PDA

View Full Version : HELP URGENT!! Fuel pipe leak in engine bay

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 20:10
Evening all, my williams has just developed a massive fuel leak in the engine bay but i cant see the location of the pipe. Its on the right hand side of the engine bay and apears to be between the engine and the chassis rail between the brake fluid cylinder and the power steering pipes. the car is now undrivable as the petrol is jetting out before if gets to the engine.

Has anyone else has this problem? Or can you advise on what to do, looks like might be an engine out job to me :cry:

diditno
24-01-2012, 21:10
Replace the petrol lines. No need or the engine out. I've have a set in the garage I needed.

diditno
24-01-2012, 21:28
If needed even

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 21:42
How hard is it do do then and is it all one pipe that goes to the fuel regulator?

16v_paddy
24-01-2012, 21:44
It'll be 1 of the 2 fuel pipes that go on the fuel rail that's leaking, both pipes run from the fuel rail down the chassis leg & connect underneath the car so not too difficult to get at :wink:

diditno
24-01-2012, 21:51
they run down the outside of the cam cover down under brake cylinder and connect under the car. shoukdnt take long to do. just a bit fiddly.

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 21:54
Cheers guys massive help :) I will have a look in the morning save on garage fees i hope.....any ideas were i can get the hose from?

fabulicious
24-01-2012, 22:08
Question I have is how did it happen in the first place? No point replacing them if you do not find out what caused it. Is the engine in place correctly?

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 22:14
I re did my exhaust earlier took it out for a spin then came back home another way with loads of speed bumps. I doubt the exhaust would have done it as i was working from the cat back. Looking at the engine to be fair it does look way to close to the chassis rail like it is touching the or very close to touching it. Ive suspected a worn engine mount for a while on this car but have never got round to having a decent look at it. Will be looking a lot closer tomorrow..

diditno
24-01-2012, 22:35
[quote="will.i.am.s2"]Cheers guys massive help :) I will have a look in the morning save on garage fees i hope.....any ideas were i can get the hose from?[/quote

ive got a set if you need them. just let me know

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 22:37
Cheers mate il contact you if i get stuck thanks alot 8)

MatBrown
24-01-2012, 22:41
I have some too.

will.i.am.s2
24-01-2012, 23:12
cheers mat, wont have any trouble finding some then :) think fabulicous is right though when he says find the source of the problem first, gota be an engine mount looking at how far my engine has moved

diditno
24-01-2012, 23:29
Could be. I've got one of those as well if you need a replacement.

16v_paddy
25-01-2012, 02:37
It's possible that the fuel hose has come out of the recess in the cam belt cover (if it has 1, seen some with & some without) & got caught with the aux belt or 1 of the pulleys and worn away a bit of it over time

fabulicious
25-01-2012, 11:17
Yep was gonna suggest what paddy said. But if you have no history on mounts being done then it's worthwhile getting a fresh set. They wear so quickly I'd be doing them every 30K miles almost. And the battery one..well that can snap like a biscuit.
Thats why the 4th mount is very handy to have in place also.

Lunner
25-01-2012, 14:25
I've known a few of them that have just deteriorated over time, usually noticed to start with as a smell of fuel when sat stationary with the heater blowers on

fabulicious
25-01-2012, 15:20
Are they expensive to replace with new?
And the black plastic casing that they go into anyone got a part number for that?
cheers!

16v_paddy
25-01-2012, 22:41
Well I've had a quick look on dialogys & about shit myself at the cost of the fuel pipes £107 for 1 & the other is £99 :shock: and that's on an old version so will probably be even more expensive now :roll:

As for the plastic bit they clip into, it's the middle cam belt cover. The part number for the 1 with the recess for them to go in is 77 00 854 944 and according to my copy of dialogys it's £15.22

172lover
25-01-2012, 22:48
Well I've had a quick look on dialogys & about s**t myself at the cost of the fuel pipes £107 for 1 & the other is £99 :shock: and that's on an old version so will probably be even more expensive now :roll:

is that for one section of the fuel pipe paddy or from the petrol pump to the engine?

will.i.am.s2
25-01-2012, 22:54
Well the update is i had the car picked up and took to a decent garage earlier, the verdict is a snapped gearbox mount which has caused the pipe to split due to the engine touching the chassis rail :x

16v_paddy The price you have there for the pipe is around what i got quoted also and aparantly its an order from france job only which will take a week. ive told them to think of something else or repair it somehow as i cannot drive this terrible turd of a crysler neon automatic they have loaned me for much longer, its made me realise how good the willy is thats for sure :P

fabulicious
25-01-2012, 23:28
As for the plastic bit they clip into, it's the middle cam belt cover. The part number for the 1 with the recess for them to go in is 77 00 854 944 and according to my copy of dialogys it's £15.22

This one here Lee?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/fuel-line-guide.jpg

2 live
25-01-2012, 23:48
Well the update is i had the car picked up and took to a decent garage earlier, the verdict is a snapped gearbox mount which has caused the pipe to split due to the engine touching the chassis rail :x

16v_paddy The price you have there for the pipe is around what i got quoted also and aparantly its an order from france job only which will take a week. ive told them to think of something else or repair it somehow as i cannot drive this terrible turd of a crysler neon automatic they have loaned me for much longer, its made me realise how good the willy is thats for sure :P

any petrol pipe will do mate. cant remember the dia off the top of my head. i have re-routed the pipes on the track car, supply going one side, return going the other. simple enough to do and does away with the godawful design of the plastic guide in the pic above. keeps the fuel lines well away from anything that could cause them damage.

theweekendhaslanded
26-01-2012, 00:19
I was gonna say re-routing would stop it happening again. Thats what I will be doing with mine 8)

16v_paddy
26-01-2012, 02:00

This one here Lee?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/fuel-line-guide.jpg

That's the one

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/cambeltcover.jpg

will.i.am.s2
26-01-2012, 19:52

any petrol pipe will do mate. cant remember the dia off the top of my head. i have re-routed the pipes on the track car, supply going one side, return going the other. simple enough to do and does away with the godawful design of the plastic guide in the pic above. keeps the fuel lines well away from anything that could cause them damage.

Cheers mate, that was my thinking with nay pipe will do. its a piece of rubber at the end of the day..If my car isnt fixed by saturday it will be coming home and il fix it myself.
garages dont half take the mic sometimes theyve rang me 4 times moaning about how hard it is to get williams parts, dunno what they want me to do about it, trying to pull a fast one and rip me off probably :?

Wobba
27-01-2012, 16:43
It's a piss easy job, and you can use some cool braided fuel hose too :D

Just watch out for petrol in the eye. It hurts.

diditno
28-01-2012, 00:05
As I said before I have both in perfect condition currently racked up in the garage. Yours if needed