PDA

View Full Version : Trailer/Transporter Advice

fabulicious
05-12-2011, 19:11
Any recommendations on what would be a suitable trailer for a small hatch sized car?
Also, where would be the best place to search for a used one in the UK? Budget wise I'm thinking no more than £500.
Ta.

A&P
05-12-2011, 19:41
Brian James A series or clubman cant praise these trailers enough rock solid on the road but they will be more like £1000 second hand, Best trailers I have EVER used. Cheers ANDREW.

16v_paddy
05-12-2011, 19:57
Tbh the only trailers I've seen for sale have been £1,000 minimum

stevie_b
05-12-2011, 20:05
I have a Brian James TT with folding towpole so it can fit into a normal garage if required (was useful at my old house, but not so critical now). This means not only is it secure but you can shelter it from the elements easily and as a result although mine is a few years old now it still looks as new. It tows very nicely and everywhere I go with it people comment on Brian James being one of the ones to have (I've not towed anything else though so can't give a valid comparison).

I had the deck fully boarded which was probably the best option I had added. As there are no gaps between where the wheels sit you can use it for pretty much anything, creating a very versatile load space. When I moved house I shifted nearly everything with it, shed, greenhouse, the lot. I've bought a few big things on Ebay where it has come in useful too, a kart, piano, ride on mower, etc. that all went on no problem at all. I have definitely used it more times for moving non-car stuff than I have for moving cars, so I would recommend considering one of those if you see one come up for sale.

As for budget I was shocked how much some of them went for second-hand so decided I may as well buy new. I think you will struggle to find anything for £500 as a result, but you might get lucky and find something cheap down the road in the local paper or something. If you buy a trailer that can only just tow the Clio (1000kg) it would definitely be a fair bit cheaper than something that can manage larger saloon cars too.

fabulicious
05-12-2011, 21:27
Quick look on ebay and it seems their selling like iphones :shock:

stevie_b
05-12-2011, 23:37
In case it is of any help I have uploaded a couple of pics so you can see what I am talking about. With my sofa and a load of other bits for the house move on it:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/trailer1.jpg

And with a car on top so you can see the size compared to that:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/trailer2.jpg

I have towed a Scooby weighing around 1300kg on it without trouble, although you do notice the extra weight behind you even with something with a lot of torque, so you'll need to give some thought to the tow vehicle as well if you plan on often towing a heavyish load.

MatBrown
06-12-2011, 17:41
I have a Brian James TT with folding towpole so it can fit into a normal garage if required (was useful at my old house, but not so critical now). This means not only is it secure but you can shelter it from the elements easily and as a result although mine is a few years old now it still looks as new. It tows very nicely and everywhere I go with it people comment on Brian James being one of the ones to have (I've not towed anything else though so can't give a valid comparison).

I had the deck fully boarded which was probably the best option I had added. As there are no gaps between where the wheels sit you can use it for pretty much anything, creating a very versatile load space. When I moved house I shifted nearly everything with it, shed, greenhouse, the lot. I've bought a few big things on Ebay where it has come in useful too, a kart, piano, ride on mower, etc. that all went on no problem at all. I have definitely used it more times for moving non-car stuff than I have for moving cars, so I would recommend considering one of those if you see one come up for sale.

As for budget I was shocked how much some of them went for second-hand so decided I may as well buy new. I think you will struggle to find anything for £500 as a result, but you might get lucky and find something cheap down the road in the local paper or something. If you buy a trailer that can only just tow the Clio (1000kg) it would definitely be a fair bit cheaper than something that can manage larger saloon cars too.

Ditto, similar to mine.

Evogone
06-12-2011, 20:53
Just sold my clubman for 1400 quid but PRG trailers are better built.

northy
07-12-2011, 09:33
i have a ifor williams CT136HD - i bought it as it seamed the better made trailer when compaired with others with toy wheels.

Mine has independant leaf spring suspension on each wheel. Not the rubber systems most other trailers have.

I would budget 1k on a trailer though Fab. Unless you can find a early Brian James 'steel' trailer - you can pick them up for £500.