PDA

View Full Version : Williams 2 Start Problem

Willbee
13-10-2011, 13:58
New to the Williams so forgive my newbie questions!

I have a car that has stood in a garage for sometime.

Charged the battery the other day.. it then started first time. Then a couple of hours later it just refused. There were lights on on the dash and you could hear an electronic click when you turned the key but no motion.

Bump started the car, seemed to run fun with no misfiring etc. Then when I came to stop, pushed in the clutch and it cut out. Restarted it with the key no problem, but then after a few minutes it had the same starting problem.

Someone advised me they thought it was the distributor cap causing the problems. But I was wondering whether the most likely cause was a battery that is not holding charge properly.. seeing as it started first time immediatly after being charged and then again after the car had been driven for 5 minutes.

Any thoughts guys?

Wobba
13-10-2011, 14:09
It may well be battery, they tend to go off if left stood.

I doubt it is dizzy, but that is easy to check and replace.

Get some pics!

Willbee
13-10-2011, 14:15
It may well be battery, they tend to go off if left stood.

I doubt it is dizzy, but that is easy to check and replace.

Get some pics!

Thanks wobba, can you recommend a place to order the battery from? I'll get some pics done next week.. it needs a wash first!

Wobba
13-10-2011, 14:26
It may be worth testing the battery first with a simple voltmeter, a good battery can be pricey!

Willbee
13-10-2011, 14:30
It may be worth testing the battery first with a simple voltmeter, a good battery can be pricey!

yep, car is actually in Derby at the moment.. im in London so have asked someone living there to give that a go for me! Fingers crossed it's just a knackered battery!

northy
13-10-2011, 15:26
could be the battery is old - try and get a BOSCH one from Costco. Best batterys i have ever had.

could be the wiring on the starter that is corroded.

Could be the starter motor.

Willbee
13-10-2011, 15:31
could be the battery is old - try and get a BOSCH one from Costco. Best batterys i have ever had.

If it was a problem with the starter motor/wiring would you expect it to be an intermittent problem? Sometimes it starts (immediatly after charging and after a 5 minute drive), sometimes nothing at all.

diditno
13-10-2011, 21:18

If it was a problem with the starter motor/wiring would you expect it to be an intermittent problem? Sometimes it starts (immediatly after charging and after a 5 minute drive), sometimes nothing at all.

could be. I had a similar problem with a shity earth on the starter. Prob the battery tho. Most car spareplaces have a battery check service, so id try that first