PDA

View Full Version : removing my gear box my self???!!!

Mattie
16-08-2005, 20:46
is it possible and if so how hard? any 1 got ne manulas diagrams or tips that can help me???

gona try it on the weekend with 2 of my m8s if its posible!

richy
16-08-2005, 21:00
it can be done on axle stands, i did mine on the drive, u need to take subframe off and drop the box out that way, make sure u got plenty tools and jacks etc

Mattie
16-08-2005, 21:02
it can be done on axle stands, i did mine on the drive, u need to take subframe off and drop the box out that way, make sure u got plenty tools and jacks etc

yeye weve got plenty of jacks n stands n ramps :D

did u follow any guides rich or was it just trial and error?...also how long did it take u?

richy
16-08-2005, 21:07
i do it alot at work lol so no need for any books, cant be sure on overal time but took me a hour to get subframe out way then half out to get box out on me own, then about 2 hour on top to rebuild it!! so 5-6hours ish

Mattie
16-08-2005, 21:10
ahh rite...take it ur a mechanic then? lol

how long u rekon it wud take me n 2 m8s who have a little bit of knowledge bout mechanics but never atemptd this b4.....bout 3 days or so? lol

fab
16-08-2005, 21:13
you got a new box then?
let me know if you want the tech manual.It has all the torque settings.

richy
16-08-2005, 21:17
lol yes i am, how long it takes depends on few things, 1 if its all rusty and seized or not, 2 how much u can be arsed! do it over weekend and should be fine

Mattie
16-08-2005, 21:22
you got a new box then?

na cudnt find 1 allthough iv PMd j3ned 2 c if he cd get me 1......im removing mine so i can take it 2 get it reconditiond......

is the manual an online manual m8 that u can email me?

Mattie
16-08-2005, 21:24
lol yes i am, how long it takes depends on few things, 1 if its all rusty and seized or not, 2 how much u can be arsed! do it over weekend and should be fine

will i def be able 2 get it recond no matta wot state its in...or is there a cirtain point 2 which its ****d?! lol

fab
16-08-2005, 21:27
you got a new box then?

na cudnt find 1 allthough iv PMd j3ned 2 c if he cd get me 1......im removing mine so i can take it 2 get it reconditiond......

is the manual an online manual m8 that u can email me?

dont know if its online but i'll mail it to ye anyway.pm your email address.

VIPERONE
16-08-2005, 21:34
spek to winston, he has a new method to half the labour time on removing gearbox.. you actuall raise it out of the bay.. i thnk its along the lines of lowering one side of subframe and removing coil and some other ancils from that side of the engine bay..
gunner

Mattie
16-08-2005, 21:37
spek to winston, he has a new method to half the labour time on removing gearbox.. you actuall raise it out of the bay.. i thnk its along the lines of lowering one side of subframe and removing coil and some other ancils from that side of the engine bay..
gunner

ahh rite ill PM him! thanks!

keep the info cumin people! :)

lewis_willy2
17-08-2005, 19:24
make sure u dont mess the electrics up i done my gearbox 3 weeks ago and ****ed up a bit of wirin, now got a prob which no1 can fix!!!!
not that hard a job tho prob take a good day of hard work tho :)

Mattie
18-08-2005, 08:58
wot electric problem u got m8?

2 live
18-08-2005, 09:09
gunner

take the clutch off and u abs and u dont need to drop the s/frame......but its a tw@ to do that way.....longer ways are often easier lol

clowo16v
18-08-2005, 11:17
Last time I did it I just took the whole engine out. It's a lot easier than just taking the gearbox out on its own, especially lining the clutch up etc.

See ya

Matt

Mattie
18-08-2005, 11:36
Last time I did it I just took the whole engine out. It's a lot easier than just taking the gearbox out on its own, especially lining the clutch up etc.

See ya

Matt

i c....how dificult is takin the engine out????

wot do people recomend......droping subframe or takin engine out???

Winston
18-08-2005, 12:12
Ive try'd all three............non of them are fun lol

Engine out .......quickish
Subframe.........slow...never again lol (well without ramps)
Engine in..........quick if you know what your doing :P

matty84
18-08-2005, 15:08
got mine out througth the top. ****in tight in the end cliped a tow rope on it and forced it out :)

Flan
19-08-2005, 11:52
Bit of Advise,

If your taking it out of the top. Make sure you Have the chain on the driver's side shorter. That way the Engine will lift like \ It should be at about 30-40 Deg. That way the gearbox cover won't foul the inner pannels. It is tight though but this sholuld make it easyer. o and take the Black mount of your gearbox completely. or it will scratch your power steering pipes to sh1t...

Stu

Mattie
19-08-2005, 12:16
wot exactly will i be takin out from under the hood?....the engine and wot else? like ne bits attatched or can i leave them in n jus detatch them from the engine?

Flan
22-08-2005, 16:41
well I've only been into Clio's for bout 4 months n my firt experiance was an engine swap. 1.8 for willy. So some1 correct me if im wrong,

Take out the battery, undo hub nuts
remove bonnet and front pannel
Jack up on stands, remove wheels
disconect suspention,steering rack,remove nuts from driveshafts
pull the shafts out the hubs
remove the shafts form the box end. (3bolts n/s) (roll pin the o/s)
note the box will piss out oil....

Remove coolant pipes and remove fan and rad

undo and block the power steering pipe at the front

undo and remove rear gearbox mount. (dog bone and black gearbox mount)
Remove ecu unplug and place on engine.
There's a few vacume pipes you need to disconect
Remove downpipe,
Get a crane on the engine...
take the slack and undo the big cast unit under the battery and the gearbox mount
Undo the o/s engine mount.
unplug the loom from the o/s black box and earth strap
unplug the speedo sensor..

check all is disconected and it should come out the top..

hopfully

lol

The only way to learn is to just do it... You mey get stuck but some1 on here will always help you.

Pm me if you need any details or info

Stuart