PDA

View Full Version : In need of quite a lot of help

will.i.am.s2
08-03-2012, 23:42
Evening all, currently in a spot of bother with my williams and on the verge of pulling my hair out. Basicaly its developed a nasty rattle bang on 3000rpm all the way up the revs. Sounds like cam rattlle to me but realy dont know. Is 3000rpm the point were the 2nd cam kicks in? I changed the oil from fully synthetic to the correct grade for the winter and since then its all gone tits up :cry:

I was thinking of getting some super thin fully synth to see if that gets rid of the rattle but ive got doubts it will work. Could possibly geta a new head or cams or....It would have been covered a million times before but in laymans terms what is involved in dropping a megane f7r engine in a williams as they seem readily available?

16v_paddy
09-03-2012, 00:11
These aren't v-tecs so no 2nd cam to kick in :wink:

How nasty is it? Try & post a video & we'll probably be able to give you a better answer.
As for the megane engine, all you need to do is fit a williams head & flywheel to it & job's a good un because the megane block is virtually identical to the williams 1 :wink:

Coops
09-03-2012, 13:49
as above, a video would really help diagnosis. if you can film the noisiet part in your opinion, as in does it sound like its coming from top or bottom end?

Wobba
09-03-2012, 14:48
Need to hear it really.

will.i.am.s2
10-03-2012, 15:46
okay lads cheers il see if i can get a decent recording of it but its not that loud so might not pick it up. It appears to be coming from the head and its quite a deep rattle....il post up a clip in a bit.

Definately only present at 3000rpm upwards when accelarating there seems to be a sweet spot on the throttle were it goes realy quite or stops.Theres no loss of power yet so im a bit confused on this 8)

will.i.am.s2
10-03-2012, 15:48
okay lads cheers il see if i can get a decent recording of it but its not that loud so might not pick it up. It appears to be coming from the head and its quite a deep rattle....il post up a clip in a bit.

Definately only present at 3000rpm upwards when accelarating there seems to be a sweet spot on the throttle were it goes realy quite or stops.Theres no loss of power yet so im a bit confused on this 8)

16v_paddy
11-03-2012, 03:28
I'm gonna have a stab in the dark & say it's noisy tappets

will.i.am.s2
12-03-2012, 00:51
yeah could well be paddy...i did do a recording but after uploading it to my pc i realised you couldnt here it, i taped a digi camera to my rear view mirror and drove, could only here exhaust :D I will do one and post up in the week as i can get it to do it when its stationary.

I changed the oil back to 5w/40 fully synthetic and put an original oil filter on today and its going alot better with perfect oil presure again so i guess its nothing catastophic as it goes like stink still. we had a good look over it anyway and recon it could be some kind of pulley / bearing or knackered tappet. I was thinking cams or bottom end but It only does it under load, if you back of the revs over 3k there is no noise and you can hold the throttle in a way and accelarate and it virtualy stops.

Im just going to take it easy on it for now anyway get it moted again then send it of to my local race car preparers for a nose and tinker 8)

Wobba
12-03-2012, 10:31
Drive it till it blows up and don't worry about it tbh.

Coops
12-03-2012, 16:16
my 172 does something similar at 2500rpm, vibration and knock from top end

so I just keep the revs over 2500 :twisted: :lol:

will.i.am.s2
12-03-2012, 21:27
yeah i think drive it till it blows is the way its going, may get another engine ready :lol:

Wobba
13-03-2012, 12:06
You sound like me in my early days...worrying all the time!

It does take time to iron out the issues with old cars like these. Fix the obvious stuff, refresh the obvious stuff. Don't kill yourself guessing about things, just take it easy and drive it till it goes wrong and fix it as it fails.

After a while you will get a good understanding of everything on the car and almost instantly know what noises are!

will.i.am.s2
13-03-2012, 23:09
Your right there wobba :D Im like that with noises on the e30 bmw after owning them for years know them inside out, slowly learning with the clio but its fun learning!

your right about worrying its realy not worth worrying about as im sure you know these cars are relatively cheap to put right compared to other cars with the same performance, i must admit its hard for me to worry about cost of ownership with the williams which is refreshing 8)

16v_paddy
13-03-2012, 23:28
Your right there wobba :D Im like that with noises on the e30 bmw after owning them for years know them inside out

Oh hai!! 8)

You wanna hear the noises my E30 makes :shock: :lol: The fuel pump sounds like an angry Messerschmitt, exhaust & suspension knocking their tits off & the tappets making the same noise as riverdance in fast forward x10 :P But good old Keith just keeps going & going transporting god knows how many clio engines & gearboxes over the past 12 months 8)

will.i.am.s2
14-03-2012, 23:36
lol yours isnt a white touring is it with black leather? sounds just like my old one....

ive had 3 325i's and they have all had noisy tappets theres sod all you can do realy, i nearly got rid of it the once on an early 325 sport tech1 but it soon came back :lol: Great cars thow and realy were made to go on forever (except the rot) Ivebeen lucky enough to own 2 tech1's, 1 had a manual rack and was an absolute animal of a car, the williams is the only thing ive owned close to it for driver enjoyment.

would like one as a daily again so the williams could have a bit of love as it sure deserves it after covering 14k in 10 months with me at the wheel

16v_paddy
15-03-2012, 00:05
Ah, mine's only a 318i but it's my little donkey, reliable workhorse that keeps on going even when it's broke 8)

will.i.am.s2
15-03-2012, 00:13
it will do mate they seem good at that, that old touring of mine dodged its way through some mot's lol bet its still going :wink:

16v_paddy
15-03-2012, 01:39
I really want a touring as my saloon is bloody useless for moving large objects around, something the valver seems to excell at :P

will.i.am.s2
15-03-2012, 18:59
Yeah I bet as you cant fold the rear seats down :lol: The e30 touring is a decent load lugger but from experience the e34 touring is even betterfor load lugging (and cheaper)