PDA

View Full Version : strange oil leak

will.i.am.s2
21-03-2012, 19:42
Evening all, heres my daily post/moanfor today :)

Ive had a small oil leak for a while now which i thought was the rocker cover gasket but now apears not to be. On closer inspection today oil is collecting under the spark plug cover and running down the passenger side of the block. It looks to me like its coming from the oil cap area but its a bit hard to say. I had the oil cap just tight enough for me to undo by hand but have now tightened it to hell with mull grips to see if that stops it. You dont notice it until throwing the car round a bend then all you get is a massive whiff of oil! Could anyone advise on this? could it be the oil cap?

andyleep
21-03-2012, 20:09
Could be the cap - it has/should have a seal in it. But it only needs to be tightened by hand! I would say rocker cover gasket

16v_paddy
21-03-2012, 21:18
Clean it up & remove all the plastic from the rocker cover then go for a drive then you'll easily be able to tell exactly where in that area it's coming from :wink:

will.i.am.s2
21-03-2012, 22:27
Yeah think thats for the best :D i forgot about the design of the gasket its possible its leaking from the middle of the rocker i guess around the spark plug area

will.i.am.s2
21-03-2012, 22:36
damn just thought whats probably happening is when im pushing it hard around bends its probably just spilling the oil thats built up in the spark plug area:) could explain a few of my running problems if the plugs are soaked in oil not to mention my expensive new oil going to waste, new rocker gasket this weekend then :) Ive put up with this for 9 months, madness on my part :oops: