PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Kit

cliorod
09-12-2011, 15:05
If anyone is interested,I am negiotating the manufacturing of Big Brake kits ,as a "bolt on" goodie to any Performance Clio or maybe Renault 5gt.
Basically any Renault that uses a Williams/16v hub,bottom arm arangement.
Price will be totally dependant on what you want ,the complete kit ready to fit with brake pipes will consist of the following.

2 x Megane R26/Clio 197 4 piston Brembo Caliper.

choice of either a 304mm. x 28mm thick or 295mm x 28mm thick disc (these are cheaper).

Custom made from aircraft spec Aluminium,caliper brackets... the calipers used are radial mount.they will have stainless thread inserts to ensure,should they become damaged,they could be replaced.

Custom made Disc mounting bells

Standard pads and fitting kit

Aeroquip brake pipes

All nuts and bolts etc etc .

I have asked to ensure the kit goes under a 15" wheel .

As I said at the start prepared to sell as a complete kit,or individual items.

I am originally going for 5 kits .... for the bells and brackets.

I should have a price for these later next week

Watch this space.
Rod

schakal
09-12-2011, 15:28
deffo-interested.co.uk :P

robi1000
09-12-2011, 15:57
Is there a possibility that some of the parts would be made a little bit differently?

I already have Brembo calipers, but I need caliper brackets and rotor bells.

I would like to have 323mm discs and such caliper fitment that I will not need any spacer under 16'' Speedline 2012 wheel (disc and caliper will probably have to be moved a little bit more towards the inside).

cliorod
09-12-2011, 20:42
Robi.
It can be done,every thing is possible,but the guy doing the work,would need a disc...for the bell to mount correctly,with the required offset,then a wheel to ensure there is sufficient clearance
I just want to get the "normal"ones sorted out first.
Regards Rod

robi1000
10-12-2011, 01:15
Yeah, no problem. Could you at least post some pics when you get your kit done? I'd like to adopt something similar, but for my "Bigger brake" kit :D!

fabulicious
10-12-2011, 10:39
Roddy I'm interested. Let us know when you have a package together. So long as it's a bolt on and drive job then I'm happy. :wink:

Red Cloud
10-12-2011, 12:21
I wish someone would sell the mark ritchspeed wilwood kits again.

stevie_b
10-12-2011, 16:51
Roddy I'm interested. Let us know when you have a package together. So long as it's a bolt on and drive job then I'm happy. :wink:

You'll need uprated J-cloths with a big brake kit :lol:

fabulicious
10-12-2011, 16:55
You'll need uprated J-cloths with a big brake kit :lol:

aaggh you promised you wouldnt tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

fabulicious
10-12-2011, 17:36
Come to think of it now that Stevie mentioned j-cloths, I'm even more interested in the kit because the carbon lorraine pads I'm using are ruining my speedlines.
Method in the madness Stevie :)

cliorod
13-12-2011, 15:29
Update on the kit(s)
I took the caliper,upright,Bottom ball joint etc and a 16v 15" wheel,and left it with my mate ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,Now awaiting a price etc ,.... It will be mid January though :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
He is off to Bahrain for Xmas :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
One comment he made was the length of the caliper,and just how much clearance there would be.
If these will not give enough clearance,he can supply at the right money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Some AP racing calipers... used on the S1600 rally cars which will go under .
I will keep you all posted of developments.

cliorod
14-12-2011, 18:22
I've just got back from the guys who are going to make the brackets and Disc mounting bells.
Not a good day :cry: :cry: :cry: .As they suspected the R26 Brembo Caliper is to big overall and the biggest !!!!! disc they could fit using it would be a 275mm :oops: :oops: :oops: so using these calipers is a non-starter,unless people are using 17" rims.
So Plan B
I have asked for quotes using AP racing calipers (tarmac spec) with 295x28 mm discs,for 1 set and 5 sets.
In hindsight this may be the best option,as I could get any variety of hardness on pads and not to dear.
To have a Mintex hard grade pad made up for the R26 caliper would be quiet expensive also there is the fitting kit required for these calipers.
I am going to get a set made up either way for myself,for my little squirrel stores :wink: :lol: :lol: .
Calipers will retail around £500 plus vat a pair,mintex 1144 pads at £50 plus~~~~
Brembo R26 calipers retail at £320 plus vat fitting kit for a pair is £56.00 standard pads retail at £90 plus vat.
:o :o :o

robi1000
14-12-2011, 18:42
Caliper is to big overall and the biggest !!!!! disc they could fit using it would be a 275mm :oops: :oops: :oops: so using these calipers is a non-starter,unless people are using 17" rims.

Erm... 275mm disc fits under 15'' rims, you need 16'' from 280mm-320mm and then 17'' for 320mm+

Only problem is with caliper width IIRC.

cliorod
14-12-2011, 19:20
Robi,
I was told by these people,that due to the overall length of the caliper .. remember it goes under a 18" rim on the R26,consequently when the caliper is brought away from the hub,to ensure a disc will fit it would foul the inside of the wheel.

tutuur
14-12-2011, 21:46
it could be the caliper is to big indeed. 295 will fit under 15"depending on how the caliper is.
look up google and you'll find out!

robi1000
14-12-2011, 22:11
Robi,
I was told by these people,that due to the overall length of the caliper .. remember it goes under a 18" rim on the R26,consequently when the caliper is brought away from the hub,to ensure a disc will fit it would foul the inside of the wheel.

Ok, I understand now!

it could be the caliper is to big indeed. 295 will fit under 15"depending on how the caliper is.
look up google and you'll find out!

Yeah, you can fit discs bigger then 285mm (up to 295mm and even 300 with the right caliper and rim combo), but you have to use racing brake calipers.

tutuur
14-12-2011, 23:14
Indeed, but Clio Sport 280 discs+ calipers fit.
Only wont look as fancy as the brembo's but braking force is enough!

cliorod
15-12-2011, 00:37
Clio Sport 280 discs+ calipers
Tutur,
What calipers are those Brembo,because I understand the the latest "sporty" Clio ,not sure of the model,have the same R26 caliper.

tutuur
15-12-2011, 07:42
I mean the Clio 2 Sport brake setup, so no brembo's...

cliorod
15-12-2011, 12:54
Hi Tutur,
Thanks for that.
Just to put everyone in the picture,
If you shop around there are several Big Brake kits available ~~~ all of varying standards and at an affordable price.
But through my 30 plus years of Motorsport it has taught me buy the best and it will last you....the number of events in the early days we retired because I bought inferior products etc etc to save money.
I now buy the best I can afford.
Consequently that is why I am going down the AP racing route.The CP 6730 range of calipers are used by most Works & non Works teams on the S1600 & S2000 rally cars and are designed for very punishing use.I am contemplating changing my existing Alcon WRC caliper set on my rally car,for these with a 295 x28mm disc,and using 15" rims ~~~ competition tyres are more readily available in 15" sizes than my current 16"set up.
My supplier has said to be looking at around £1200 plus vat,for everything including aeroquip hoses the only thing then required would be a set of pads... dependant on grade/manufacture of lining,Pagid/Mintex etc.
I am not "touting" for business etc,but just trying to offer/help and pass on my "knowledge" ??? 8) ,To the newcomers etc etc
Please DO NOT take this as me being patroninising,to those that are of a similar ilk to me :roll: :roll: