PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibrating at 60mph and play in wheels

lkcio86
28-02-2012, 21:17
Hi there, my car has just started vibrating fairly bad at around 60mph while accelerating but dies away if throttle is released, not even harsh acceleration is needed to get it to vibrate, i know the top engine mounting is dickie is this likely to be it? also with front wheels jacked up there is front to back play asif T.R.E are worn but its the full steering rack arms that are moving, yet there is no slop at the steering wheel, i.e turn the steering wheel and road wheels move instantly, most weird! anyone any ideas

Wobba
29-02-2012, 11:07
Could be inner balljoints on the track rods need doing, even a tiny bit of wear can be felt when driving.

Also, you may have thrown a wheel weight as that kind of vibration can be due to poor balancing or a flat spot on a tyre, if it's been left standing for any time.

lkcio86
29-02-2012, 11:43
ah never realised there were serviceable ball joints on the inner side of the track arms, are these expensive/difficult to replace?

chip
29-02-2012, 11:44
Sounds like probably track rod into the rack, bit of a pain in the arse job to do unless you actually have the right tool, passenger side you can do with molegrips but you have no chance really on the drivers side cause of the engine being in the way.

Wobba
29-02-2012, 11:45
They are a bitch to replace if you don't have the equipment, as they are locked on.

I posted a thread a few months ago when I did mine again.

There's loads of posts about what type of inner and outer rods you can use.

It's a job worth doing though, tightens the car up :)

chip
29-02-2012, 11:46
PS

This is the sort of tool, but I cant remember off hand which size you need for the williams:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034HOSNG/ref=asc_df_B0034HOSNG6781255?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0034HOSNG

(ie, dont buy that one unless someone says that specific one will work, im just giving you an idea of what they look like and cost etc)