PDA

View Full Version : VAG gearbox conversion

tutuur
28-09-2011, 08:55
As title says:
Scoff (Chris from efi-parts) is running a VAG gearbox on his 675bhp r5.
Now we have had som e-mail contact and he is willing to make a smal kit if there is enough interest.

Be warned: it won't be a bargain!

To make things clear, this needs to be done:
Adaptor plate for bellhousing
Spacer for flywheel
Custom flywheel
Custom driveshafts
Vag gearshifter
Custom mounts
Some sort of trigger wheel or standalone

This could be interesting for some turbo drivers on here!
Look on cliosport.net in the gearbox/mechanical section for the board.

tutuur
28-09-2011, 08:57
Chris is willing to fabricate the bellhousing adaptor, flywheel spacer and to custom make the flywheel.

I already bought myself an 02m s3 gearbox from ebay :)

James5
28-09-2011, 09:08
Being an RTOC member I have seen the quality anf the fabrication of this when Crhis was doing it for himself. I have even had the privalge of seeing the car in the flesh.
Awesome car and the man has some skills

chip
28-09-2011, 09:59
Seems like such a strange choice of box, they dont have an LSD and the change on them is quite clunky.

Anything is better than having to run a renault box though it has to be said!

I'm potentially interested but I suspect the cost will put me off as I can probably make it up cheaper myself in terms of a lot of the parts.

If you could get a price for just the adaptor plate and driveshafts though, I reckon I might be interested in those.

zmaster2k
28-09-2011, 10:14
Surely you might aswell fit the engine aswell?!

I mean if your after Big power then seems logical

chip
28-09-2011, 10:27
Surely you might aswell fit the engine aswell?!

I mean if your after Big power then seems logical

Depends what you are after, personally I dont want bigger power than I could easily get from the F7R anyway, I just want to be able to use my car hard on track and not keep having my day interupted by breaking the gearbox.

Plus comes down to if you already have a load of F7R bits or not.

Can definately see your logic though, thats the reason im going for the honda engine and box in my other mk1, because the engine is massively better than anything renault make.

tutuur
28-09-2011, 20:37
@chip

you will have to fabricate the driveshafts yourself because there's no standard for it. 5gtt, willy, 16v, rs etc.

adaptor plate will be no problem. but why only the adaptor plate and not the spacer and flywheel mate?

chip
30-09-2011, 22:06
@chip

you will have to fabricate the driveshafts yourself because there's no standard for it. 5gtt, willy, 16v, rs etc.

adaptor plate will be no problem. but why only the adaptor plate and not the spacer and flywheel mate?

I have a good source of flywheels at sensible money already.

This one for my nova to fit onto a saab engine and take my specification of twin plate clutch for example:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/chip-3door/4m2/b204/flywheel.jpg

walters300
30-09-2011, 23:34
sounds very interesting, the gearbox is the only hurdle for major power, do vag do a similar box with a diff as standard maybe? if the price is reasonable I am definitly interested.

zmaster2k
01-10-2011, 08:47
Lol chip showed me that flywheel when he got it.....damn light!!

chip
01-10-2011, 11:39
sounds very interesting, the gearbox is the only hurdle for major power, do vag do a similar box with a diff as standard maybe? if the price is reasonable I am definitly interested.

Not that springs to mind TBH so I dont think so, but aftermarket items are readily available.

Its not a great box though TBH as the change isnt particuarly nice either, wont drive as nice as the standard 172 box in that respect, but the 172 is just too weak to even consider for a serious engine so a slightly less nice to drive but much stronger box wins hands down.

chip
01-10-2011, 11:40
Lol chip showed me that flywheel when he got it.....damn light!!
Its not far off the weight of the clutch :shock:

walters300
01-10-2011, 17:14
:? always a catch, thanks for that will keep an eye on developments :wink:

tutuur
02-10-2011, 08:36
@chip

What do you call sensible money?

chip
02-10-2011, 19:12
@chip

What do you call sensible money?

Couple hundred quid for a lightweight billet flywheel.

tutuur
03-10-2011, 07:56
Are that commercial prices or just for you? :lol:

A vag 240mm lightweight billet flywheel will cost around 300quid and then still needs to be machined to fit the Renault crank. Would be better if it costs the same but fits at once!

chip
04-10-2011, 11:04
That wouldnt be a price offered to the public mate no.

tutuur
04-10-2011, 12:41
:lol:

Jaff
04-10-2011, 16:36
chip, how much would your flywheel supplier be able to make flywheels for this conversion for?

if its cheaper than a figure i have in my head then i may be intrested in giving him a bit of business if he wants it?

pm me if you wish :)

chip
04-10-2011, 17:02
Best flywheel supplier I know who deals with the public is TTV, give them a ring.