PDA

View Full Version : Ecu problem

schakal
18-02-2012, 01:05
I have a 1.8 16v ecu which had a chip carrier fitted long time ago ,the soldering of the carrier was poor as far as i can tell . Fitted a standard clio williams eprom i bought and tried the ecu on my renault 19 now fitted with the williams engine .
As soon as the engine is started up the revs would gradually go up and up
where i would have to kill it around 4-4.5k
I put this down to the soldering which i believed to be poor ,so i sent it to Kj16v on this website for him to solder it professionaly . He returned the ecu back to me after resoldering the carrier but i still have the same problem as before ,the revs just keep going up .

I checked the ecu very carefuly and there is no visible damage anywhere inside . I also have a standard 1.8 16v ecu and once this is fitted to the same car ,it idles perfectly fine so its not a matter of wiring etc .

Anyone had this sort of problem before ?? :?:

fabulicious
24-02-2012, 19:07
Would it not be the standard williams chip you are using that is at fault? where did you get it from and could you not have got a different default williams chip installed by Kj?
Had this problem before and a new ecu cured it.

schakal
24-02-2012, 20:35
It might be the ecu rather than the chip itself as it was poorly soldered
before mate . I shall soon find out though .

Currently running on 1.8 ecu , not too bad but missing the
badboy williams kick i reckon .

FATBOY
24-02-2012, 21:40
why dont you just bite the bullet and get a williams(the whole car)!!!! :wink:

schakal
25-02-2012, 00:51
why dont you just bite the bullet and get a williams(the whole car)!!!! :wink:

That would be too big of a bullet mate , i got enough renault turd on my plate tbqfhwu :wink: thank you good night ,much love 8)

schakal
04-03-2012, 12:42
FFS :evil:

I had another ecu with a chip carrier installed in it and put the standard chip i had from Kj but still doing exactly the same thing .

Is this ****ing chip not working or what ??? :roll:

sideways danny
04-03-2012, 15:13
doesn't sound like an ECU fault to me.

Airleak

schakal
04-03-2012, 16:27
doesn't sound like an ECU fault to me.

Airleak

Mate same car working with standard ecu perfectly fine when i swap to 2nd ecu it revs to fokk ,how is it an air leak ffs ?? :roll:

sideways danny
04-03-2012, 17:55
and it says that where exactly?

diditno
04-03-2012, 17:58
First post , second paragraph.

diditno
04-03-2012, 17:59
Or third even

schakal
04-03-2012, 18:06
Would it not be the standard williams chip you are using that is at fault? where did you get it from and could you not have got a different default williams chip installed by Kj?

can you explain this in detail ? ^^
did you find out the ecu that made it rev high, was fitted with an aftermarket chip inside ??

i got my STANDARD WILLIAMS chip from KJ as well but i am not sure if he tried it before he sent it out to me . I have since sent him a pm again asking this .

fabulicious
04-03-2012, 19:19

can you explain this in detail ? ^^
did you find out the ecu that made it rev high, was fitted with an aftermarket chip inside ??

i got my STANDARD WILLIAMS chip from KJ as well but i am not sure if he tried it before he sent it out to me . I have since sent him a pm again asking this .

Ok, at one point I had my original ECU which was unopened,untampered with whichever way you wanna put it. It was working.

Then after a loom change and some dicking around with the alternator which cause a massive surge or spark the ecu started giving me trouble. High rev's as soon as you started the car and continued climbing.
Tried a new map sensor, 2 different ICV's and did the usual of checking for leaks.
Nothing. still the problem you are experiencing.

Found another ECU on PH, untampered with and original, plugged it in and hey presto everything back to normal.

schakal
04-03-2012, 19:50
ok nice one fabs :)

My case is much different by the sounds .

fabulicious
04-03-2012, 20:15
ai schaks but the symptoms as you described it are identical to what I had. duff ECU mate and in your case duff eprom/ecu is very likely also. why not ask Mat to send you an ecu to try? You will always get your money back on it if it does not work.

fabulicious
05-03-2012, 09:50
Without a big hole in the inlet or one of the breather pipes the only other logical thing to make the revs go up like that is the ICV.
Here is something you can try to determine is it is indeed the ECU is opening the ICV too much.

Remove the airbox and the pipe that goes from the airbox to the ICV also. Leave the ICV attached to the inlet.

You should now be able to see clearly inside the ICV and notice the valve open.
Turn on the ignition. Do not start the car!
With a small flat head screw driver stick it into the ICV and slowly close the valve till you see the valve almost closed. Use common sense if you cannot see it clearly.

Start the car. At this point all should be good.

Then, turn off the car completely and restart it. Chances are the ECU will again open the ICV to an incorrect value and the revs will climb and climb as before. If it does this then you know for sure it is the ECU at fault.

Let us know how you get on.

schakal
05-03-2012, 15:42
Mate , i got a standard untouched williams ecu running my renault 9 .
I wanted to have a 2nd one for my chamade which is now fitted with f7r ,dont like swapping ecus every so many days . So borrowing an ecu from a guy called mat will not help.

I will have a better look at it on wednesday when i am off though .
Still waiting to hear from KJ16V

fabulicious
05-03-2012, 18:25
:flag:

midge
06-03-2012, 17:24
Have you tried the ecu/kj chip in the other car?

schakal
06-03-2012, 22:40
Have you tried the ecu/kj chip in the other car?

yes mate it does the same in both cars . i got a summeh 180 chip
with a broken connector on it , i will try to fit it inside the carrier on one of the ecus to see if that makes it idle fine .

tutuur
06-03-2012, 23:14
If it does the same in both ecu's why are you debating on here?
Just waith for KJ to reply and solve the problem with him...

Classic example of how people get bad names :roll:

schakal
16-03-2012, 21:40
Ok guys still having this problem :?

Kj nicely sent me 2 more chips , i have tried them both in Midge`s
ecu and both times the result is the same . Its idleing at 2500 now and wanting to go higher .
I am yet to try these inside the 2nd ecu with a holder i have here .

On the other hand ,i took the genuine williams ecu i have inside the r9
and stuck it to the 19 ,It runs perfect from the start . No problems whatsoever .

Which makes me think the difference between a valver and a williams ecu perhaps is not just the eprom after all ??? But if thats the case how the hell are all these hybrid boys running valver ecus with gunner chips ?? :roll:

172lover
17-03-2012, 00:56
why don't you keep the working williams ecu(out of the R9) inside the R19 and try the other ecu's in the R9?

schakal
18-03-2012, 00:11
why don't you keep the working williams ecu(out of the R9) inside the R19 and try the other ecu's in the R9?

Already done this . This time R9 idles at 2500 rpm and goes up :roll:

schakal
27-03-2012, 13:55
finally the genuine williams ecu i bought from tpjaws
have done the job it looks . I am yet to test it with a good thrashing
but it idles around 1k where it should :D

Still so strange why it would not run on chipped ecus :roll:

fabulicious
27-03-2012, 15:04
hate to say it but a bleedin told you so!!!!!! :P :rofl1:

can I have my brake pads back now please?? :lol:

Wobba
27-03-2012, 16:49
I had this problem once. It was a fried board. Revs kept going up.