PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

chill32
27-04-2012, 10:40
Hi guys, I’m after a bit of advice. I know there are a lot of threads on exhausts on here, so apologies if you’re repeating yourself, but I can’t quite find what I would like...

Currently on a completely standard setup. I'm after a stainless exhaust, backbox for definite, not fussed on centre section - fed up with standards looking tatty. Don’t want a huge change in tone, although a nicer note would be preferable - don’t want anything chavvy or really boomy. Don’t want a big tip either (3” ish max), and want it to pass MOT and even the strictest noise limits at track days, comfortably.

Would a magnex backbox mated to a standard setup achieve this? Or any other recommendations?

Any pointers would be grand!

Cheers,

Charlie.

Coops
27-04-2012, 12:26
depends how standard you want. any off the shelf stainless will look like just that, it wont look o/e

personally I love a good magnex, subtle tailpipe and nice note the exhaust, I find the mongoose systems a bit droney and the tailpipes too big imo.

either should be fine for MOT and track on a standard engine

p4cks
27-04-2012, 12:46
I'm sure a custom back box can be made. There is a place near me (Newcastle) that can make a back box up with any tailpipe, any size, and as quiet or as noisey as you want it.

TooSkive
27-04-2012, 12:52
I had a Magnex backbox on my Williams, it was very loud and boomy, especially on the motorways. The best system I had on there was a Powerflow believe it or not, but there are better systems out there, the Powerflow was cheap, pretty well made, just a bit too loud.

Piper do nice systems, but again, too loud. JP Exhausts also make very nice systems, but once again, too loud for me (88db at 3/4 revs - 6000rpm)

chill32
27-04-2012, 13:01
Cheers for the inputs all.

I'll be tempted to go custom, but presuming it'll cost a fair bit, it's not bothering me that much that...

TooSkive, did you have your magnex backbox simply mated to the rest of a standard system?

Coops
27-04-2012, 14:41
my magnex was the quietest of all the systems I've had. powerflow I had was terrible, so droney and noisey I got rid of it after a week.

seems hit and miss I spose and perhaps that's down to the particular silencers in the system which can vary even on same exhaust from same manufacturer I guess

and yes, a decent custom place will be able to make you an exact replica of the standard system in stainless no worries but it'll cost more than an off the shelf. they can also play with the silencing and baffles etc to get a note you like from the exhaust too

chill32
27-04-2012, 18:09
Thanks Coops, cleared it up for me!

While I'm on the topic, what can I expect from a decat on the clio? Sound & power delivery etc.

How much difference does a silenced one make?

Cheers all

fabulicious
27-04-2012, 18:30
When I fitted a decat to the standard system I found the rev's staying high when coming to stop. Maybe the ECU was still learning. I wasn't too keen on the sound it made either. Would possibly sound much better on a custom system.

Performance wise I honestly could not say if it made any difference as I did not go for a long run. I imagine to get the best from a de-cat you would need a remap?

I do miss my old stainless exhaust for the sweet note you can get from them but as the lads have pointed out it's hit and miss on which ones to go for and which to avoid. Motorway drone can be an ear ache and if you go too large on the bore fitment is a bitch.

If I took the plunge again it would be a standard bore size which is 2 inch's and possibly a muffler or some free-flowing silencer in the center section if poss.

p4cks
27-04-2012, 18:42
a decat, exhaust and/or a remap would do very little on a naturally aspirated car I'm afraid to say.

From what the OP has said, I'd recommend he look at custom systems. They aren't as expensive as you would have thought (I was quoted £200 for a backbox on my VX220 Turbo)

northy
27-04-2012, 23:58
A decat with performance exhaust is equivalent to loosing a passenger in a Williams.

chill32
28-04-2012, 09:34
Thanks guys, food for thought... Will probably end up with a custom of some sort.

Charlie.

will.i.am.s2
28-04-2012, 19:07
i wouldnt recommend a standard centre section with magnex backbox atall tbh. Ive got that setup and its very very loud indeed!! Its louder than the full scorpion exhaust i took off by a lot.

