PDA

View Full Version : Rear dampers rebound query

fabulicious
08-02-2012, 13:16
oki doki then. my "bonnes routes" from evogone have arrived. :) They have red writing on them. the original that came off the car had yellow writing if i'm not mistaken back 4 years ago or so.

On the car at the moment are the sia-am supplied by reno as OE parts today.

thing is when I press down on the original decarbon bonnes routes the rebound is quite good in a way that it doesnt hold in the fully pressed position for long.
the new OE ones well they have a very lazy rebound rate. take twice if not 3 times as long to come back up. they almost stay in the pressed in position.

Now I gather resistance has something to do with a shock performing well but anyone familiar with damping setup care to shed some light on why the decarbon bounce's back quicker and why should it be better?

Oh and remember this task is all about trying to eliminate some of that front end lift I was moaning about.

fabulicious
08-02-2012, 16:38
Well got them fitted and have to say a mighty improvement noticed already.The rear end is not bobbling up and down and they ain't too harsh either. Looks as if they may have brought the rear end down a couple of mm's also which I aint complaining about either.8)
Will need to wait for another day to see if they have improved the front end lifting too much but I'm still weighing up the options of getting stiffer springs anyhow.
Thanks Chip for the advice and evogone for the dampers.

schakal
08-02-2012, 17:06
I am having similar problems on the 9 as well. Got standard shocks at the back and konis from a 19 16v at the front .
Regardless of dry / wet i get loads of wheel spin to a point i have to
ease the gas and give it back slowly :?

Tyres are 195/50/15s

jock
08-02-2012, 17:39
Bonjour monsieur le Fab avec la voiture français 'clio Zebedee' ;-)
glad you got them on, hope they have desired effect! The rebound will feel much slower/stiffer when you try to push them manually than when they are fighting the actual weight of the car. It is weight transfer you are trying to limit. In 1st or 2nd gear the increase in torque is more dramatic when you floor it and it winds the front up and tries to transfer some weight to the rear. You may need stiffer rebound on the front to stop it lifting but you need stiffer damping at the rear to slow the squatting down. Watch you dont end up going too stiff as it upsets the cornering and braking grip as most roads are not billiard table smooth and you need some suspension movement to keep as many tyres in as much contact with the road for as much time as possible. :-)

fabulicious
08-02-2012, 17:50
Awesome Jock. You hit the nail on the head with that one :)
Thats why when the car was abroad were the roads were very smooth I hardly noticed the damping problem on the rear.
But Donnington and the tyres really showed them up.

I'll keep studying on what to do with the front end.

jock
08-02-2012, 20:50
Shaks, glad to see you learning whats involved in throttle control ! ;-)
try only using full blast when the wheels are dead straight ahead, smaller diameter tyre will spin easier even though there slightly wider, are you running lots of camber? As you'll only use the inside of the tyre. How much lighter is a 9 compared to a 19 ? Is the toe setting right for a 16v engine setup. You will prob always get wheelspin in the wet even if you softened it all off to wet settings with this much grunt. Ltd slip diff ? Hee hee, prob lots of other things too. More patience? ;-)