PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft issues. Info needed pls.

diditno
27-03-2012, 18:01
I have just changed the engine and gearbox in the willy2 for a Williams 1 engine and gearbox. After various lassies, I've come to the last one hopefully. The passenger side driveshaft will not fit in to the gearbox, the tri sections seems too big. It fits the Williams 2 gearbox perfectly but not the Williams 1 gearbox.

1. Can anyone tell me if the the round type ends are different sizes,
and 2. Does anybody have a Williams 1 driveshaft for sale. Thanks. Steve

schakal
27-03-2012, 20:25
i have seen this on a r5 gtt shaft driver side . the tripod was larger it would not fit into the bit that goes into the g/b (splined end)

Have a look ,you might be able to swap the tripod if the shaft thicknesses are
the same etc . taking the tripod out is not that hard ,you will see if you look again .

diditno
27-03-2012, 20:31
I've tried to remove the tripod end, but it's solid, so I'd like to just change the driveshaft. Thanks for the info

schakal
27-03-2012, 22:12
I've tried to remove the tripod end, but it's solid, so I'd like to just change the driveshaft. Thanks for the info

yeah its solid so it wont come off easy . lol

There should be a C clip to pull out before you can tap the tripod out .
But like i said make sure the splines are same amount and thickness before you start removing .

diditno
27-03-2012, 22:17
It's ok removing it, but I haven't got another tripod to fit to it, that will fit the gearbox, hence why a complete one would be easier.

cliokiz
28-03-2012, 09:04
Much easier solution.

Remove the circlip and washer from the gearbox, remove the driveshaft cup.

Do the same for the gearbox the driveshaft did fit in. Re-fit the cup into the gearbox you want to use, refit the circlip and washer, insert driveshaft. Job done.

I've had this problem before.

diditno
28-03-2012, 09:31
I may try that. Thanks for the info

16v_paddy
28-03-2012, 10:21
I may try that. Thanks for the info

That would certainly be quicker & easier than the solution I just PM'd you with :lol:

schakal
28-03-2012, 14:43
Much easier solution.

Remove the circlip and washer from the gearbox, remove the driveshaft cup.

Do the same for the gearbox the driveshaft did fit in. Re-fit the cup into the gearbox you want to use, refit the circlip and washer, insert driveshaft. Job done.

I've had this problem before.

or that yeah ^^^

:P 8)