PDA

View Full Version : Marangoni Zeta Linea Tyres

Slithers
26-02-2005, 15:15
Can anyone vouch for these tyres?, heard some good words bout them but dont actually know much about them.

http://www.marangoni.it/content.asp?L=3&idMen=146

KingStromba
26-02-2005, 16:29
Directional tyre :?

MatBrown
26-02-2005, 16:45
Looks nice!

Mat.

Slithers
26-02-2005, 16:46
Directional tyre :?

Still dont quite understand why directional tyres are frowned upon?.

I could understand it if you did a lot of reversing, but otherwise i dont get it. All tyres used in WRC and F1 (bar slicks of course) are directional.

So could somebody please explain the fundemantal difference between the 2 as im quite confused by it all.

Slithers
26-02-2005, 17:28
Right looked on many tyre manufacturers websites and tyre reviwers sites, and the general jist is that directional tyres are slightly better for performance, but cannot be installed the wrong way round.

This is why manufacturers recommend that you spare tyre is aysmmetric.

Not me saying this its the manufacturers so if anyone disgagrees, shout at them lol

KingStromba
26-02-2005, 18:10
F1 tires are not directional. They are grooves slicks. But that's irrelevant.

The idea behind directional tyres is this:

Making a tyre able to rotate in two directions (a non directional tyre) is a compromise, and thus a tyre designed to rotate in just one direction (a directional tyres) should more optimal parameters for overall tyre performance.

There are a number of points worth considering about tyre selection (arguably the most important performance and safety feature on your car).

1. No tyre is optimally suitable for all conditions. tyre should be selected that reflect the conditions that you drive in. In this country we drive on bumpy, greasy, often wet and twisty roads. Your tyre choice should reflect these conditions, NOT THE CONDITIONS OF A BILLIARD TABLE RACE TRACK.

2. What is suitable for a £100,000 rear wheel drive sports car is not necessarily suitable for a small light front wheel drive hot hatch.

3. 'Normal' tyres are considered to be non-directional and symetrical. There are two types of tyre considered to provide 'better, sportier' performance. Asymetrical tyres and directional tyres.

An asymmetric tyre has a tread pattern divided laterally into distinct elements, each designed to confer a particular aspect of performance. Typically, these elements range from a dense outer section to promote lateral stability and fast steering response during cornering, through to a more open inner section with blocks and drainage channels providing higher levels of wet grip, and thus, a reduced risk of aquaplaning. Pirelli asymmetric tyres have "INNER" or "OUTER" moulded into the appropriate sidewall. If fitted incorrectly, the advantages offered by the asymmetric pattern will not be realised. Tyres not fitted in accordance with the indications on the sidewall are a reason for MOT failure.

A directional tyre is designed to provide enhanced performance in areas such as wet grip, hence the compromises in tread design necessary to enable the tyre to operate equally well in either direction of rotation have been eliminated. The improved performance is only achieved when the direction of rotation, clearly marked on the sidewall, is observed.
A wheel to which a directional tyre is fitted cannot be re-positioned on the opposite side of the vehicle without reversing the tyre's direction of rotation. Where a user has purchased a directional spare, there is an even chance that, following a puncture, the tyre will be required to operate in the direction opposed to the arrow. In this event, the tyre should be treated as a temporary spare and the vehicle driven accordingly until such time that the damaged tyre can be repaired or replaced. lternatively, the tyre can be turned on the rim. Tyres not fitted in ccordance with the indications on the sidewall are a reason for MOT failure.

There is no consensus as to whether directional tyres are better that asymetrical tyres. Directional tyres 'tend' to be designed to work a particular area of performance optimally (ie wet weather grip), whereas asymetrical non-direction tyres tend to compromise to provide equal wet and dry grip and overall performance.

Bearing in mind the ball ache of not being able to swap tyres across the cars axis, and the better all round performance afforded to non-directional asymetrical tyres reflecting better the UK's road conditions, i cant see the advantage of buying directional tyres unless yuo drive regularly on a smooth dry race track.

Other important points are:

1. The Williams was set-up on a non-directional tyres.

2. Michelin tried a directional tyre in the PE1, but quickly replaced it with the PE2 (a non-directional tyre).

Its up to you at the end of the day, its all personal preference. I just beleive the Williams is a better car if you fit tyres that are as similar to the original tyre as possible. In this case a non-directional asymetrical tyre.

NickFr
26-02-2005, 19:24
WOW :shock: seriously, I am not as informed as KS ( good points made mate) but stick to what has been tried and tested on the road, it is after all, all that is between you and the road. Got to confess they look the part but do you want to be the Guinea Pig??

Slithers
27-02-2005, 12:02
Some very good points there stromba, but like you say its all down to what your own opinion of tyres is.

Ill consider me options when me change of tyres comes around.

I only asked cos its a ball ache on the wallet when your tyre size is 16", and these were about 15 squid cheaper per tyre than the PE2's and eagle f1's

KingStromba
27-02-2005, 18:57
Its only my opinion, but as your life may well once depend on your tyre choice, you should buy the ideal tyres for your car, irrespective of price.

Price may be important when you buy a tv or a microwave, but tyres, brakes, suspension and steering components should not be skimped on, IMO. Buy the best.

big hp
27-02-2005, 19:09
You buy the best tyre you can afford. IMHO

Go to mytyres.co.uk miles cheaper then anywhere else.