PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel lightening

clowo16v
15-08-2005, 12:21
Can you take any material off the standard Valver flywheel, as with them been so cammy, if you can get it to rev a bit faster its got to be good.

See ya

Matt

Jan
15-08-2005, 12:52
Not sure about the 16v, but the williams one seems very light as standard as the revs drop very quickly when out of gear!

u33db
16-08-2005, 16:45
Yes you can take afair amount off them...i was going to have it down on my old 16v...IIRC GDI will do it for about 90, s/h flywheel will be about 50quid...

Lunner
18-08-2005, 17:43
Does this need to be done on teh car, or can i take them a s/h flywheel and get tehm to lighten it, and then fit it mysdelf, or does it need to be balenced on teh engine

Slithers
18-08-2005, 17:51
Id get a very reptauble engineer to lighten a flywheel as if done incorrectly its possible that the flywheel can spin off INTO the cabin, now think of a large serrated edge metal disc coming spinning into the cabin vertically at around 7,000 rpm, not pretty especially in transverse mounted engines, as when it does happen i think they usually end up around stomach height in the drivers seat.

J o n
18-08-2005, 18:07
iirc it would go through the front on a clio... either way, it's not good... if it does come through the cabin you only have to worry if your the passenger tho :D

tbh unless you lighten and balance the rest of the engine there's not much point imo

Slithers
18-08-2005, 18:16
iirc it would go through the front on a clio... either way, it's not good... if it does come through the cabin you only have to worry if your the passenger tho :D

tbh unless you lighten and balance the rest of the engine there's not much point imo

Nope im afraid i did a bit more digging on this after we had this discussion at yours and when they do decide to leave the area they almost always go in the direction of the cabin, no matter what car.

But your right it prob would hit the co driver thinking bout it.

And its pretty pointless too IMO.

Lunner
18-08-2005, 19:45
Remember when Roamers decided to let go, didn't miss him by much, this was at POD iirc

MatBrown
18-08-2005, 20:32
Yes you can take afair amount off them...i was going to have it down on my old 16v...IIRC GDI will do it for about 90, s/h flywheel will be about 50quid...

£50!

You must be shopping at Infinicar?

I can do one for £25.

Mat.

u33db
18-08-2005, 20:41

£50!

You must be shopping at Infinicar?

I can do one for £25.

Mat.

Really?!

I actually paid 40 for mine off MAXIBOY on CS...that was delivered too which i thought was pretty good considering the weight...

Lunner
18-08-2005, 22:06
So its pointless having the flywheel lightened?

u33db
18-08-2005, 22:09
No, then engine will rev more freely...IMO if you've got access, you may as well do it...it all helps

Lunner
18-08-2005, 22:11
Welol when i rebuild the engine i will have access, just deciding if its worth the £90 price tag, and if my engine will come with the flywheel

Slithers
18-08-2005, 23:26
So its pointless having the flywheel lightened?

Well on a flat piece of road there meant to be quite good, as soon as you reach an incline you'll notice the drawbacks apparently.

2 live
19-08-2005, 09:24
like jesus said tho

a few reputable engineering co.s ive spoken to wont even bother unless the flywheel has the clutch, crank, rods and pistons attatched to it..then they lighten/balance evrything

u33db
19-08-2005, 10:16
I don't see why you'd need to balance the rest of the engine at the same time..at the end of the day, a lightened a balanced flywheel is just better than std - it'll have no knock-on effects (like putting more stess) on any other components. IMO any company that won't do it wothout the rest of the engine is just trying to blag more money without good reason.

2 live
19-08-2005, 10:53
or doing the job properly .......and completely

the gains to be had from the flywheel are quite minimal...but coupled to balancing matching and lightening the rest it will give good gains

u33db
19-08-2005, 11:54
I don't doubt doing the whole lot will give better gains but wheat i'm saying is that there no reason why you can't just do the flywheel only...you'll still notice an improvement as they're damn heavy as standard and theres a lot that could be taken off.

As for doing the rest of the engine, are the gains really worth the cost? As you said, there ain't much you can do to the crank so that leaves pistons/rods etc...mega bucks. However, flywheel is a relatively small amount for a noticeable improvment and easy to get too.

matty
19-08-2005, 11:59
Always found this site good for answers:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/flywheel.htm

u33db
19-08-2005, 12:54
Always found this site good for answers:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/flywheel.htm

No ecotek recommendations on there m8! :?

stan
21-08-2005, 14:26
lightening the flywheel is ok...and obviously it has to be balanced

there are a lot of confusions over the dynamics of an in-line 4 cyl engine....most of all about balancing

yes lightened components are beneficial, but u have to do everything...eg. if u fit lighter, forged pistons, the crank will need lightened to match the new reciprocating mass....conversly, there is no point in lighteniing the crankshaft without touching the pistons/rods...it will be worse

2 live
21-08-2005, 15:40
I don't doubt doing the whole lot will give better gains but wheat i'm saying is that there no reason why you can't just do the flywheel only...you'll still notice an improvement as they're damn heavy as standard and theres a lot that could be taken off.

As for doing the rest of the engine, are the gains really worth the cost? As you said, there ain't much you can do to the crank so that leaves pistons/rods etc...mega bucks. However, flywheel is a relatively small amount for a noticeable improvment and easy to get too.

get a few quotes for full engine balancing mate...i think ul be quite surprised...

the lightening side of things, not a great deal can be taken off the willy flywheel apparently, next to fuk all on the crank, and rods and pistons are like u say, a fortune to uprate. but if u uprate them, theyl probs b heavier...

which will come round to balancing again..... lol

gtbloke
22-08-2005, 04:08
i wudnt bother, the f7p spins up quickly anyway....well mine does?

Lunner
22-08-2005, 17:50
Yeah but getting it spinning quicker is even better :lol: