PDA

View Full Version : Williams standard oil cooler

schakal
01-11-2011, 22:34
Did all Williams come with an oil cooler ?
Do i really need one in a daily driver ?

stevie_b
01-11-2011, 23:02
Yes, the Williams came with a water to oil cooler.

If you see high oil temps in general daily use then yes, you would benefit from a cooler. If you don't then you don't! Worth getting one if it is going to have any track use and have a thermostatic valve so it is not used until temps do rise.

16v_paddy
01-11-2011, 23:23
Some valvers had them as well :wink: but thinking of them as a cooler is a bit wrong, think of it as a heat exchanger for helping the oil get up to operating temperature a bit quicker when it's cold outside

schakal
01-11-2011, 23:28
Yes, the Williams came with a water to oil cooler.

If you see high oil temps in general daily use then yes, you would benefit from a cooler. If you don't then you don't! Worth getting one if it is going to have any track use and have a thermostatic valve so it is not used until temps do rise.

Thats the problem , i am fitting the williams engine into my 19
and i really need to decide whether i keep the cooler or not before i actually
fit the engine in there as it changes pretty much the complete pipe work.

16v_paddy
01-11-2011, 23:31
If it's gonna be used daily throughout the winter then leave it fitted so you still get to the proper operating temps quicker but fit a proper cooler to as well if it's gonna get some abuse on track

Markic
02-11-2011, 10:05
Williams has more of a heat exchanger, it's not really an oil cooler, when you put proper oil cooler you quite extend the engine life of the engine, oil runs pretty much cooler.

jimslong
02-11-2011, 10:50
As mark said, the 'oil cooler' is to heat the oil when its cold, just as much as cool it down when its hot.

schakal
02-11-2011, 13:02
The car wont be seeing any track action !

Does the F7R engine need the standard cooler more than the F7P ?
The reason i ask this is , i dont have an oil cooler (from factory) on my 1991 renault 19 with F7P engine and the engine in there has always been fine even now after going through 146k miles !

I would like to remove the oil cooler if its just there because Renault have been over cautious .

On the other hand i dont think there is oil cooler on clio 1.7.2 and 1.8.2 models even on cup models ? :roll:

McPikie
02-11-2011, 13:17
On the other hand i dont think there is oil cooler on clio 1.7.2 and 1.8.2 models even on cup models ? :roll:

Nope

No heat exchanger or cooler on the F4R..... but it is a different engine no?

2 live
02-11-2011, 13:52
maybe reno put the cooler on for homolgomation purposes. the 1*2s dont need them as thdy arent homolgomation specials??

if for just use as a daily its probably not worth it. a bit like replying to your posts, just for shits n giggles and to educate a moron. ;)

A&P
02-11-2011, 15:00
Anything that aids oil to heat up quicker or keep at constant temp is only a good thing I would personally leave it on , just my opinion mate :wink: but its not a must by any means. Cheers ANDREW.

McPikie
02-11-2011, 15:03
Surely though, once up to temp, the exchanger would keep it hot. Maybe too hot, given some folk run their cooler stat at 80C

A&P
02-11-2011, 15:17
I see your point but for example on my cup I run a similar set up i.e water/oil cooler all be it a more complex version and oil temp is always rock steady even on the hottest of days while competing on any length of circuit, I know shaks isnt taking it on track but if its an upgrade thats already there why remove it? Again just my opinion and these coolers/heat exch. are not life or death to the engine. :)

tutuur
05-11-2011, 10:13
it's indeed for warming the oil up but also cooling it!
water temp should be around 90. when using the car hard oiltemp will pretty much be more than 90 so the heat exchanger starts to work as a cooler :)