PDA

View Full Version : dodgy steering

retrowrighty
10-11-2011, 18:26
Hi ive just about got my williams 2 ready for the road just the new clutch to fit and the steering to sort there seems to be alot of freeplay in the steering you can turn the steering wheel from side to side without the wheels moving.it looks to me that the play is at the bottom of the colum in the joint that attaches the the rack. Is this a common thing and does the mean i need to change the whole colum aaaahhhhhh nightmare pleease help lol

16v_paddy
10-11-2011, 20:10
It's a common problem caused by wear & tear but easily fixed with a bit of welding at the bottom of the column :wink:

lkcio86
10-11-2011, 21:55
you can change the whole column if you wish, the quicker way is to weld the column, peel back the carpet and insulation from behind the brake/clutch pedal then the protective rubber boot and you will see the u/j with a missing rubber bush, the column and u/j can be welded together, be careful not to set fire to the car, that would be a shame, welding a column is officially a no no but when the rubber boot is refitted over the whole lot its not noticeable

retrowrighty
10-11-2011, 23:54
Ok guys thanks for that gona strip it out at the weekend and c wat im up against i suppose i would have to carry out a large bank robbery to pay for a new colum :lol:

16v_paddy
11-11-2011, 00:37
Nah, a minor post office robbery will suffice for that :wink:

retrowrighty
11-11-2011, 14:47
Guys thanku again sorted it today i kinda remember fittin a colum on one before cus of the worn bush daft idea that just got the car in on my lunch our got the welding blanket in and stiched it together all sorted just gona track it up