PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Ultimate handling set up for my track car???

trackerdave
15-04-2012, 22:30
I've just ought the Clio Williams 2 I intend using as a track car with Friend, the car already has new GAZ Coil overs and on the front a carbon strut brace but what anti roll bars front and rear and other mods would help me on track? It has good track tyres and the brakes will be used before assessing them.

16v_paddy
15-04-2012, 22:43
The front ARB is already the best it can be with it being a williams unless you want to go silly with something custom made - not sure but I believe a 172 ARB is better & fits, someone more in the know will have to confirm that though :?

Powerflex bushes for the ARB will be beneficial. As for the rear you'll be wanting some shocks that are or can be adjusted to be pretty stiff, I use rear shocks from a cup racer & I like how they make the rear end a bit more lively even with red hot sticky R888's, lets me steer the car round really tight bends by lifting off & feathering the throttle pedal but that is with standard shocks up front, not sure if it'd be as playful with stiffer ones at the front though :?
There's nothing else you can really do to the rear of the car unless you fancy experimenting with the rear beam from a kangoo van

trackerdave
15-04-2012, 23:03
Thanks for the quick reply. The Gaz coilovers all round are fully adjustable but as the car is only being used on track so id have to spend time on the day fiddling with the setup, i will deffo get poly bushes for the ARB and dog bone but ive read about camber bolts and shims!! are these recommended?

Regards Dave

16v_paddy
15-04-2012, 23:50
Personally I wouldn't bother with camber bolts but that's more down to personal preference as I'm very happy with my current setup even more so after driving other mk1 clio's on road & track - plus I don't think I'm good enough at driving the car to make adequate use of things like that.......yet :twisted:

I'd say fiddle about with it all & see how you feel about it as it's going to be personal preference of the driver that will determine what the best setup is

I think I've got some eibach camber bolts floating around somewhere if you want to give them a whirl :wink: I only got them as I was gonna go with a pikey R19 widetrack but my plans have changed massively so they're sat doing nothing......well assuming I haven't lost the bloody things :roll:

Wobba
15-04-2012, 23:51
Camber bolts for the front work well for negative camber. Shims...forget it tbh.

Powerflex ARB bushes and wishbone bushes will help. New track rods and ends are nice, I prefer my solid adjustable top mounts to stock on my various sets of coilovers I've had as well.

Tyres will be a big decision and can help massively for faster laps, but not necessarily fun factor.

I hear GAZ Golds are pretty goods, as are Sportline and LEDA coilovers. You can go silly money but it's not worth it unless you plan on winning the BTCC. AVO I found to be good. KW's are really good quality bit have taken me ages to get to the way I like (with custom springs at 550lb on the front, which is a lot).

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/renault-clio-mk1-williams-ast-sportline-i-coilovers.html

I will try these next I think ^

trackerdave
16-04-2012, 23:15
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Any ideas where to start with tyre pressures?

The cars stripped out throughtout and im running Prada S2`s on standard rims.

Any help would be great.

16v_paddy
16-04-2012, 23:36
Nevermind the pressures, get R888's or similar :wink:

As good as the Yoko's are on the road, they're utter shite on track, I've driven back to back with both & despite them only being the medium GG compound that I've got, the difference is astounding. I always keep an eye out for used ones on ebay & PH as they can be got at bargain prices and last for ages for track use, 1 pair of R888's that I bought in 2010 with less than road legal tread have lasted me for 5 track days

Pressure wise, I set mine cold around 26-27 psi, get them nice & hot then set all 4 to 30 psi then leave them alone - I didn't do that on my very 1st track day and things got broke :oops: :lol: the pressures when hot will depend on what the track is like for example Castle Combe is mostly fast right hand bends so when getting hot the tyres on the left of the car get hotter & the pressures higher than the other side so you'd have to let out more air on that side to balance things out :wink:

trackerdave
17-04-2012, 01:34
Thanks for that detail its spot on.

Anyone got any 888???? :D :evil: :D

16v_paddy
17-04-2012, 01:50
Just keep an eye out on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYO-R888-195-50-15-2-x-USED-TYRES-SUITABLE-TRACKDAYS-/400291860694?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d334110d6#ht_500wt_969

and the motorsports parts for sale section on pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=538

To give you an idea of cost, I recently got a pair of road legal R888's on PH for £50 delivered :P Personally I'd refuse to pay more than £80 - 90 for a pair :wink:

trackerdave
17-04-2012, 02:23
Thanks for you help again, I will keep them peeled.