PDA

View Full Version : Define the following words..

fabulicious
08-12-2011, 09:47
We've all heard the following words used to describe the condition of a car but I'd like to know what other's think about it. If you can please describe what each term means in your view. Add some more if you wish!

Concours
Mint
Rough

northy
08-12-2011, 11:31
The cars ive been to see that were described as mint have been sheds. Im sure matbrown will agree with that comment!

snowman
08-12-2011, 11:36
I hate the word MINT,everyone uses it to death,imo no cars mint unless its still in the showroom,no miles.

Concours is a french word,meaning something like a collection of prestigious cars,where everything is taken to beyond factory standards

Id call a car rough if its still ok to drive but had better days,patches of rust,kerbed wheels,faded paint etc

fabulicious
08-12-2011, 12:03
I hate the word MINT,everyone uses it to death,imo no cars mint unless its still in the showroom,no miles.
Totally agree with that one. WTf does mint mean anyways :?

Northy mentioned shed. Something that you would use to store something in or a car which has chickens living in it :lol:

Near Perfect and Showroom condition are possibly the same.

snowman
08-12-2011, 12:11
Wiki: Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint. Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality

fabulicious
08-12-2011, 13:13
ah it makes better sense now.
A car cannot be mint once it's been on the road just as when a coin goes into circulation.

But to be fair I'm guessing that "mint" may have a double meaning for some folk. A mint is also a sweet which freshens, so it's possible that people describe a car as mint if it is a fresh drive in other words it's got an excellent interior and drives as new?

Red Cloud
08-12-2011, 13:15
I have some mint gold and silver coins. Still in their 'mint' packaging.

FATBOY
08-12-2011, 20:44
best examples within the club have got to be talkingfish's-williams 1 (which he did restore at expense i believe) and i believe hes won best in show @ FCS???

and big hp's old williams 2. very very clean

:D

stevie_b
08-12-2011, 22:24
If you can please describe what each term means in your view. Add some more if you wish!

"One of the best examples you'll see"

... generally translates to "if you have not seen any others yet. If you have then you'll probably conclude that this one is well below par"

16v_paddy
08-12-2011, 23:26
best examples within the club have got to be talkingfish's-williams 1 (which he did restore at expense i believe) and i believe hes won best in show @ FCS???

His car has actually been entered into proper councours competitions let alone some shitty chav infested show & shine at a pokey little car show albeit a well deserved win at said pokey little car show 8) I was surprised that such a sensible decision was made at FCS tbh

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 11:59
are there any pictures of talking fishes williams 1? i would love to see that :)

The word that annoys me which is commonly used is IMMACULATE and you and have a look at it and its a shed! rusty arches curbed wheels etc etc we have been there!

Clearly alot of peoples idea of immaculate and my idea are two completely different things.

fabulicious
09-12-2011, 12:43
are there any pictures of talking fishes williams 1? i would love to see that :)

ask and you shall receive :)

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41043&sid=247ce14c817fbb33d6b503832cfcab64

He's always in and out on the forum so give him a nudge perhaps :wink:

Tommo
09-12-2011, 14:00
I have seen talkingfish's Williams in the flesh, it is very nice indeed! Carole Annes is also one of the best I have seen from this club.

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 18:17

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41043&sid=247ce14c817fbb33d6b503832cfcab64

OH MY GOD! thats incredible i take it this car is not for sale not at any price?

fabulicious
09-12-2011, 18:22
So now do you believe my welcome post's to you :lol:

I think I may have seen a post somewhere that he had an itch to sell it. But don't quote me on that.

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 19:07
So now do you believe my welcome post's to you :lol:

I think I may have seen a post somewhere that he had an itch to sell it. But don't quote me on that.

Yes mate i believe you :)

are there any pictures floating round of carole annes williams?

robi1000
09-12-2011, 20:05
This one is mine, but it's not for sale :lol:
http://www.shrani.si/f/2n/lC/ALYY8OW/avto.jpg

fabulicious
09-12-2011, 20:12
and mine..no sale either :wink:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Williams.jpg

FATBOY
09-12-2011, 20:29

OH MY GOD! thats incredible i take it this car is not for sale not at any price?

he was contemplating selling due to change of circumstances i believe??

talkingfish
09-12-2011, 21:07
Thanks for the comments guys - always appreciated! :D

The car is nicely snuggled away for the winter but as people say, I MAY be looking to part with it next year.....

16v_paddy
09-12-2011, 21:48
Carole Annes is also one of the best I have seen from this club.

Well it is if you like the 3 inch layer of dust look :lol: plus I wrote a little message on the rear window while she wasn't looking either :P

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 22:13
This one is mine, but it's not for sale :lol:
http://www.shrani.si/f/2n/lC/ALYY8OW/avto.jpg

WOW :D

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 22:13
and mine..no sale either :wink:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/Williams.jpg

stunning! :D

Padmeister2011
09-12-2011, 22:15
Thanks for the comments guys - always appreciated! :D

The car is nicely snuggled away for the winter but as people say, I MAY be looking to part with it next year.....

Your car is amazing and a credit to you! :D

What sort of money would you ask for your car? it must be so hard for you to put a value on it? as its pretty unique to be in that kind of condition :)

talkingfish
09-12-2011, 22:24
Who knows tbh - it is worth what someone is prepared to pay at the end of the day. The general consensus on here is that it is worth somewhere between £6-£7k..... I'll never recoup the time, money and effort that went into the restoration though.... If you search you'll find some threads I put up when I did the engine restore a couple of winters ago.

talkingfish
09-12-2011, 22:44
some more pics threads...

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43488

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38832

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37395

enjoy! :D

talkingfish
09-12-2011, 22:47
sorry - ignore the first linky - bit of a cock-up!!! Meant to put up this one.....

