PDA

View Full Version : Weird starting problem

schakal
03-02-2012, 11:50
Started on the first morning of the artic cold we are having right now .
It was turning over really slow like the battery was flat , luckily i was parked on a hill and managed to start it rolling down .

Its been same since and i have used the car to work and back last 4 days (15 miles each way ) i tend to park it on a hill or make sure i have a spare car (in work) nearby to jump start .
Here is whats weird ;

- Battery has an indicator on it which shows green meaning its healthy
yet it turns the car over very slowly .

- I have not got the battery light flickering ,also the belt seems nice and tight.

- While its running it seems to be charging at 14.10V which should be ok although i recall it should be near 14.70V

- When it does not start and i connect the jump leads on it ,she will fire pretty much straight away .

-I removed battery took it up inside the house and put it on charger , 5 mins later the battery is full yet i take it out in the morning and reconnect but has struggled to turn over the starter again.

Whats going on here then ? Faulty battery indicating full when not ?
Superbad earth somewhere stopping the battery from using its full power?
But then how is it able to start straight away when jumped from another car battery ?

Ideas peoples ?? :?:

Wobba
03-02-2012, 13:16
Try another battery maybe?

diditno
03-02-2012, 13:51
May just be a crappy earth, as it's fine when earthed to another cars battery, I'd check that.

andyleep
03-02-2012, 14:02
As diditno said, I would suspect

lkcio86
03-02-2012, 14:16
more than likely the earth strap that goes to the gearbox, they corrode like hell, i fit a new starter and battery with no improvement till i found the dodgey strap, give it a good wiggle and if it is on its way out it will emmit lots of corrosion powder :)

sideways danny
03-02-2012, 17:48
get a drop test done on the battery. Voltage may be fine, but if it can't supply the amps needed it'll struggle. Cold will kill off a battery easily

FATBOY
03-02-2012, 20:07
dont believe all you see on them indicators, i had one on my car and it was green, but failed to work???? but the battery had sulphated.

schakal
05-02-2012, 17:45
dont believe all you see on them indicators, i had one on my car and it was green, but failed to work???? but the battery had sulphated.

Bang on mate ! Turned out to be the battery thank god .
I was dreading it would be something more sinister .
Battery from my chamade fitted and she starts up like a dream :)

The indicator on the old battery funnily still shows green ,my mate
done an amp , temperatur and voltage test with no load and this is where
it appears to be so cold and have not enough amps to do much .