PDA

View Full Version : What are these pipes for?

H4RRY
30-11-2011, 16:27
Hi All,

I've spotted a bit of a problem with my wiliiams 1 I'm restoring. A couple of pipes are catching on the fan belt on the left hand side of the engine. I need to detached them from the engine to do a bit of rerouting but I'm not definitely sure on what they are for and what will happen if i detach them. If someone could let me know what they are, that would be a great help.

I've attached a few pictures with the pipes circled. They are under the plastic cover that covers the edge of the intake manifold. I'm no expert, just a hobby mechanic, but I'm guessing fuel? They just seem quite big for fuel hoses, maybe coolant?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

northy
30-11-2011, 16:35
Fuel pipes to injector rail

H4RRY
30-11-2011, 17:03
Fuel pipes to injector rail

Thanks!

This could be a stupid question then, but am I right in thinking that if I detach them a little bit of fuel might come out but without the fuel pump on, it will be minimal?

northy
30-11-2011, 17:23
it is a presurised system so u will get some spray / leakage depeding upon what pressure is held

Why do you need to remove them ?

Coops
30-11-2011, 17:33
if they are catching on the belt, get the sorted quick, simple fix if the lines are okay is to silicone the carrier onto the cambelt cover from whence it came. its clipped with two lugs as standard, they break and you get the rubbing. so by undoing lines and shifting them out the carrier you can access it, pull it off, slap some silicone and and stick it back on:-)

dont let it continue to rub as if the lines go through best case scenario you grind to a hault, worse case..........well you can guess

H4RRY
30-11-2011, 18:39
Thanks northy.

if they are catching on the belt, get the sorted quick, simple fix if the lines are okay is to silicone the carrier onto the cambelt cover from whence it came. its clipped with two lugs as standard, they break and you get the rubbing. so by undoing lines and shifting them out the carrier you can access it, pull it off, slap some silicone and and stick it back on:-)

dont let it continue to rub as if the lines go through best case scenario you grind to a hault, worse case..........well you can guess

Ha Ha!!! Don't worry I'm not that stupid, can't believe that the person I bought it off was actually driving it around like that, good job i spotted it. Anyway I'll give that a go, thanks!

cliokiz
02-12-2011, 13:17
Even easier way to fix it..

Get some zip ties and wrap them around the fuel lines and the metal map sensor vacuum pipe above.

Tie them up nice and tight away from the pullies and you won't have any issues, nor will you need to disconnect them.

Sorted!

H4RRY
02-12-2011, 23:36
Even easier way to fix it..

Get some zip ties and wrap them around the fuel lines and the metal map sensor vacuum pipe above.

Tie them up nice and tight away from the pullies and you won't have any issues, nor will you need to disconnect them.

Sorted!

Thats an even better idea, and means there is no chance of me messing up with a silicon gun! lol

mk2wills
03-12-2011, 14:17
for the fuel lines id put something under the tie wrap just to make sure it wont rub through