PDA

View Full Version : She is a bleeder / LLandow track day

schakal
16-10-2011, 14:09
Somehow scraped the sump at one of the rear corners causing it to leak .
I cant see a crack or a hole but as soon as i wipe the oil off it reappears
on the same spot .
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/evrenfenci/S8005789.jpg

I am thinkin of draining the sump and using something like this
to repair the damage without removing it as i for sure know one of the
torx bolts on the sump (nearer the g/b side ) is allready rounded and wont come off without a big fight .
Anyone used this stuff before ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220434019040?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Twincam
16-10-2011, 15:28
I fixed a hairline crack on my 19 16v with this stuff
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m1b1489s4362p12608/_CARGO_-_Quik_Steel_Epoxy_Putty_-_2oz_/RS_GB

Although it only suppose to be a tempory repair it lasted 3 years and was fine

Also used the same stuff on the road rally car when I cracked it on an event. It managed to seal it and had enough hold to let me finish the event. Even with the oil trickling out the crack

Rich

A&P
16-10-2011, 18:43
Wish I would have known you were there would have come along, did you straight line the chicane , only asking as I have done that myself and theres a nasty hole just off the right hand edge bent my wheel and broke a wing :cry:

schakal
16-10-2011, 23:26
I fixed a hairline crack on my 19 16v with this stuff
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m1b1489s4362p12608/_CARGO_-_Quik_Steel_Epoxy_Putty_-_2oz_/RS_GB

Although it only suppose to be a tempory repair it lasted 3 years and was fine

Also used the same stuff on the road rally car when I cracked it on an event. It managed to seal it and had enough hold to let me finish the event. Even with the oil trickling out the crack

Rich

Mine looks like an hairline crack too .
I assume on the 19 you have drained cleaned up and sanded down the surface of the sump to get this epoxy to stick properly ?

Unfortunately i did not have a sump drain bolt socket there,
i was going to drain and seal it with windscreen bonding stuff i had , just to get me going the 2nd half of the day :cry:

schakal
16-10-2011, 23:31
Wish I would have known you were there would have come along, did you straight line the chicane , only asking as I have done that myself and theres a nasty hole just off the right hand edge bent my wheel and broke a wing :cry:

What car were you in mate ?

I am 95% sure i have done this by dropping into a pot hole
around the back where the scrappies are. We were looking for a relay for my mates car that broke down in the lunch break .

Proper gutted :cry:

A&P
17-10-2011, 08:05
No wasnt there but go to llandow often let me know next time and I will bring something to have a play, sounds like you hit the same hole as me on the back straight. Think a few of us will be there testing for next season before long. Cheers ANDREW.

chip
17-10-2011, 10:38
I chemical metalled the sump on my old F7P when I cracked it, was fine afterwards.

Not ideal but as the sumps are a bit of a PITA to remove cause of the subframe its a good temp fix.

I drained the oil first, then cleaned the sump up, then just applied a thing smear of it, lasted ages.

schakal
17-10-2011, 18:33
No wasnt there but go to llandow often let me know next time and I will bring something to have a play, sounds like you hit the same hole as me on the back straight. Think a few of us will be there testing for next season before long. Cheers ANDREW.

We (3 cars ) might be going back the end of november for another blast .
i will post up on here to see anyone else wants to come over .Its a nice cheap day £80 a car .

After draining and cleaning the surface ,it looks more like it has hit something and dented the ally a bit . used that quiksteel stuff to cover it all and she doesnt seem to be leaking at all now .
However i managed to fookker the sump bolt threads while doing it
back up :roll: which gives me another reason to change the sump sooner rather than later.