PDA

View Full Version : Foil wrapping

robi1000
30-11-2011, 09:43
I'd like to protect my car with transparent foil wrap.

Does anyone know how many sqare meters (or feet) Clio Williams has?

Or if anyone is in car wrapping business, how much wrap I need to completely wrap my car (including roof).

Twincam
30-11-2011, 12:39
To wrap a full car your looking at around 15m of material

How are you wanting the vinyl to protect it? If your hoping it will stop stone chips, you will find it will only reduce the number of them.

It's possible to use a material called venture shield which is produced to protect against these but it isnt a wrapping vinyl and it's expensive

If its for uv protection make sure the material is uv compliant. If its just a printable transparent it will need over laminating. As the laminate is what gives the uv protection

Anymore questions just ask

Rich

robi1000
30-11-2011, 17:13
The car was resprayed recently and is in perfect condition right now. I want to take it out on the track every once a while and I don't want too many stonechips. I know it doesn't make the car bullet proof, but I guess it helps.

What surprises me is the price of transparent vinyl! It's almost 2x more expensive then coloured vinyl.

I don't need UV protection, because car is stored in a garage most of the time.

Around here Hexis is very popular, but I can get 3M products at a very good price, because we are distributers for their other products...

Any experiance with 3M transparent vinyl?

stevie_b
30-11-2011, 17:49
foil wrap

I know this isn't what you meant, but I couldn't help thinking of this when I read the title...

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Metro_03.jpg

:lol:

robi1000
30-11-2011, 19:49
Ha ha! :lol: Sorry, English is my second language, so I do run out of vocabulary from time to time. :D

But wrapped in foil it would at least be safe from "cosmic radiation"! :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2404325409_5543da1791.jpg

stevie_b
30-11-2011, 21:32
Sorry, English is my second language

Yes, sorry, I know. I did think twice about it but thought that your English is so good you would see the funny side rather than take it as a criticism. I hope. :lol: That car was recently on a TV programme here called Fifth Gear. They bought the car and then had the wrap done to see if it increased the value at all, and then sold the car on Ebay. For a loss of course!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2404325409_5543da1791.jpg

Good, I see that you have prepared precautions well. Remember, we only have about 17 days left to protect our friends and family before the solar flare reaches us. Please make sure everyone you care about is aware and does similar and we can save them.

robi1000
30-11-2011, 21:56
Haha, no hard feelings at all! :D

About the foil... Better safe then sorry! :P

Twincam
30-11-2011, 23:02
3M is a premium product and very good hence the price. We use 2 different cast types for wrapping

Hexis is also a good product although we'v only used it when we haven't managed to find a match with another vinyl

You will find transparent more expensive as it will be a printable vinyl instead of a coloured cast. You will need to laminate it to give you a better thickness to form some protection. Without laminate it will only be around 55 microns which is pretty thin

Are you planning to try and fit it yourself or a local company?

Any company that wraps in your area will probably use different materials depending on warrantys and certified fitters

Just remember it will only give a minimal amount of protection

Rich

robi1000
30-11-2011, 23:18
So what would protect my precious car from stones flying my way on trackdays (don't say don't do any trackdays! :lol:)?

I also plan to fit Speedline 2012 and they throw insane amount of stones towards the rear of the car.

Maybe this is a silly idea, but could I also wrap rear rims in vinyl or something similar (I don't know how temperature resistant this vinyl is)? Because 2012 on the rear really get all stonechipped!

robi1000
30-11-2011, 23:19
Oh and I'm not sure I could wrap it myself. Probably could, but I'm afraid that final result would not meet my expectations... :D

stevie_b
30-11-2011, 23:27
So what would protect my precious car from stones flying my way on trackdays

If you don't care how it looks and you only need to cover the most vulnerable areas then gaffer a piece of cardboard over the front of the bonnet and then remove before you drive home at the end of the day?

robi1000
30-11-2011, 23:37
I would prefer something that would not spoil the look of the car. I need something that would be virtually unnoticable on the car while protecting it as much as possible from scratches and stonechips.

I guess it's a bit mutually exclusive, but something as close as possible would be nice.

Twincam
30-11-2011, 23:44
I would prefer something that would not spoil the look of the car. I need something that would be virtually unnoticable on the car while protecting it as much as possible from scratches and stonechips.

I guess it's a bit mutually exclusive, but something as close as possible would be nice.

Like iv said in my post above, I would personally use a product like venture shield fitted to areas which are likely to get stone chips as stevie b says

We fit this material for a local BMW dealership to X5's to stop stone chips on the rear arches

As for wrapping your wheels, our MD has just wrapped the front of his X5 wheels matt black and after 2 months they still look fine

robi1000
01-12-2011, 11:54
Thanks for the info! Really cleared up a lot of questions!

snowman
01-12-2011, 14:18
I have a mountain bike that's wrapped in clear vinyl,it was expensive to do and looked great when first done,but once you get a chip from stones in it water/grit/mud all gets under it and it starts to spread under the film making it look shit. Its only a bike and the frame is tiny compared to a car panel size so doesn't really matter but wouldn't want to have it start on a car panel.

fabulicious
01-12-2011, 14:49
Rich,

Do you provide this service only locally? Is there a lot of equipment to carry around if you needed to hop on a plane as such?

Ta.

Twincam
02-12-2011, 08:30
The company I work for would offer the service and we do work worldwide but it would be costly

The tools needed to do the job are pretty small. The vinyl and heat gun would be the largest things

If anyones interested here's a link to a video of our mini getting wrapped

http://www.astsigns.co.uk/ast-signs/vehicle-wrapping-videos/Printing-Com-Mini-Wrap/

Also you can put 'astsigns' into YouTube and it will show you a couple more

We'v wrapped alot of different things now with the m-sport wrc fiesta's being one and probably one of the most impressive on a scale was all the Pirelli f1 trailers and trucks all in carbon fibre :)

robi1000
02-12-2011, 12:15
...probably one of the most impressive on a scale was all the Pirelli f1 trailers and trucks all in carbon fibre :)

That probably cost a fortune! :shock: