PDA

View Full Version : Wheel arch repair help

will.i.am.s2
18-04-2012, 22:22
Evening all,

took the williams for her first mot under my ownership today and it wasnt as bad as expected for once :D

The major thing to sort out is my crusty wheel arches which failed because they are within 30cm of the suspension mountings. Anyway they have gone on the bottom corners were the sill meets the arch, its not serious rot its were the paint has come off and corroded the metal underneath. So was wondering what the best materials are to repair this myself to keep costs down. Im not after a show car finish as the whole car needs paint so am just looking to dodge it through the mot for now with some kind of rust treatment, filler and black primer over it as a temporary measure.

Has anyone any expereince with this kind of thing and can you still get the 449 paint out of interest?

Wobba
19-04-2012, 10:24
That won't work.

You need to get it ground back to good metal and a plate welded in at the very least.

It need to be solid, they will find filler. It's only cost me like £30-70 each time mine failed there tbh. I have a whole new sill section there now, so it wont fail for a looong time now.

will.i.am.s2
19-04-2012, 19:41
I should of posted a pic realy but theres no rot there. Its were the paint has chipped off and its turned the metal underneath rust coloured which ive already sanded off :) The arches and sills were done on it only a couple of years back so luckily its all pretty solid. I dont know about yours but all down the side of mine under the door trims has been blasted with stone chips from the front wheels and because the rear quarters are flared its been hit quite a bit hence the paint falling off :? it could have something to do with the roads around here i guess or the fact my front wheels are running alot of negative camber.

icenutter
19-04-2012, 20:36
If its just superficial rust that you have sanded or ground away, then you can treat it with a rust converter, then primer, then maybe some filler, then paint ontop. This works well if you don't rush!

If its actually a hole (after removing the rust) then the only real solution is cutting the rusty metal away, then welding new metal in, then the same process as above.

If you want a guide, then there's one in this months Classic Monthly magazine. In last months Practical Classics there's an MOT guide: there's quite a vague interpretation on what constitutes major rust, so if it is minor on your car then maybe take it to another MOT station...