to do it for under £10

jock
10-05-2012, 14:40
Dont think willys had anti rattle on the rear, the outside pad should have 2 small bolts holding it solid. What sort of clunking noise is it exactly ? Nearside might be the exhaust hitting the crossmember if the hangers are perished. Is the caliper bolted on tight? have seen the bottom bolt thread stripped, by rust on the end of the bolt being forced through the thread whilst being undone. The actual mounting bracket for the brakes is bolted on to the beam and could have worked loose but not very likely. :-)

jock
10-05-2012, 14:53
Sorry that meant to say 'anti rattle both sides on the rear' :?