PDA

View Full Version : Re. Steering issues and question?

MG1980
15-02-2012, 01:19
Chaps,

When the steering is on full lock either way, there seems to be a very slight whine coming from the front. Any suggestions? Power steering pump on its way or needs a flush through?

Also, heard of a couple of owners welding the bottom of the steerin column to make it more direct. Anybody else done it and would you advise? Apparently a simple job!!

Cheers!!

Daz4567
15-02-2012, 13:56
The whine is likely the pump. Generally if you do a long journey the noise goes as the fluid circulates and any air is removed. I have used stop leak before, it thickens up the PAS fluid and stops any noises. Works very well. I would change the fluid before trying that though.

You don't need to weld the steering column. I poured epoxy resin into the gap and it worked fine. You just need something hard enough to replace the original rubber that erodes away over time. Cost me 3 quid from Wilkos

The original non-welded columns with rubber in do remove some steering wheel vibration, so are a better option than a bodge on a road car.

MG1980
15-02-2012, 14:46
The whine is likely the pump. Generally if you do a long journey the noise goes as the fluid circulates and any air is removed. I have used stop leak before, it thickens up the PAS fluid and stops any noises. Works very well. I would change the fluid before trying that though.

You don't need to weld the steering column. I poured epoxy resin into the gap and it worked fine. You just need something hard enough to replace the original rubber that erodes away over time. Cost me 3 quid from Wilkos

The original non-welded columns with rubber in do remove some steering wheel vibration, so are a better option than a bodge on a road car.

Thanks buddy! Top tips!!!