PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat change

andyleep
10-02-2012, 11:40
Anybody got a guide to replace a stat on a Williams?!

fabulicious
10-02-2012, 13:47
Anybody got a guide to replace a stat on a Williams?!

Probably be a good guide to do.
The housing can be tricky in terms of tightening torques and whether to use sealant for the stat or not. Also I'd imagine you would need a new gasket once you remove the stat housing. I've only ever done it once.

andyleep
10-02-2012, 13:56
I thought the stat housing didnt have a gasket? Or do you mean the seal for the thermostat itself?

fabulicious
10-02-2012, 14:16
It's been a while since I done it Andy..but i'm sure there was a gasket there.
Either way dont think there is any harm using a tiny bit of sealant as I read they are prone to leak and if your doing the housing up by hand rather than torque you wont have to tighten too much.
Same for the stat itself. prevents coolant leak when it is closed.

Hopefully Danny or some of the others will throw some light on it for you.

jamiecrookston83
10-02-2012, 15:43
Yeah there is a gasket seal on them. Worth putting in a low temp one on

MAXIBOY
10-02-2012, 17:14
its a simple job if the 7mm torx screws come undone..

remove hoses and iirc a few wiring plugs undo bolts replace thermostat in its rubber seal

clean surfaces small amount of instant gasket bolt up reconnect hoses wiring fill up water and bleed though after running engine up to temp

bolts can be a nightmare and if unsure might be worth pricing up new ones from renault of allen headed replacements before you start

andyleep
10-02-2012, 17:41
Ive had my Williams less than a year and Im guessing its got a low temp stat in it. Its barely getting above the first line on the temp gauge so the heater isnt that toastie! I want it warmer in the car and then can change back to a low temp one for summer. Will check and change this weekend

MAXIBOY
10-02-2012, 17:43
i dont think there needed unless you either track your car or have a lots of extra mods..

if the heating system is working correctly they arent needed on most road cars

tutuur
11-02-2012, 08:07
Just stick some Cartboard in front of the radiator for the winter....