If you want a quiter exhaust id have to recommend a scorpion setup as ive had 5 of them on different cars and they are always easy to live with but tail pipe design might not be to your desires, other than that get one made up at powerflow etc.

will.i.am.s2
28-04-2012, 19:14
[quote="p4cks"]a decat, exhaust and/or a remap would do very little on a naturally aspirated car I'm afraid to say.[quote]

Id disagree with that one. With all the above fitted it realy wakes these cars up from standard and should get you an exta 10bhp at the least presuming your engine is a good un :wink:

Ive only got a remap, full exhaust and green panel and mine makes 162bhp.

A remap with a slightly raised limiter (75000rpm)can make these cars hit over 60 in 2nd gear knocking a good second of the stock 0-60 (if not more), mine does it in 6.1 seconds for example...

will.i.am.s2
28-04-2012, 19:16
* sorry its got a silenced decat fitted also....

chill32
28-04-2012, 21:04
Thanks for that Will, I'll bear that in mind - more reason to go for a custom!

fabulicious
28-04-2012, 21:47
Probably sounds strange but wtf is the difference between a performance off the shelf exhaust and a custom made jobby?
Other than the components built inside them and the acoustics, they both are likely to be stainless, and more or less will fit.
why pay double?

MG1980
28-04-2012, 22:11
I've got a decat and Scorpion on mine as of today. Tomorrow I'll fit the Mongoose system I bought off a chap on here (Frank) today. Both systems are fairly new, but the Mongoose is less than a year old and I'm a sucker for buying anything for the car that's newer than something I've already got on it. I'll do a recording of both and post them up tomorrow if that helps!

PS The Scorpion Centre back will go up for sale on here next week. It is minty and I'm open to offers! :wink:

Coops
29-04-2012, 01:03
if i'm honest, on standard lumps, the quickest one i had was williams 0199 on totally stock exhuast including cat. i found the powerflow and decat on it killed the low down torque and restircted the midrange so it felt slower. it helped up top in the high revs but as it was standard limiter it was useless really compared to the loss i found low down so i went back to standard and it pepped the car up alot.

the main advantage imo for a stainless on a standard lump is the fact its stainless.....so it'll last forever. thats its. other than that its droney and useless.

but thats just my opinion ;-)

chill32
29-04-2012, 10:14
MG, that'd be top - what's the tip of the scorpion like? I have a feeling it's pretty big, which wouldn't suit me, but not 100% sure..

How easy are tips to change? Anyone done it before?

Coops
29-04-2012, 10:16
if you can weld, easy, just hack old one off and weld new one on of your choice :-)

chill32
01-05-2012, 12:00
Haha, cheers coops - you make it sound so easy! :) another option then!

Charlie.

MG1980
01-05-2012, 12:53
Haha, cheers coops - you make it sound so easy! :) another option then!

Charlie.

Hi Chill,

Gimme five and I'll stick up a couple of picks. I have kept the Williams as standard as possible and just had wheels done and front-end respray. The bore is obviously larger, but it's no Jap-can!! :lol:

FATBOY
10-05-2012, 22:18
DEVIL FTW :wink:

vkosho
11-05-2012, 03:02
pretty big fan of the scorpion, not too loud but with a nice burble.

Allan
11-05-2012, 16:27
Runing the Mongoose exhaust on the turbo, i took it off my williams as it was way too loud for my ears, runs nice on the turbo though.
Replaced it with the scorpion which had a really nice sound and at 80 you can't even hear it on the motor way...

So my vote is the scorp as long as you dont mind spending 2 days getting it to fit right with out rattling (oh also it eats exhaust mounts i need them replacing every 6 months)

chill32
11-05-2012, 16:37
Thanks for all the inputs, it's good to hear everyone's point of view! Abandoning the idea of just a simple magnex backbox, so will have a think at the end of the summer what to possibly replace my standard system with.

Charlie.