PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge

canelloni
30-10-2011, 15:55
My willy seems to run at two thirds all the Time is this to high :) :?

andyleep
30-10-2011, 16:07
All the time would seem too hot. Mine sometimes exceeds the 1st quarter mark on hot days, but now the weather is cold I can't remember it going over the first quarter!

canelloni
30-10-2011, 16:38
I wasn't sure but came back from Bridlington this morning m62. M18. M1 for 50 miles sat at 90 mph and it never moved from two thirds so wasn't sure

andyleep
30-10-2011, 16:59
Well that's a constant load of work for the engine to do. But I would consider that to be too hot if it was my car - there would have been a chilly mass of air hitting the rad so temp is too high in my opinion. But if it wasnt getting higher and higher and stayed constant I wouldn't be too concerned. Just keep an eye out, into the last third and that's when I would really start to worry!

Wobba
31-10-2011, 10:40
That's too hot if you're cruising at 70/80.

Coolant system flush and new thermostat in order! Check your fan works, it should be cutting in at that temperature.

MAXIBOY
31-10-2011, 19:51
fan should only come on while the car is stationary . its used for drawing air over the radiator

if the car is moving forward at more than 10 mile an hour fan should be totally redundant .

if running hot as well as the above header tank and cap could be suspect

canelloni
01-11-2011, 18:01
Just a thought but could the temperature sender be giving the gauge a false reading :?

canelloni
03-11-2011, 20:09
Still not sure on this surley if it's running far too hot like people say then the expansion bottle top would release excess pressure and steam and then when cold the water level should be down but it's not moved :roll:

cliokiz
04-11-2011, 14:39
Your readings are fine, pretty sure that's where the standard thermostat should keep the temperatures anyway even on the motorway.

It needs to run at that temperature to keep your heater nice and toasty. Would recommend a lower temperature thermostat for the summer months though.

canelloni
04-11-2011, 15:12
Where's the best place to get a low temparature stat from or would it hurt if I just took the stat out all together. I did that with an old mini I used to have :P

cliokiz
04-11-2011, 15:56
Don't take the stat out, otherwise it'll run too cold on motorway runs.

Mat Brown can supply lower temp thermostats, but generally i wouldn't recommend them unless it's during the summer months.

They run fine on 3/4 mark on the Gauge. The standard fan switch doesn't cut in until just after this mark anyway. Don't worry about it.

16v_paddy
04-11-2011, 16:59
No stat or a low temp 1 will make it bloody horrible on fuel & be cold inside the car during the winter months

canelloni
17-11-2011, 13:50
System flushed new thermostat and temperature sender unit over the weekend now seems to sit at a third steadily rising to two thirds the drops back to a third so I'm guessing that's when the thermostat is opening so low temperature stat required in the spring I think :roll:

Coops
17-11-2011, 14:03
i wouldnt worry about it at all unless your hitting the red tbh

MatBrown
17-11-2011, 17:58
No stat or a low temp 1 will make it bloody horrible on fuel & be cold inside the car during the winter months

Not true.

cliokiz
17-11-2011, 18:08
I've left a valver running for so long with a knackered fan, the expansion tank cap popped up and shot a fountain of rusty brown coolant into the air and all over the entire car. The bonnet was open at the time.

I didn't know the fan was knackered and i was outside the car with the bonnet open looking for what was burning in the engine bay. Walked away for a moment and POP!

Killed the engine and let it cool down, got it trailered home. Topped it up with coolant again the next day and it still ran perfectly fine for months after that.

These cars can run hot, don't worry.

16v_paddy
17-11-2011, 22:37

Not true.

Ok so I was making a sweeping generalisation but there's an element of truth to it. Valvers are awesome in winter for how toasty & warm they get inside - a snowy evening sleeping in the cars with the engine running at Santa Pod where Kiz ran out of fuel :lol: is proof of that. They'll never be as toasty as they're supposed to be with a low temp stat fitted

cliokiz
24-11-2011, 13:51
Good times!