bigjim
12-08-2005, 18:23
worthwhile mod?

Martin
12-08-2005, 18:28
NO! They damage your bonnet ...get Avos

Martin
12-08-2005, 18:28
or tbh keep the stnd setup it's damn good...

bigjim
12-08-2005, 18:29
how do they damage the bonnet???? :shock:

Martin
12-08-2005, 18:30
Too much thread above the strut tops fouls the bonnet...dinting it in time.

bigjim
12-08-2005, 18:33
:shock: dont think ill be getting those then.

richy
12-08-2005, 19:05
ive had coilovers and gone back to std shocks with uprated springs, much better imo, still got the williams feel but much sharper turn in and bit more control , allthough the avo coilovers was good they didnt feel right for some reason

BenR
12-08-2005, 19:19
agree, std willy shocks with some mild lowering and slightly stiffer springs is great!

Myers16v
13-08-2005, 01:41
I have FK's they are the same as gaz, i feel like my teeth are going to smash every time i go for a drive i am a bit gutted i spent that kind on money on them but fook me my car is low, too low i think that might be the problem. Corners like its on rails, not sure about dinting the bonnet, they were fitted incorrectly at first and they were high but i got them re fitted and they are ok now.

i dont like lowering springs, but there are may mods i would buy before coilovers. But then again ride hight is amazing with them a handles great. I would not put them on a car i would use everyday !!!!!

fab
13-08-2005, 08:26
Terminology
These terms apply to automotive suspension coil springs.

Active Coils: Coils which are free to deflect under load. Also referred to as working coils.

Approx. Lowering: The approximate amount of chassis ride height reduction. This will vary depending on optional equipment: gas shocks, age of stock springs and upper strut bearings.

Bottoming Out: The suspension reaches its maximum compressed height, not when tires rub fenders or contact the chassis.

Dead or Inactive Coils: Coils, which are in contact with adjacent coils at loaded height. Inactive coils do nothing but give the spring enough free length to stay tight in the spring perches at full rebound.

Deflection: The travel of the spring as it is compressed.

Foamy Bumpstop: Also referred to as a supplemental spring, a progressive-rate urethane jounce bumper will make the suspension progressive. Gives a smooth transition to full compression.

Free Length: The overall length of a spring in unloaded position. May also be referred to as UN-INSTALLED LENGTH.

Full Jounce, Full Compression: The suspension is completely loaded. The springs and bumpstops are totally compressed.

Full Rebound, Full Droop: The suspension is completely unloaded. Example: When the vehicle is on a lift and the tires and wheels are hanging in the air.

Linear Spring: One rate throughout the springs working range.

Loaded Height: Or INSTALLED HEIGHT, is the length of the spring compressed under the load of the vehicle weight, when the vehicle is at rest on level ground. Also may be referred to as STATIC HEIGHT.

Pre-Setting or Blocking: The spring is compressed so all coils are touching. Pre-setting gives the spring a set so they cannot sag. The springs are said to be "pre-sagged". (Super-BlokTM)

Progressive Spring: Is when there is a variable rate increase throughout the spring's working range.

Spring Clatter: When dead or inactive coils are not completely in contact with each other at loaded height, but come in contact with each other while driving.

Spring Rate: A change in load per unit deflection, generally given in pounds per inch.

Suspension: The system of springs, shock absorbers and other devices that insulates the chassis of a vehicle from shock (bumps in the road) transmitted through the wheels.

Wax Lube: Found at your local bicycle shop and is used to lubricate intricate components, including the chain. The Boeing Company has also developed a wax lube (Boeshield T-9) for long-term protection of aircraft. Their research found that none of the Teflon, silicone, or synthetic sprays held up as long as a wax lube when exposed to a corrosive environment. The wax based lube is also becoming popular due to its ability to penetrate deeply into fasteners and fixtures while displacing moisture, resisting corrosion, and at the same time detering dirt build up.

Working Spring Rate: The rate of the spring from the installed height to full compression. This is the spring rate you use when you are driving your car. This is the only spring rate which can be used when comparing Spring Performance.