PDA

View Full Version : Wheel refurbs

J o n
18-08-2005, 11:44
right, I'm gonna get my wheels booked in somewhere for saturday, just a case of who with and how much it's gonna cost... any advice or recomendations people?

FlamingMonkey
18-08-2005, 11:48
Yep get em polished like Winstons.

Might aswell use Pro Clean as they are cheap, haven't seen Freds I don't think so can't comment on those

fab
18-08-2005, 11:49
whatever you do dont bring them to anyone who has anything to do with CS.

FlamingMonkey
18-08-2005, 11:50
whatever you do dont bring them to anyone who has anything to do with CS.

Why's that Fab?

fab
18-08-2005, 11:54
i dont want to mention names monkey but the prat who refurbished mine should be shot.

fab
18-08-2005, 11:58
right, I'm gonna get my wheels booked in somewhere for saturday, just a case of who with and how much it's gonna cost... any advice or recomendations people?

Jesus,I'm bringing mine to a crowd in Belfast called NuUkWheels.He claims to have the williams gold colour and the williams microfiche.He also said that he will show me a card with what the colour will be like when finished.The way I see it,if he doesnt get it right he doesnt get paid.

NickFr
18-08-2005, 12:07
Let me know how you get on Jesus, I am looking to return to the UK this year armed with a few quid, will want my wheels done!

northy
18-08-2005, 12:09
i dont want to mention names monkey but the prat who refurbished mine should be shot.

those the ones from ebay mate ?

J o n
18-08-2005, 12:11
Monkey, I did speak to Fred about his refurbs as the job he did on BenR's and Mehdi's are spot on... but the money he wants for them he's dreaming... something about the polished rim making the job a nightmare. Can you get me the number for Pro Clean pal, tried searching on the t'interweb and there's about a million Pro Cleans... lol

Fab, I not bothered about the colour match, I quite like Winstons' polished ones :D

FlamingMonkey
18-08-2005, 12:13
Pro Clean
61, Houghton St, Prescot, Merseyside L34 5RS
Tel: 0151 426 1885

http://www.procleanalloys.co.uk/

J o n
18-08-2005, 12:16
Question is do I get the rim diamond cut or polished???

Swervin_Mervin
18-08-2005, 12:29
Is the rim damaged in any way?

J o n
18-08-2005, 12:44
nope, just corroded, no curbing etc or owt like that... I was told the diamond cut can start going green and look bad very quickly if it's not always clean, which put me off...

Swervin_Mervin
18-08-2005, 12:46
Well mine are diamond cut, but if they cut them they'll need laquering.

They do need to be cleaned regularly as I find that if they get runs in the dust it can stain the lquer layer, but a bit of elbow grease and it comes off. Mine were cut becuase of teh odd ding.

I'd get yours polished.

northy
18-08-2005, 12:49
id say polished mate

will add to the effect of what your doing.

J o n
18-08-2005, 13:31
i'll go with that then... think i'll give Pro Clean a ring now. £35 a wheel do I tell em Rob?

Rossco
18-08-2005, 13:32
I'm taking my dodgy alloy to Spit&Pollish in Kent. £55.00, comes recommended.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 13:37
I just phoned up a place that came recommended and it has reminded me why i dont bother refurbing my wheels.

Problems:

Difficult to remove powder coat :roll:
Cant guarantee colour match 100% :roll:
Cant do rim so would have to get that done some place else :roll:
£165 for 4 wheel, basically just to spray them , as im doing the rim and removing powder coat :roll:
Yada yada yada yada :roll:

Why are so many of these useless ****wits still in business??

J o n
18-08-2005, 13:43
no idea, that's why i'm going to Pro Clean tho, they have impressed me from what I have seen.

fab
18-08-2005, 17:25

those the ones from ebay mate ?

yes they are.
my fault Northy.Bidding on ebay is always dodgy.even though I think I can trust Paul to sort this mess out.

fab
18-08-2005, 17:29
Monkey, I did speak to Fred about his refurbs as the job he did on BenR's and Mehdi's are spot on... but the money he wants for them he's dreaming... something about the polished rim making the job a nightmare. Can you get me the number for Pro Clean pal, tried searching on the t'interweb and there's about a million Pro Cleans... lol

Fab, I not bothered about the colour match, I quite like Winstons' polished ones :D

ive just had another look as these ebay ones.and the paintwork in the inside of the rim is just "scummy"
honestly the muther ****er who defaced these wheels should seriously consider where his mind was at when he did this.
i would put it on a paralell with keying someones car.AND THATS THE ULTIMATE SIN.

sorry for my tone in this tread but as you can imagine i'm well pissed off. :)

northy
18-08-2005, 17:38
what - you mean on the inside of the wheel (where the tyre sits)

is the finish like gold painted rubber crap thats not been removed from the rim stuff ???

fab
18-08-2005, 17:41
the inside back of the rim you know the part thats not gold on the original?well it looks like they painted it with a hand brush.
and when you see them in the light beside the original they look mustard and not gold.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 17:53
Are they refurbed by Fred?

If so he used the gold centre cap to match the paint. No one told him that reno quality control is lower than speedline and there is colour variation in the centre caps, so pick the wrong cap and you get the wrong colour match.

fab
18-08-2005, 17:59
I hear ye KS.
The thing is how difficult can it be to get a match?I mean are these guys just ripping people off and not bothering with using the code.And surely before they do a refurb they can test the paint they will use on an alloy surface against the original colour?their meant to be pros.

FATBOY
18-08-2005, 18:10
here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!! :? 5 pages later!!!!

fab
18-08-2005, 18:19
yeah but fatboy this is a problem for all of us who need to get this done.
IMO the club should stick its neck out and find someone who can do this job right for all concerned.Otherwise we will end up at the meets or trackdays or even parked in our garages with a rainbow of car wheel colours :D

J o n
18-08-2005, 18:22

If so he used the gold centre cap to match the paint. No one told him that reno quality control is lower than speedline and there is colour variation in the centre caps, so pick the wrong cap and you get the wrong colour match.

if your going to say these things at least give the full picture and explain that the colour may not be spot on, but the quality certainly is. the finish is as good as I have seen anywhere else.

quality of Freds wheels are spot on, I have seen 2 sets he has done in person and several others from the collection. if the gold isn't right I'm sure he would quite happily do them again.

GazTwo
18-08-2005, 18:25
Can we get a group buy price Jesus....I have a set of wheels in need of a re-furb????

Very tempted to go with Fred though as the quality is very good.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 18:26
Powder coat is not as good a finish as paint IMO. Powder coat hide corrosion. if your wheels are painted then you know they have been treated correctly to remove the corrosion. Anyone can just layer powder coat over the corrosion to hide it.

fab
18-08-2005, 18:26

if your going to say these things at least give the full picture and explain that the colour may not be spot on, but the quality certainly is. the finish is as good as I have seen anywhere else.

quality of Freds wheels are spot on, I have seen 2 sets he has done in person and several others from the collection. if the gold isn't right I'm sure he would quite happily do them again.

I will tell you this.Paul got these refurbed and it must of been done by Fred.They are the ultimate insult to a speedline wheel.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 18:27
They were dont by Fred

J o n
18-08-2005, 18:30
Powder coat is not as good a finish as paint IMO. Powder coat hide corrosion. if your wheels are painted then you know they have been treated correctly to remove the corrosion. Anyone can just layer powder coat over the corrosion to hide it.

Mehdi's were painted as were Ben's afaik. Mehdi's certainly were... unless you can get a gloss powder coat? :?

Gaz, i'll speak to them tomorrow. I'm going to book mine in for saturday, let me know what you think pal.

J o n
18-08-2005, 18:34
Fab, if wheels are not done right you take them back and get them done again. I wont pay Pro Clean until I see the wheels and confirm i'm happy with them.

If Fred did them and someone's not happy then say something instead of slagging the guy off on here for all the world to see... show some decorum please lads.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 18:40

Mehdi's were painted as were Ben's afaik. Mehdi's certainly were... unless you can get a gloss powder coat? :?

Gaz, i'll speak to them tomorrow. I'm going to book mine in for saturday, let me know what you think pal.

Fred cant paint the gold speedlines mate. Yes powder coat can be glossey

J o n
18-08-2005, 18:41
did he tell you that?

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 18:42
Fab, if wheels are not done right you take them back and get them done again. I wont pay Pro Clean until I see the wheels and confirm i'm happy with them.

If Fred did them and someone's not happy then say something instead of slagging the guy off on here for all the world to see... show some decorum please lads.

There is nothing wrong with freds refurbs, apart from his speedline gold as far as i am concerned.

I think its only fair to warn people in the club. If things change i would be first to acknowledge this and report the good news.