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41000

Padmeister2011
10-12-2011, 12:24
Who knows tbh - it is worth what someone is prepared to pay at the end of the day. The general consensus on here is that it is worth somewhere between £6-£7k..... I'll never recoup the time, money and effort that went into the restoration though.... If you search you'll find some threads I put up when I did the engine restore a couple of winters ago.

Thank you talking fish i will take a look at the links!

There is an old but true saying when it comes to cars

"A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"

But your Williams is amazing i love it! :D

Padmeister2011
10-12-2011, 12:37
talking fish i am amazed :shock:

Amazing!

Its that perfect i wouldnt want to use it! when i buy a williams in the coming weeks i want the balance between a nice example and something i can use and enjoy! If i owned yours it would just live in the garage for me to look at :D But thats not what a Williams is about it should be used and enjoyed :)

I need the money for 2!

1 to stay in the garage and 1 to use and enjoy :D

robi1000
10-12-2011, 12:50
I need the money for 2!

Haha, we all come to the same conclusion... :lol:

Padmeister2011
10-12-2011, 13:36
I need the money for 2!

Haha, we all come to the same conclusion... :lol:

:D

Well i do have the dilema of i can't make my mind up if to buy a Williams 1 or a 3?

So maybe i should just buy one of each :D

robi1000
10-12-2011, 14:27
That, or buy one really good road car that you can admire and drive on weekends and then another valver/hybrid/williams turned into a proper track car which you can abuse as much as you want and you don't feel sorry for paintwork or resale value! :lol:

Padmeister2011
10-12-2011, 14:55
That, or buy one really good road car that you can admire and drive on weekends and then another valver/hybrid/williams turned into a proper track car which you can abuse as much as you want and you don't feel sorry for paintwork or resale value! :lol:

Spot on Sir! :)

fabulicious
10-12-2011, 15:13
The 3 you pointed out for sale from a dealer on PH. Whats wrong with buying that? It's within your budget and I highly doubt anyone around here will offer you a warranty with a sale.
With the phase 3's you gotta watch out for rust. One of the things we spot between models. The 3's just seem to rust worse than the others.

You mentioned in another post that you used to own a williams years ago. how many years exactly?
They are almost 17 years old so don't have high expectation's when viewing.

I said it before and I'll say it again..the lads on this forum have sweated their ass's off to make the williams they own look so good. So unless your prepared to go the whole hog I'd go buy a generation 2 or 3 Clio
and save yourself the hassle and expense.

Padmeister2011
10-12-2011, 23:53
The 3 you pointed out for sale from a dealer on PH. Whats wrong with buying that? It's within your budget and I highly doubt anyone around here will offer you a warranty with a sale.
With the phase 3's you gotta watch out for rust. One of the things we spot between models. The 3's just seem to rust worse than the others.

You mentioned in another post that you used to own a williams years ago. how many years exactly?
They are almost 17 years old so don't have high expectation's when viewing.

I said it before and I'll say it again..the lads on this forum have sweated their ass's off to make the williams they own look so good. So unless your prepared to go the whole hog I'd go buy a generation 2 or 3 Clio
and save yourself the hassle and expense.

Hi Fab,

I have no problem spending the right money on one as long as when i get there its as good as they say it is! I owned a williams 1 5 years ago at the time i bough the best i could for the money i had at the time but looking back it had quite a bit of rust but i still enjoyed the car!.

And now 5 years on and having a company vehicle i am just after a toy for the weekend, so i started thinking about a williams again! I like this forum and you all seem a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable bunch!

I have alot of admiration and respect for the lads on this forum who have put blood sweat and tears in to their williams and it has paid off with some stunning examples out there, I could buy if i wanted a williams at any price but i just want a useable honest car thats not a rot box and that i would be proud of but most importantly i can use and enjoy because even if i did buy the best out there it would just sit in the garage as i would think its just too perfect to use!

:)

16v_paddy
11-12-2011, 00:24
I have alot of admiration and respect for the lads on this forum who have put blood sweat and tears in to their williams and it has paid off with some stunning examples out there,

:ooomg: OI!! :nono:
Some of us around here have put blood sweat & tears into stunning valvers as well I'll have you know :P

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/1st%20respray/IMG_1965.jpg

Any excuse to do a bit of whoring :oops: :lol:

fabulicious
11-12-2011, 10:01
You slut Paddy. Screw your valver I've a horse outside :lol:

I have no problem spending the right money on one as long as when i get there its as good as they say it is!

Exactly..thats the reason behind this thread. Figuring out how to read between the lines :)

Padmeister2011
11-12-2011, 11:49
I have alot of admiration and respect for the lads on this forum who have put blood sweat and tears in to their williams and it has paid off with some stunning examples out there,

:ooomg: OI!! :nono:
Some of us around here have put blood sweat & tears into stunning valvers as well I'll have you know :P

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/1st%20respray/IMG_1965.jpg

Christ! thats stunning! Lovely Colour 8)

zmaster2k
11-12-2011, 12:18
Naples red (pink)

Beautiful colour tbh

16v_paddy
11-12-2011, 23:45
You slut Paddy. Screw your valver I've a horse outside :lol:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Back on topic, I use the word mint for describing paintwork, for example the pic of my car was when I had it fully resprayed so the paint was mint because it was fresh, it's no longer mint :cry: as that was 3 years ago plus I recently put it in a gravel trap at Oulton Park :oops:

Naples red (pink)

Beautiful colour tbh

:ooomg: print screen & saved for posterity :lol:

Admittedly it is a stunning colour when it's freshly painted

zmaster2k
12-12-2011, 07:50
I'm out and proud! LoL love a bit of pink ;/)