PDA

View Full Version : Naked Willy!

andyleep
04-12-2011, 16:54
Anyone got a stripped (but still road legal!) Williams? Just thinking of lightening mine by getting rid of a few things after ditching the hydraulic light adjusters setup and getting rid of one of the horns as they weren't working!

Please list things that can be taken out/off that won't affect the comfort/look/functionality of the car too much. I'm thinking SUBTLE here guys!.....

stevie_b
04-12-2011, 18:10
I've taken about 200kgs out of mine. I've done the two things you mentioned, but in my case it has gone way past the point where it affects comfort/looks/functionality on mine!

If you are looking at things that keep it looking identical you could replace the battery, which will save nearly 10kg on its own, although I suppose you could say that affects the functionality as it won't have the same CCA/Ah as a 'normal' one.

You could take the carpets up and remove all the sound proof tar underneath, and then put the carpets back, saving about 7kg iirc, but I would say that affects comfort as it will be noticeably noisier as a result.

You could fit a fibreglass bonnet and paint it the original colour which will save around 10kg and keep much the same look.

Big items where you can save weight are on the seats and wheels, but it won't look 'standard' then, so it depends how much you are prepared to compromise in terms of your goal. I would say you could remove 100kg of weight from it without having to go completely mad, but it would certainly look a bit altered, lose some functionality and lose some comfort, although you would gain a performance improvement in return!

will.i.am.s2
04-12-2011, 19:16
Im thinking along these lines also would want to keep it looking like a williams :)

Was thinking fibreglass/or similar boot lid,bonnet and rear quarter panels as ive seen them all at decent prices and poly windows for the boot lid and rear quarters. Would be interested to know the weight savings of them little things. Could also get kevlar/fibre glass doors but id be more likely to get some normal doors and strip everything out of them.

Only things ive done so far is remove the spare wheel, jack/wheel brace and the complete rear wiper assy including motor etc, small things but some weight in them thats for sure :)

stevie_b
04-12-2011, 21:01
Was thinking fibreglass/or similar boot lid,bonnet and rear quarter panels as ive seen them all at decent prices and poly windows for the boot lid and rear quarters. Would be interested to know the weight savings of them little things.

An FG bonnet can easily save >10kg compared to the original one, which weighs about 17kg. No idea on rear quarters as mine are standard but it would cost a lot to get done I would expect. I would think >5kg saving per side, maybe 10kg a side if you are lucky (I would guess that each one weighs less than the bonnet which is a decent-sized lump and double-skinned so quite weighty in comparison). Rear poly maybe a 2kg saving, and 1kg per side for the rear quarters in poly.

Coops
05-12-2011, 13:08
great big lump of metal holding the charcoal canister in drivers wheel arch, must be good coupla kg there

andyleep
05-12-2011, 13:15
Then just cable tie it? How about ditching the cannister completely?!

16v_paddy
05-12-2011, 16:56
Can lose around 15-20 kg by ditching the power steering

fabulicious
05-12-2011, 16:59
Reserve fuel tank maybe?Gotta be worth 5KG or more.

will.i.am.s2
05-12-2011, 21:10
hmm interesting, maybe the rear quarters would be a lot of trouble for the gains, would have the added bonus of never rusting thow :D

Im tempted to ditch the power steering as i hate all the noises and tbh its not the best PS ive experienced, manual racks are much more fun anyway. On that note would a manual rack of a base clio go on the williams? im guessing probably :D

Ive heard of people getting rid of the reserve tank but mine gets used often so would be a big mistake that one :P