PDA

View Full Version : put my fuel pump on a switch????

lewis_willy2
13-08-2005, 13:09
my car is ready to start, but as some may no my fuel pump is constantly running even without keys in ignition? ive had a few sparkies(qualified auto electricians) 2 have a look and nothing, do i:

1) send her to renault monday mornin and await the huge bill of repair? (cuse no one knows the prob and renault labour is well expensive, the 1st auto electrian looked at my car for about 8 hours and charged me £50 jus to say i needed a new ecu which is not true as i bought 1!)

2) jus wire my fuel pump to a switch in my dash? if so can anyone tell me how to do this please?

BigBoreBri
13-08-2005, 13:20
Whats car/engine etc, mate?

And most "auto-electricians" really dont know much about electronics, lol

Anyway... if its just a normal valver id check the fuel pump relay 1st:

* Pin 1 - Ignition +ve (Yellow Wire)
* Pin 2 - ECU Signal (Beige Wire)
* Pin 3 - Constant +ve via the starter motor (Red Wire)
* Pin 5 - Feed to the pump/injectors etc. (White Wire)

Pins 1&2 are the relay coil, 3&5 the N/O Contacts.... sounds to me as though the relay has gone... :P

MatBrown
13-08-2005, 14:07
Have you swapped engines lately?

Mat.

lewis_willy2
13-08-2005, 14:17
its a 16v clio, i jus changed my gearbox, now gt probs?

BigBoreBri
13-08-2005, 14:23
Check ya earth connections too mate incase there's a loose one lurking!

I did a 106 GTI conversion a while back and bloody 4got about the earth from the old rallye loom...
Had me well confused when it wouldnt start! :oops:

VIPERONE
13-08-2005, 15:50
putting a fuel pump on a switch is a good idea for an immobiliser, however change you relay first.

lewis_willy2
13-08-2005, 16:50
ye imobilise it a bit more sounds good, any ideas how to do it?

i jus been fiddlin about but noticed i havent got an earth on the gearbox? but now theres a bit more petrol in it the fuel pump has quietened down, and she goes to turn over now but got no spark!!!

checked the two plugs tht sit next to the n/s strut, the 1 pin has an orangey wire to it an with ignition on it reads .011v

the 3 pin plug has a yellow wire with 11.97v going to it, a black with .004 going to it and an orangey 1 with .020v going to it??? any ideas if these are correct???

it shud still start rite? so thts my aim by 2mro (get it sparkin!) by the way its got magnecor spark wires? nt sure if the dizzy is?

case
14-08-2005, 00:27
If you can't solve the problem.

Instead of putting a switch in put a relay where ever you switch was going to be, and put it so the relay switches open when the ignition is on.

Mark

BigBoreBri
14-08-2005, 14:01
Actually mate just get an earth on the gearbox and see if that solves it...
Although i woudnt have though id would turn over if there was no earth there in the 1st place! :?

BTW, the readings like 0.02v etc is just background voltage, in otherwords there's nothing really there! :wink: