PDA

View Full Version : JC5 Gearbox and speedo

sk8xtrm
03-01-2012, 13:37
I missed my old valver so bought a new one last week, I have spent the last three days fixing nearly everything the car needed except one which is driving me mad. Now I have read and searched previous threads before posting and I think I am a little closer to resolving this however would like some advise as its confusing me. I have a JC5 box from an f7r megane fitted to the car however there is no code on the box as the plate is missing and there is a hole for the speedo as I know the later JC5 boxes do not. Now the problem I am having is its just a hole in the back so cannot figure what bit I am missing to connect up my speedo cable. We took the spline out of my friends valver box (beige part that connects to speedo) and tried to fit it into the hole on my box however the spline is to big to fit in the hole.

Does anyone know what part I need to buy to fit into this hole so my speedo cable can connect to it?

To get the car home I had to drive it 250miles and with no speedo I gauged my speed from other cars on the motorway :S

Thank you all in advance for your help :)

fabulicious
03-01-2012, 21:28
The speedo cable can just plug into the pin in the "hole" you mentioned without the need for the surround piece..unless your missing the pin also?
Got any pics?

sk8xtrm
03-01-2012, 21:34
cheers for the reply, i think its missing a pin which the square in the cable connects to. I tried using the connector out of my mates valver box and it wont fit in the hole.

fabulicious
03-01-2012, 23:22
If you can see if you can take a look inside the housing there should be one of these in there..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Old%20Fotos/speedocablehousing.gif

And underneath that (which is only visable with the gearbox open) there should be a crown like so

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Old%20Fotos/speedo-crown.gif

If the crown is missing..well you know what needs to be done.