PDA

View Full Version : Water leak.

JamieG
27-02-2012, 20:26
I think the Williams has a water leak.

I had to top the coolant up yesterday, took it to work, flushed the system out, refilled it today. Bled up all ok - as you'd expect.

Drove home 22 miles and coolant is at minimum. Will top it up and take it back to work.

Is there any common pipes / areas for leaking. There is a coolant stain around the top hose on the rad - but it never looks damp.

Any help / experience / guidance would be appreciated.

Jamie

wrighty
27-02-2012, 20:34
HI Jamie, water pump? Had a couple go over the years!

JamieG
27-02-2012, 20:51
That was the one thing I hope it isn't tbh.

Spose it'll be a good reason to get many of the things I want / need to get done though. Aux belt, timing belt & a general good bloody tidy up!

diditno
27-02-2012, 21:49
May of just been an airlock that cleared

Lunner
28-02-2012, 11:38
If its only leaking whilst moving and there is no visible puddles under the car when left then signs point to water pump, see if there is any water coming out of the little hole on the bottom of the pump, just under the spindle.

Wobba
28-02-2012, 11:50
Get it warm and have a good scope of all hoses too, give em a squeeze. Amazing how hard tiny hose splits are too spot. Feel under the expansion bottle and pipes as well. Check the hose to the rad especially if you can see residue.

I've had two split coolant hoses from the metal oil cooler pipes which go into the heater matrix.

Also, have a check for mayo in he oil cap.

JamieG
28-02-2012, 20:06
Topped it up again this morning - drove the 29 odd miles to work - checked It and was where I topped it up too. Wahey!

It was going up to 2/3 on temp gauge when stuck in traffic and fan kicked in.

Next issue is, when I flushed the coolant out - it was the typical rusty brown colour. I refilled with type D - but the coolant has gone rusty shade again. How can I get rid of that rusty colour?

Damn coolant cost me £17.00 too.

diditno
28-02-2012, 22:01
The only way to clear the rusty colour is to just stick a ose in it and keep flushing it until it goes clearer. Then refill with coolant

JamieG
28-02-2012, 22:08
I think we're just going to have to do it longer!

Wobba
29-02-2012, 11:13
You'll never get rid of the shit in three unless you replace rad, matrix, all coolant hoses and have the engine out and clean all the waterways lol.

A big flush helps tho!