PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay mysterious Knocking sound

Vandella
04-01-2012, 20:03
hey guys, cars developed a knocking noise.. it sounds like it coming from within the inlet manifold..what is inside a standard one? it sounds like something has broken and is flying around the Inlet chamber/housing.
maybe a nut or piece of metal.. just wondered if the manifold has bits inside which can brake... or if anyone has experienced the same issue!
Thanks in advance!
Dan

robi1000
04-01-2012, 20:58
There are no parts inside the standard inlet manifold that could come loose. Also, there's nothing much that could break away, because it's a casting. If it breaks it's usually at the flange.

Dismantle everything and check, because if it gets sucked in, you can expect a big bill coming your way!

Wobba
06-01-2012, 17:45
I doubt there is anything in there. Check everywhere else first. If you get a good torch you can shine it inside the throttle body opening after taking it off. Easy enough.

Does rattle subside at higher temperatures?

lkcio86
06-01-2012, 18:24
hi there i seem to have a ridiculous rattle sound just develop in the engine bay when the engine is cold,(oil pressure fine etc think its something and nothing rather than something serious) but the engine is comin out in the next couple of weeks so i can give you a few pointers when i find the source of the noise

Vandella
06-01-2012, 19:12
h ok, thanks guys! can olny hear the noise when she's idleing. but it doesnt get worse if its hot..ill have it off this weekend i think, or as far as my talent takes me! & see if can see whats happening!! Also while im here! lol i remember seeing on here somewhere and gold help me ive looked about the gear leaver being to one side in nuetral and in the gears.. i have a bit of play in the gears but in all of them and nuetral is nearly all the way to the right.. i can feel where it should be n must be nearly an inch over...? any suggestions?

schakal
07-01-2012, 09:48
Are you sure its not the noise of injectors ticking ??

Vandella
07-01-2012, 13:16
no im not, wasnt aware that they would make a noise like this..or tick at all.. is that the injectors on there way out if thats the cause?

schakal
07-01-2012, 14:19
no im not, wasnt aware that they would make a noise like this..or tick at all.. is that the injectors on there way out if thats the cause?

Well ,yeah injectors do tick , its like ermmm... a ticking sound :D
Might be worth sticking some wynns injector and fuel system cleaner
in the tank .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uMjHFMl3KQ

arj256
07-01-2012, 20:05
Check your alternator belt tension, mine made a sound which sounded like the bottom end was gone when idling. But shut up when warmer.

lkcio86
08-01-2012, 17:27
think belt tension might be the answer, ive adjusted it right up and it has gone slack again, so would seem the logical soloution, like i say when i get a minute i am taking engine out anyway cheers

Vandella
09-01-2012, 17:26
hey chaps..little update..just been to a mates and put a screwdriver o the part and put my ear to it.. its loudest/more feelable when the screwdriver is on the alternator..cud the bearing inside break causing a noise similar? how much is a alternator? new/2nd hand? Ta muchly!

Wobba
13-01-2012, 10:29
hey chaps..little update..just been to a mates and put a screwdriver o the part and put my ear to it.. its loudest/more feelable when the screwdriver is on the alternator..cud the bearing inside break causing a noise similar? how much is a alternator? new/2nd hand? Ta muchly!

Could be, but as ARJ256 says, tensioning belt may sort it. I find my alternator makes more noise when there's more electrical demand put on it, lights on etc. Can you tighten it? Does it ever squeal?

Vandella
13-01-2012, 11:16
Hey wobba, Well I've just started to get a bit of a squeel but only at low speeds and kinda sounds like squeeky suspension but I know its not that. I'll c if I can get somthing in there.. what's the best way to get at it?

Vandella
31-01-2012, 14:24
hey guys, went to renault today to get them to have a look for this sound thats occuring. they've got their 'hitech' stethoscope on it and are inclined to think its the water pump..after this i mentioned about getting the cambelt and aux belt done at the same time.. thats normally the way forweard is it....?...to do the water pump with the belts? they quoted 350 just for the belt change.. that a good sighter for a price to do this? includes the parts too.. they want it back next week but duno if i can afford to pay their nasty rates... n i still have the widetrack to put on too.. they been sat under my bed for a couple months now!!! lol

Vandella
29-02-2012, 19:08
hey chaps! an update on this...wasnt the waterpump! turned out to be one of the wheels/pulleys on the alternator belt...does/should i replace the water pump aswell?
while im here..having the gearbox fixed as its mashed..the guy is guna do all the bearings and seals.. he quoted about £450.. that sound ok? how many bearings n seals r there?
ta muchly!!

Wobba
09-03-2012, 15:06
Depends which pulley it is. If it is the adjuster pulley it may be worth doing the pump as they have to take off the PS pulley bracket....which in turn give you access the the pumps top three bolts (the bits thats the biggest pain in arse with waterpump changes). If not, don't bother unless you really want too.

As for the gearbox, if that's including then removal and refitting AND rebuild....it's ok, but at the higher end of the scale I would want to pay! There are gearbox rebuild kits out there, they are not mega expensive but if he is sorting out any damaged cogs and synchro...just get it sorted lol, and make sure that includes any VAT.

Vandella
09-03-2012, 15:30
not too sure which pulley...he did show me tho..im having the water pump and pulley replaced aswell as the belts..
the gearbox ended up being 500 just for the overhaul had all new bearings and seals..all the cogs were fine, he showed me to prove what he'd done.. still duno what thats like..but have paid him now!! lol
its a seperate person to who's doing the belts and that.. the 500 was literally just for the box.. and it had a wee hole in that has been welded up.. just waiting on the garage to do the belts and water pump now!!! should be back by next weekend!!

then i just need a new rad!!! lol.. hopefully thats it for a while!!! lol
Cheers for all your help guys!!

will.i.am.s2
15-03-2012, 00:03
Has anyone ever had this at 3000rpm upwards? Iv got an annoying rattle which i posted about the other week.

Have noticed the fanbelt squeeking in the mornings and when idleing it drops the revs right off sometimes and the heater/lights etc go slower/dim until i give the revs a nudge. After reading this its Making me think maybe it could be a knackered alternator, but i will tighten the belt on the weekend anyway and see what happens nothing to lose :)