PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a gearbox

sclark2604
06-11-2011, 20:46
After finding out that my willy box :lol: is of a diesal.

How hard is it to fit a new one. I take it the engine needs to come out. :cry:

Thanks

Rich
06-11-2011, 21:14
nope, lower subframe and it will slide out once everything is unbolted

sclark2604
06-11-2011, 21:18
Is this somthing i can do on a driveway???

16v_paddy
06-11-2011, 22:11
You'll get 2 schools of thought with gearbox swapping.

Personally, on a driveway there's no way I'd attempt box removal by dropping the subframe as it just seems a stupid amount of back breaking work in a very confined space to do it & that's only if the captive nuts behave & don't snap :evil:

I'd say that method is doable if being done on a set of ramps & using a transmission jack but I'd much rather take the whole lot out as fitting the box to an engine that's sat in front of you with room to move around it is a hell of a lot easier & less stressful imo

zmaster2k
07-11-2011, 08:13
Personal preference....I personally like removing the entire engine. Because as paddy says its very easy to put a gearbox on a engine in front of you, also very easy to do clutch, oil filter, etc etc

2 live
07-11-2011, 10:43
as above, 2 trains of thought. personally if its just box/clutch i drop the subby. easy enough to do on a driveway. if im doing anything else tho, cambelt etc, then i take eng out the top

chip
07-11-2011, 11:14
Definately doable on the driveway by dropping the subframe (undo passenger side but just loosen off on the drivers side to allow it to tip), total pain in the arse if the captive nuts dont behave, but other than that not a huge amount to it.

Gearboxes on these cars are pretty light, so not anywhere near as physically demanding as on a lot of cars.

Definately a whole afternoon gone at least, and if its your first time then probably all day realistically.

Wobba
07-11-2011, 11:48
I may be doing the subframe route for gearbox removal as well soon.

Can you drop the entire subframe? I guess you need to undo the steering column to rack right? What about the power steering pipes?

I might replace the subframe as well as the clutch and gearbox itself.

My current box is showing signs of wear and I want to get the LSD checked as well as it could have been damaged.

chip
07-11-2011, 11:58
To get the box out, you dont need to undo the steering column or power steering pipes etc, there is enough play in it.

Rich
07-11-2011, 19:04
Is this somthing i can do on a driveway???

yes it can, you won't have much room and it is time consuming. If you have the tools to take the engine out the top if it was me, i'd do it that way, but thats because last time I had an engine out of my old valver i'd done it that often i'd got it down to an hour and a half :lol:

sclark2604
08-11-2011, 21:17
Right....Basically i have found a replacment box but its still on the car, and the bloke has no clue or tools to take it out but is breaking the car :-s :? . Its a 2 hour drive from me and what to be as quick as poss on his driveway. can this be done without dropping or removing the engine.

I've got someone to take my engine out of mine so i can give it a service at the same time.

Thanks

16v_paddy
08-11-2011, 23:34
Not really no :? It can certainly be done a bit quicker if the car doesn't ever need to go back together again but it's still quite a bit of work to get it out

In what direction is the guy 2 hours away? I'm in notts so could try & lend a hand :wink:

sclark2604
09-11-2011, 00:58
he's in lemmington spa. I'm in grantham. An extra pair of hands would be a big help. Its a complete car with bit of front end damage. all i want is the box and the wheels, so if you wanted some stuff as well.

Cheers

Wobba
09-11-2011, 13:32
Don't you need to loosen the subframe bolts on the other side?

Can you leave the drivers driveshaft in place and slot it off the output shaft of the box when taking it out, or do you have to mess about with the stub axle on that side to get the shaft off the box?

Does the box drop through the bottom or come out through the passenger arch?

chip
09-11-2011, 13:36
Don't you need to loosen the subframe bolts on the other side?

Yes, as per my earlier reply in the thread:
(undo passenger side but just loosen off on the drivers side to allow it to tip)

Can you leave the drivers driveshaft in place and slot it off the output shaft of the box when taking it out, or do you have to mess about with the stub axle on that side to get the shaft off the box?

Just undo the drivers side bottom balljoint so you can easily move it about, its possible to do so without but just means more things to try and line up at once when putting it on.

Does the box drop through the bottom or come out through the passenger arch?

Out the wheelarch, you just have to drop the subframe to give it clearance to do so as the box needs to drop down further than it can with that in place.

I've also taken it out the top before with the engine still in place, but you still need to drop the subframe a bit to manouvre it enough, wouldnt recomend it, it ends up scratching the bay as its not a loose fit at all, easier to just take it out the wheel arch.

Wobba
09-11-2011, 14:09
Right ok, thanks. That helps picture things in my minds eye before going ahead!

chip
09-11-2011, 14:15
If you take the wheel off and look in at the size orifice between the subframe and the chassis, it will become even more obvious why the subframe has to drop a bit :)

Wobba
09-11-2011, 14:35
Oh ye, I spent enough time down there to see that, but just wanted to get the procedure in my head to do my gearbox swap.

chip
09-11-2011, 17:02
Are you changing clutch at the same time?

If so make sure you put some effort into making sure the drive spline is central, otherwise you'll be there forever with the box wondering why it wont go on.

Coops
10-11-2011, 11:51
i find it just as easy to undo all 4 frame bolts completely and the pinch bolt to the column/ball joints, frame drops totally then and hangs off downpipe so its easy to drop the box out, no wiggling etc and scratching inner arch etc

can be done on drive no danger and captives arent too bad if they go wrong, simply prise the cage out with a screwdriver then get a stubby spanner on the nut, no danger ;-)

Wobba
10-11-2011, 17:14
But what about all the steering rack gubbins Coops?

Yes, I will change clutch at same time. I've got locating tools etc all ready for it.

caddy1210
16-02-2012, 06:59
no tools or a clue but hes breaking a car thats funny,
taking it out underneath you should get it done in no time at all,
but putting it in is the awkward part,
just beware of the roll pin if you haven't come across one as that will set
you back a few hours if you only have basic tools or a cheap punch

Daz4567
16-02-2012, 12:45
I have changed a gearbox in a weekend. I have no mechanical training, just self taught, and used the Haynes manual.

I just dropped the sub frame.

Not the easiest job in the world but certainly not rocket science and saved myself hundreds of pounds.

Wobba
17-02-2012, 13:16
I am going to do mine soonish, may pop the diff out and visually check it too.

It's been too cold, dark and wet, otherwise I would have done it by now.

16v_paddy
17-02-2012, 21:03

So much for "I'm so hardcore I'll be outside on christmas day ripping my gearbox out" :roll:

:P

Wobba
20-02-2012, 13:20

So much for "I'm so hardcore I'll be outside on christmas day ripping my gearbox out" :roll:

:P

Yea I became a pussy overnight I'm afraid.

16v_paddy
20-02-2012, 21:28
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lunner
22-02-2012, 13:46
he's in lemmington spa. I'm in grantham. An extra pair of hands would be a big help. Its a complete car with bit of front end damage. all i want is the box and the wheels, so if you wanted some stuff as well.

Cheers

What car did it come out of?

I'm in Leamington Spa too, presume you've got this all sorted long ago now?