PDA

View Full Version : Changing the starter motor

glyn211269
02-10-2011, 10:47
According to Haynes you have to take the downpipe off. I dont like the sound of that as its going to be rusted up to fook. Can the starter motor be wrestled out without taking this off? And tips anyone??

cliokiz
03-10-2011, 09:51
Not really, the starter is also secured at the rear to a bracket which will be a pain to get to.

If you can get the car up on a ramp you may be able to do it if you remove the passenger side driveshaft

sk84life
03-10-2011, 12:15
I managed to change my starter motor without removing the downpipe, was a pain as mentioned however was doable.

chip
04-10-2011, 10:56
Fiddly but you dont need to take the downpipe off.

Its easier on a williams than a valver.

glyn211269
04-10-2011, 11:20
That had occured to me as the Haynes manual only covers the valver with that horrible square manifold thing. Glad to hear that the Willy is slightly easier then (relatively speaking obviously!)

chip
04-10-2011, 11:41
Its not just a little easier on the williams, its a LOT easier.

Its not just the manifold that is different, its also a noticeably smaller starter motor, which means its far easier to get through the available spacing.

Think it took the mrs about 10 mins when she changed the williams one recently IIRC, but it took her ages to do her old valver one.

glyn211269
04-10-2011, 11:49
Your mrs changed the started motor?! Much respect to her!!

My girlfriend loves the Willy as her first car was a Mk1 Clio, but she wouldn't go as far as getting her hands dirty. Although she does like getting dirty on the bonnet rather than under it.... ;-)

chip
04-10-2011, 12:00
Your mrs changed the started motor?! Much respect to her!!

My girlfriend loves the Willy as her first car was a Mk1 Clio, but she wouldn't go as far as getting her hands dirty. Although she does like getting dirty on the bonnet rather than under it.... ;-)

My mrs does or helps with most mechanical things I do TBH, she enjoys it.

She rebuilt the head on the williams engine as well for example while I rebuilt the bottom end, so the starter was relatively trivial by comparison I guess.

I dont really see being male or female as particuarly relevant TBH, my ex beat nearly all the blokes in the exams she took at the end of her mechanics college course and got a distinction, and I'd trust either the ex or the current mechanically over a lot of blokes I know.