PDA

View Full Version : williams clio vs focus rs

willy_kev
15-12-2011, 21:31
Sorry if this is a repost guys, but thought id try and spark a healthy debate on this guys findings... personally i have to disagree with some of his findings.. i havnt driven the rs but i have owned a wr1 impreza, so i can relate to the lack of characture from modern cars, and the williams has a tone of personality and id argue her case until the cows came home... but a williams beat a focus rs on soul and personality alone ... seems a weak argument that rs engine tone alone makes my hairs stand up! whats your thoughts? i also beg to differ that the rs on a country road would have an easy time shaking a willy off... just my thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COTBJKrpmRs

stevie_b
15-12-2011, 23:51
I have not driven an RS either, but I can guess what he means about it. I have faster cars than the Willy (in fact it is probably the slowest) but arguably none of the others are any more 'fun'. As time progresses, and speed limits reduce, the level at which the Williams entertains is even more relevant today.

I would guess he is probably correct about the country road speed too. As I said, I have not driven an RS, but assuming it has performance on a similar level to a Scooby then it will easily leave it behind, speed wise.

rochdale_williams
16-12-2011, 00:10
Driven a few RS's at work. Cracking car really . Pick up well in all gears, not worth the extra over the ST though. Granted they were customers cars so obviously you don't go mad. But even so the Williams feels so much the better car. Plus I think the RS is trying to hard with all the arches and spoilers. Rather have the mk1 RS. Blue with wider arches. Wonder why I like that?

Red Cloud
16-12-2011, 00:19
I have more fun on my push bike than i do in my williams. Go figure.

stevie_b
16-12-2011, 09:14
I do more miles on my push bike than in my Williams :lol:

Wasn't much fun had on the bike this morning though - cold and wet :(

TooSkive
16-12-2011, 09:35

Probably because you like wearing spandex and stuffing socks down your undies.

tutuur
16-12-2011, 11:59
very annoying to watch! could have make a better film with my Iphone :?

2 live
16-12-2011, 13:54

Probably because you like wearing spandex and stuffing socks down your undies.

i thought that was u tbh rob. must be some other banned member :roll:

as for the vid, its been discussed a while ago, the thing most peopl forget about is a 'drivers' car should be just that. the fun part is all about the driver involvement. all the electrickery in modern cars detracts from that.

TooSkive
16-12-2011, 14:41
All this waffle about modern car electronics hampering the pure driving experience you get from your rusting shed is mute, they can all be turned off. Electric PAS numbs steering feel slightly, but that's about it. You'll soon realise your Trophy is a better all round car, not that you will ever admit it of course :wink:

2 live
20-12-2011, 14:16
dont think theres a car made that you can deactivate the abs tho. ;). your argument is flawed.

when/if the trophy proves itself to be the better car, then i will say it. as yet it hasnt. so it isnt.

TooSkive
20-12-2011, 14:37
ABS is hardly an intrusive driver aid, it's useful and stops you going into tyre walls.

You are also comparing a standard car with faults on major components to a modified car, that's not just flawed, it's idiotic.

2 live
20-12-2011, 16:37
lol. as presumptuous as ever arent u? :roll:

TooSkive
20-12-2011, 17:00
Not really, you've already said it needs a damper refresh, tyres, brakes and a cambelt change :lol:

2 live
20-12-2011, 17:37
and you know these arent done?

chip
20-12-2011, 17:48
dont think theres a car made that you can deactivate the abs tho. ;). your argument is flawed.

when/if the trophy proves itself to be the better car, then i will say it. as yet it hasnt. so it isnt.

Modern ABS is completely unobtrusive anyway, but yes of course you can deactivate it on most cars, on our 172 for example, you just pull a fuse out.

2 live
20-12-2011, 18:33
and the fuse is cleverly disguised as a switch on the dash?? what will they think of next??

abs is NOT bypassed from the drivers seat. unobtrusive?? lol. iv had it cutting in loads recently in these conditions. then when you want it it locks the wheels up. unobtrusive??

Red Cloud
20-12-2011, 19:00
So who fell out with who then?