PDA

View Full Version : Idling issues

p4cks
06-03-2012, 19:42
I've jut recently encountered some idling problems on my Willy 3.

It starts first time, every time. However sometimes when it is cold, it will lose power when I approach a junction when the clutch is pressed where normally it would stop at 1000rpm.

Also once the car is hot, it occasionally idles at 1500rpm.

I'm pretty confident that the problem is linked. The car, other than this, performs as it should.

Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks

andyleep
06-03-2012, 20:50
Idle control valve? Give it a good clean!

lkcio86
06-03-2012, 21:28
thats probably a good place to start looking, but failing that make sure the wires on the throttle position sensor arent shorting together this can make them cut out and rev high, mine was doung it last week, the insulation comes off the wires at the plug end and the sensor end so taping them with insulation tape solves the problem

p4cks
27-05-2012, 17:52
UPDATE

The idling issue has been fixed, however a new problem has arisen. After going anywhere full throttle, the engine idles at 2k revs until I turn the ignition off then back on again. Something electrical as opposed to mechanical I think.

I looked at the idling problems thread however nothing seems to have worked.

Do any of you have any other suggestions?

16v_russ
28-05-2012, 14:18
Earth lead on the speedo cable needs re-earthing, it resets when you switch the engine off and fire it back up, hence why it only idles once you have been driving

p4cks
28-05-2012, 15:45
Earth lead on the speedo cable needs re-earthing, it resets when you switch the engine off and fire it back up, hence why it only idles once you have been driving

Thanks for responding Russ. I looked at this remedy however dismissed it as I assumed that the speedo cable had no impact on the running of the car and was purely a tool for plugging into the back of the instrument cluster to tell the driver how fast he was going.

Excuse my ignorance, but how does the speedo cable affect the engine revs?

Thanks again
Pack

Coops
28-05-2012, 15:52
it has a sensor on it called the road speed sensor, this keeps the revs up if it detects the cars still moving to enable smoother gear changes etc as revs never drop to idle this way.

if its badly earthed the car thinks its still moving even when your stopped so it revs high. theres also the additional issue of the opposite occurring and the car no knowing your moving, as such on overrun the car will overfuel badly.

p4cks
28-05-2012, 17:16
Well **** me. Thanks for your responses, I'll give it a whirl tonight and report with my findings.

p4cks
29-05-2012, 13:26
Thanks again to everyone that replied. The 2k idling after a spirited drive isue has now gone but now it idles about 1.5k revs.

The ICV has been replaced, and the throttle body cleaned however the problem persists. Also, the MPG is appalling because of it.

So again, the floor is yours...

16v_russ
29-05-2012, 17:19
did you earth the correct bit mate?

next thing to look at is the throttle body, it has a screw on the top that can control idle speed, but are set from the factory and shouldn't be touched, but unfortunately more have been fiddled with - from memory, I believe the screw should be wound all the way in bar about half a turn (im sure someone will confirm/correct me) and i bet yours has been unscrewed a little.

16v_russ
29-05-2012, 17:20
Also check lambda probe RE the poor mpg

p4cks
29-05-2012, 18:35
did you earth the correct bit mate?

next thing to look at is the throttle body, it has a screw on the top that can control idle speed, but are set from the factory and shouldn't be touched, but unfortunately more have been fiddled with - from memory, I believe the screw should be wound all the way in bar about half a turn (im sure someone will confirm/correct me) and i bet yours has been unscrewed a little.

The idle control screw appears to have a yellow mark on it which shows its position. Doesn't look like its ever been moved though :-/

Without plugging the car in, how do I check the lambda sensor works OK? I assumed that the poor MPG would be related to the idling problem?

Also, it only idles high when I've been driving it. Like when it heats up. Seems strange.

Coops
30-05-2012, 10:43
coolant temp sensor could be causing it

failing that there's a list somewhere of correct ohm resistance reading for the throttle position sensor which can be tested as well with a multimeter

p4cks
04-06-2012, 19:49
Checked the earth on the speedo cable and it was fine, so wasn't that causing the problem.

ICV has been replaced so it's not that either. Maybe the throttle body itself?

p4cks
31-07-2012, 10:23
Idling issue seems to have sorted itself out. MPG is fine too, so I suspect it was a dodgly connection of some sort as I took the speedo cable out and refitted it and voila! Fixed.

Mrbrightsi
08-08-2012, 21:39
Just read this thread and going through the same issues, just with the oposite of revs. Dying down and just running like a bag, smelling ultra rich and just not having the right power anymore. I've read the lambda and CTS bits, anyway of checking either of them before i go silly and replace?

p4cks
09-08-2012, 08:39
Possibly the idle control valve or throttle body. Remove and clean both, then put them back on and see if that fixes it.