PDA

View Full Version : Leccie Cars

fabulicious
06-01-2012, 19:00
So not sure if this is off topic or not but anyways thought I would share this frightening experience :lol:

Went over to the local Renault dealership today to collect my oe back box (again) and decided to venture into the sales room to have a snoop around the "mint" cars.
Sales chap ask's "have you anything in mind" and I say electric :shock:
Oh he says I've been running a Kango for the past few months and find it interesting.
So I ask him when will the new electric renault which is currently on the tv adverts be coming out and he says next year. He does have a fluence on the forecourt and if I would be interested in going for a test drive. Sure I said lets go.

On the outside it looks like a normal car and the doors open like car doors generally do and fitting a seat belt is the same. But that's where the similarities stop. So in goes the ignition key and I'm waiting..and waiting to hear some sort of rumble,engine note cough anything.Nothing. Not even a blip. So I turn to him and say " when are you going to start it"? He replies..it already is.
Fook me that moment I don't think I will ever get over.

I'm not going to say anymore really about the driving as you's will see for yourselves but all I can say is that petrol heads the world over are gonna cry and hearts will break if this electric business really does take off.
I know to you and I it hurts to experience this but I predict the kids of the future who grow up with leccie cars saying when they hear a combustion engine "whats wrong with that car?"

To end on a positive note..They don't have an exhaust.

chip
07-01-2012, 02:28
I really hope they do take off, will mean that the government needs to look somewhere other than petrol to raise revenue so hopefully they can stop raping those of us with petrol cars as a toy to occasionally use on weekends while we all commute around in boring electric cars.
Not to mention it should bring oil prices down as demand will be so much lower, so the underyling petrol price may drop as a result too.

I think electric cars as a daily are going to be good for petrol cars owned by enthusiasts overall.

2 live
07-01-2012, 03:44
when they can get a decent range out these cars they will take off. but a couple of hundred miles before a full on 24hr+ recharge is not gunna cut it.

lets be honest here. the options of other fuelled cars, be it hydro, electro , mixture of the 2, which already exist and can be used perfectly well, will never see mainstream until the arabs have run out of oil.

its like the guy who developed the ceramic engine, ford bought the rights, this will never see mainstream usage as the profits to certain parties will cease to exist therefore the technology will never become mainstream. until the arabs run out of oil. electro/hydro is a con. i mean look at the prius ffs. its cheaper in the long run to run a petrol powered car. which suits the arabs down to the ground.

the technology to run vehicles on a multitude of fuels is there , and is perfectly viable, but the greed of aforementioned people wont allow this to become a daily viable occurence.

chip
07-01-2012, 11:29
Even a couple of hundred is way more than most can manage still.

fabulicious
07-01-2012, 12:07
I suppose with the infrastructure in place it may work for smaller countries such as Ireland, Denmark etc. The UK is a big area to cover so it would be a big ask to refit charging points but there are enough forecourts about to manage that. In an urban area such as say a small city like Dublin 30 miles and your out in the countryside.

Just to give you a break down on costs. £3 gives you a full charge and in the fluence which is fully electric (and charges itself whilst driving) you can achieve a range of 120+ miles.
There is the option of fast charging them in 10 minutes, swapping out your battery at a "Quick Drop" point or the standard charge time of 6 to 8 hours at home.
The batteries you don't actually purchase. You rent them. Cost about £55 per month to rent.

Then the sweetener is the government here give you a cash grant on the car and no vehicle registration tax is paid on them.

My take on this whole concept of owning an electric car is that we use mobile phones, laptops and so many other gadgets on a daily basis which require charging every 24/48 hours that owning an electric car is actually not going to take that long to get used to.

But god I will miss the smell of an engine and the sound of one also. At least if they make them powerful enough we still might get to smell burning rubber :twisted:

2 live
07-01-2012, 14:38
it makes me laugh at how these are seen as a 'green' option tbh. unless they can recharge themselves fully whilst getting used, some kind of dynamo or similar, they still need a power station to produce the electric lol.

i saw an electric car at snetterton, not sure what the hell it was tbh, but it was absolutely rapid....and oh so quiet. could only hear it cutting through the air lol

chip
07-01-2012, 18:13
it makes me laugh at how these are seen as a 'green' option tbh. unless they can recharge themselves fully whilst getting used, some kind of dynamo or similar

WTF? How would that work? lol

They already have regenetratrive breaking anyway on a lot of them, but if you had a dyno running while you were sat on the motorway for example it would just drain the battery massively quicker than not running it.

Solar panel to charge would be a nice option but sadly we dont really have the weather for it and the roof area isnt massive on a car either.

stevie_b
07-01-2012, 19:27
unless they can recharge themselves fully whilst getting used

Technically it is possible via induction. The costs of burying the loops to cover the road network would make it unworkable though. I suppose you could put one under the road near traffic lights so cars take on charge whilst they are waiting, but I don't think it would be enough to extend the range by much and who would pay to put them all in?

chip
07-01-2012, 20:58
unless they can recharge themselves fully whilst getting used

Technically it is possible via induction. The costs of burying the loops to cover the road network would make it unworkable though. I suppose you could put one under the road near traffic lights so cars take on charge whilst they are waiting, but I don't think it would be enough to extend the range by much and who would pay to put them all in?

He was on about a dyno or similar mate, to try and charge via induction would be a logistical nightmare, especially charging for it.

stevie_b
07-01-2012, 21:24
especially charging for it.

Yes, that's true

2 live
08-01-2012, 03:03
it makes me laugh at how these are seen as a 'green' option tbh. unless they can recharge themselves fully whilst getting used, some kind of dynamo or similar

They already have regenetratrive breaking anyway on a lot of them, but if you had a dyno running while you were sat on the motorway for example it would just drain the battery massively quicker than not running it.

Solar panel to charge would be a nice option but sadly we dont really have the weather for it and the roof area isnt massive on a car either.

maybe it could work the same way as the lights used to work on my bike when i was a kid??. whilst the vehicle is in motion a dynamo could be driven to recharge the batteries. this would be better than charging when braking imho as you will be moving more than your braking.im sure there could be a sensor to determine if the car was moving or not, when moving incorperate the dynamo to recharge, when static, disengage.simples really. :roll:

16v_paddy
08-01-2012, 08:54
i saw an electric car at snetterton, not sure what the hell it was tbh, but it was absolutely rapid....and oh so quiet. could only hear it cutting through the air lol

Probably 1 of those Tesla things, remember seeing 1 on Top Gear & it was pretty bloody quick

robi1000
08-01-2012, 11:23
Charging with dynamo is not practical due to losses and everything. You can charge the batteries on overrun or when braking by reversing polarity. But most gains can be found in the control unit which regulates the motor. Regulator is the difference between a great electric propulsion and an average one.

Also if you want a good performance you need good batteries (which are silly expensive), good aerodynamics, low weight...

My father used to own a company (about 20 years ago) that was the equivalent of Bugatti in automotive world. We won Monte Carlo rally several times and held world distance record with one charge. A lot of systems in modern hybrids have roots in our system that was eventually sold to a big automotive company. Sad thing is, until you really are in the electric car business, you can't even remotely imagine how powerful gas lobby really is and what means they are willing to use to get you to do what they want you to do.

2 live
08-01-2012, 14:00
and so it comes back to the arabs and the oil. until its gone, as iv said previously, advancement of other fuelled/propelled vehicles will be extremely limited. if not kept under wraps completely.

interesting robi. what was the company/name of the cars?

Tommo
08-01-2012, 14:55
Same thing has happened with cold fusion sadly

robi1000
08-01-2012, 17:44
Company name was ProPulse. Propulsion systems were installed in vehicles ranging from small golf carts to buses and ships. Just as a random bit of trivia there were also talks with a design studio about buying a platform (a concept at the time), which was later bought by Fiat and came out as Fiat Multipla (one of the ugliest cars I admit). I also think our car based on a Daihatsu body was european electric car of the year in 1993.

Oh and battery companies were owned by arabs already back then. ;)

chip
09-01-2012, 13:57

maybe it could work the same way as the lights used to work on my bike when i was a kid??. whilst the vehicle is in motion a dynamo could be driven to recharge the batteries. this would be better than charging when braking imho as you will be moving more than your braking.im sure there could be a sensor to determine if the car was moving or not, when moving incorperate the dynamo to recharge, when static, disengage.simples really. :roll:

LOL

What an idiot.

If you do that, then when you are going along the motorway the following will happen (figures approx) :

The dynamo will engage

It will convert X+25% of kinetic energy into X% of electrical enginey and place it into the battery.

Then the car to maintain its speed will need to take X+50% of energy from the battery and convert it into kinetic energy in order to still maintain the speed.

So you will have a bettery and a dynamo working against each other, each of them with less than 100% efficiency, so the more you try and charge the battery the more it will actually go flat.

LOL @ you thinking that you can get more energy out of a system of that type than you put in, if you ever manage that you'll make Mark Zuckerburg look like a pauper.

Did they not do physcis at all at your school?

fabulicious
09-01-2012, 16:13
All I can say is thank god there are some educated and people that can talk sense on this forum. Some seemingly "peers" on this forum really ought to ****off and get a life!

snowman
09-01-2012, 16:32
I predict the kids of the future who grow up with leccie cars saying when they hear a combustion engine "whats wrong with that car?"

Then unfortunately theyll lose out on an intoxicating sound,igive me the sound of a V8 anyday :D

16v_paddy
09-01-2012, 20:38
I nearly got run over by a Prius not so long ago :evil: couldn't hear the bloody thing coming round the corner, all I could hear was a slight high pitched whine, thought wtf is that, looked round & BAM!! Had a toyota badge imprinted on my left arse cheek :shock:

fabulicious
10-01-2012, 16:23
They are eerily quite even when driving. Couldn't even hear the tyres. And that fluence is a heavy bus. Weighs about 1400kg.

Still there will be a market for them. Old grannies and X Williams owners :lol:
V8's..hhmmm now that is tasty.

chip
10-01-2012, 16:40
Its the converted cars that always surprise people the most, I met a bloke who has a converted mk2 golf and it looked quite funny silently rolling uphill, really does make you double take!

2 live
10-01-2012, 22:22

LOL

What an idiot.

If you do that, then when you are going along the motorway the following will happen (figures approx) :

The dynamo will engage

It will convert X+25% of kinetic energy into X% of electrical enginey and place it into the battery.

Then the car to maintain its speed will need to take X+50% of energy from the battery and convert it into kinetic energy in order to still maintain the speed.

So you will have a bettery and a dynamo working against each other, each of them with less than 100% efficiency, so the more you try and charge the battery the more it will actually go flat.

LOL @ you thinking that you can get more energy out of a system of that type than you put in, if you ever manage that you'll make Mark Zuckerburg look like a pauper.

Did they not do physcis at all at your school?

lol. where oh where did i say that it would work ?? if you look at my post, youl see i said IF they could do this. your inept rant is pathetic. btw, did you have english lessons at your school? your spelling is attrocious. my kids seem to have a better grasp of the english language.

2 live
10-01-2012, 22:32
All I can say is thank god there are some educated and people that can talk sense on this forum. Some seemingly "peers" on this forum really ought to ****off and get a life!

i agree completely