Fred
18-08-2005, 18:44
Rob i've said it a 1000 times, how can you be an expert on powdercoat, when you've never experienced it!!!!!

you can't hide anything under powdercoat, the wheels need to be MINT to be powdercoated, where as with painted wheels, you can just bung on a load of high build primer to fill in the pit marks

i've never seen a refurb as good as ours, but still we all know its hard to get the colour 100%

at the end of the day, if you want 100% original, buy from renault, if you want your wheels to look good, go to a refurbisher

also Replica wheels are better quality than speedlines (sorry but they are!!)

fab
18-08-2005, 18:46

Jesus,I have defended Fred in previous posts from some members calling the work "shite".That they aint.Their just very bad quality.And when you spend £600 you have every right to express your disgust be it privately or publicly on an item like these.
i am not trying to get anything resolved by writing in this thread the way i am,i'm just seeking the opinions of others.
Wish you best of luck with your refurb.

KingStromba
18-08-2005, 18:46
But Fatboys and Snakeyladies wheels are almost a perfect match. So you CAN get them refurbed the right colour if you try.

Fred
18-08-2005, 18:56
fab, just to clear up, WHERE DID YOU GET THESE WHEELS???

WHY DID YOU BUY THEM IF THEY'RE APPARENTLY PAINTED WITH A BRUSH?????

FATBOY
18-08-2005, 18:57
i like the end look of my refurbs! but im not sure if they were painted or powdercoated???

Slithers
18-08-2005, 19:02
FFS ppl, all the thread was jon askin for advice on refurbs.

If someone wants to bitch about something they bought of someone else, ring them, e-mail them, write to them, go and speak to them face to face, fax them, page them, PM them. Cos i really dont wanna read thru shite to get useful info.

fab
18-08-2005, 19:19
ahh yep slithers its a brain melter of a topic!
i promise not to ask the question again so long as nobody else does.

bigjim
18-08-2005, 19:53
do freds refurbs have the lacquered rim like the originals? im pretty sure they dont iirc

fab
18-08-2005, 20:07
whoever you get to do them they have to fill at least one of the following criteria:
1.Own or have owned a williams
2.love their job
3.understand that their is only one way to do this,perfect.

Fred
18-08-2005, 21:01
whoever you get to do them they have to fill at least one of the following criteria:
3.understand that their is only one way to do this,perfect.

yeah buy new ones

NickFr
18-08-2005, 21:27
Anyway, mine are in a terrible state, anything would be an improvement ....they currently look like they have been handpainted by a five year old in a chinese sweat shop using airfix gold paint. :oops:

Stop Press....the GF has owned up it was her that did it :evil: :wink:

fab
18-08-2005, 21:30
well there we have it.the definitive answer to all of our problems. =D>
like I said before Fred,if i lived in the UK and brought my wheels to be refurbed and they turned out like the ones I was sent by paul I would be doin the quarter mile on the persons face with them.

Fred
19-08-2005, 00:21
fair enough, i've now decided to remove all discounts from Williams Clio, you don't like our work fair enough, but slagging off is uncalled for and childish

and the insults to me personally are very uncalled for

you want 100% original buy new

goodbye

KingStromba
19-08-2005, 00:35
LOL, good man Fred. I would have done it ages ago. Cant beleive you put up with this shit for so long.

Enid
19-08-2005, 07:37
Looks to me like the only way to be truely satisfied is to take the Stromba route and buy new ones and make sure you look after them.

If only I had 800 odd quid lying around :?

J o n
19-08-2005, 08:18
well done Stromba, you going to alienate the rest of us because you have personal issues and agenda's? how about growing up and stop being such a bitter sad pathetic little boy?

you may have no intention of getting your wheels done, but you've ****ed that up for anyone else... well done... :evil:

Dancliovalver
19-08-2005, 08:36

Gaz, i'll speak to them tomorrow. I'm going to book mine in for saturday, let me know what you think pal.[/quote]

yes matey you can get a gloss powder coat and a lacqor (sorry bout spelling) , on my last willy wheels i powder coated them at work with 2 coats of gloss black and 3 coats of lacqor and you couls see ur face in em they where awsome!!! but powder coating is more of a dull matt finish compaired to paint, but dont right u can still have a pretty awsome finish with powder, i have a dull "OFF" white which i use for some of the gaurds at work and did a set of turbines for a mate and they looked awsome 2!

2 live
19-08-2005, 08:58
well.....if u want the rite colour....dont pay for the refurbs til they are.

im aware that a couple of ppl have had probs with the colour match from pro-clean....but i have been told they match the colour to the wheel , i.e they paint it the same colour it goes in......so if its the wrong colour when they get it..theyl refurb it the same colour..wrong lol

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 09:05
Well done fellas, 1 down not many to go :roll:

Fab to be fair mate, your beef is with Infinicar not Fred, they sold you the wheels.

All this bitching is gonna be the end of this club before it's even begun to flower :cry:

fab
19-08-2005, 09:13
there aint no bitchin goin on.
we are having a discussion about wheel refurbs and in particular my recent experience with a set.
I'm sure Fred has no shortage of work going on and can do without hassle however critisim is part and parcel of anybodys job.Whether you critise yourself or are critised by others it usually happens to make us aware.

ITS BUSINESS AND NOT PERSONAL.

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 09:19
there aint no bitchin goin on.
we are having a discussion about wheel refurbs and in particular my recent experience with a set.
I'm sure Fred has no shortage of work going on and can do without hassle however critisim is part and parcel of anybodys job.Whether you critise yourself or are critised by others it usually happens to make us aware.

ITS BUSINESS AND NOT PERSONAL.

Not being funny mate, but if someone said they were gonna 1/4 mile on my face about my work, I would be insulted, just as I presume Fred is.

J o n
19-08-2005, 09:47
Monkeys right, there's a thing called tact, sadly this isn't displayed on here and as a result people dont offer us discounts, they hardly post to offer advice... in fact, look how quiet this place is compared to when we started to get going. I think this is down to the fact that people cant come on here without some prick rubbishing the products and mindlessly slagging it off when they actually know **** all. Look at it this way, we have no sponsor or noone wanting to have advert banners... can you think why this may be?

Fab, we understand your not happy, but take it up with the individual elsewhere, tbh this club is a ****ing joke at the moment and is in danger of dying out. At this rate I certainly wont bother renewing my membership, in fact at the moment I want a ****ing refund.

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 09:50
I'm with you Jesus =D>

Lets start our own club, www.bigwillys.net I propose

J o n
19-08-2005, 09:54
PMSL, prolly not a bad idea...

the thing I find most annoying is that I want to get my wheels refurbed and you get people hijacking the thread so they can bitch someone out, well let me tell you, if you want to do that, start your own ****ing threads, dont do it on mine. It's a rare day anything ever stays on topic in here as you always seem to get some know it all just slagging things off for the sake of it... very disappointed, not only with the BS in this thread but lack of moderator intervention. Sort it out people before this place slips into oblivion... anyway, about my wheels... :roll:

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 09:55
Get them done at proclean then Jon, they'll be fine especially if they are not going to be gold

J o n
19-08-2005, 09:57
yeah i'm gonna give them a call now. is there any point trying to get some discount for a group buy? 2 reasons I ask:

1) they are pretty damn cheap as it is...

2) no doubt someone will slag them off and **** that up as well

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 09:58
To be honest mate I doubt you'll get a discount on a group buy, like you say they are already cheap enough, how long do they quote from start to finish?

Are you taking the wheel in sepratly or are you leaving the car?

J o n
19-08-2005, 10:09
i'll have to leave the car i think, gonna see how long they take as I may need someone to go up with me if its an all day job...

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 10:12
i'll have to leave the car i think, gonna see how long they take as I may need someone to go up with me if its an all day job...

I was under the impression it was a couple of days of a job

J o n
19-08-2005, 10:14
really!? how long did yours take?

(cant be doing that, got the run out on Sunday... you going to that Rob?)

FlamingMonkey
19-08-2005, 10:17
really!? how long did yours take?

(cant be doing that, got the run out on Sunday... you going to that Rob?)

I left mine for a week, but I couldn't get over any sooner anyway, think it was a couple of days.

Not sure about Sunday I need a gasket for this new downpipe as it's blowing, sounds like a scooby hehe, just phoned my guy and he's gonna order one now, if it turns up today I'm gonna bob past on way home from work to fit it.

In other words if I get a gasket for my pipe i'll come if not, prolly not.

J o n
19-08-2005, 10:26
dont worry about that mate, my decat is blowing like a goodun since it hit some rather nasty speed bumps the other day in Huddersfield! never seen owt like em! i'll be going anyway, give Northy etc a chance to keep up ;)