PDA

View Full Version : supersprint manifold or cams

bigjim
11-08-2005, 16:51
ok my car has full magnex, de cat, hill power i/k and hill power chip and i want more power, should i get the supersrint (£300) or cams (£430) obviously the fitting for the cams is going to be much more than the cost of fitting the manifold just dont want to spend £300 notes and not really notice much of a difference. the ktec site claims 7bhp for the manifold while depending on who u believe cams up to 20bhp. would like opinions from people who have the supersprint if worth the cash. cheers.

TwisT
11-08-2005, 17:02
I would of said cams would get you a better gain than the supersprint.

I have AWT cams in at the moment, and also got a supersprint manifold ready to go on and then mapped. I think the manifold just makes the engine more efficient, where cams really mod the heart of the engine.....

along with £430 for cams, i would also budget for about £400 to get the car properly mapped when you have cams fitted to get the full potential, i think its only half potential with cams and standard map. But you could sell the hillpower chip for about £100 to recoup some cost.

so the gains you get are roughly the same bhp to £cost ratio:-

at £730 cams + chip (+10-20bhp) and if you add Vernier pullys (£200) add on 5bhp more

or

£330 supersprint manifold (4-8bhp)

bigjim
11-08-2005, 17:09
yeah it is the awt cams i was looking at getting, did u notice much of a difference when they were fitted? how much did it cost to get them fitted?

TwisT
11-08-2005, 17:15
i think i got a little discount when i had my cams fitted as AWT were doing some other work, best give AWT a quick call for a quote, if you could stretch to it i would get the Vernier Pullys for £200 while you have the work done.

I do notice a gain, especially the way it pulls after 6krpm compared to before,and it would make power over 6.5k so the custom mapping (£400) is really needed, it will also run slightly lean up top when cammed so needs mapping.

I will get a dyno run before and after my supersprint goes on to see if its made a difference.

bigjim
11-08-2005, 17:27
think ill just get the manifold just now. cant stretch to mapping/fitting etc for cams at the moment and i dont rev the tits of my car so noticble gains over 6k are no good to me for the money involved reckon the manifold will give torque and bhp gains over the rev range rather than just top end.

TwisT
11-08-2005, 18:04
yeah the manifold should be good for the money, post after youve fitted it and if you can feel a gain in power?

im not sure if my dyno before and after is a fair test considering i got cams too, and how much bhp increase would be down to the manifold itself......

Martin
11-08-2005, 18:51
I would'nt bother with the manifold tbh the valver item is just as good imo There was no noticeable difference on the nana before after supersprint...

Winston
11-08-2005, 18:57
Yup valver manifold and cams :P

BenR
11-08-2005, 20:01
thirded, manifold i've never seen or felt a gain, the valver one is pretty darn good.

bigjim
11-08-2005, 20:07
ok so can i get a valver manifold brand new from renault and how much we talking, will it fit no probs to williams de cat?

MatBrown
11-08-2005, 23:29
Will need a 16v de-cat unless it has an adjustable flange.

Mat.

MatBrown
11-08-2005, 23:34
As for costs.

77 00 748 403 (not in price list)

77 00 805 956 EXHAUST PIPE 84.45

Mat.

Martin
12-08-2005, 00:01
should be able to get one second hand though for a few notes...better than giving reno 80odd quid imo

Craig
12-08-2005, 08:33
id get cams and a valver manifold. supersprint arent much better than the valver one. cams will make more difference but ull need verniers, anda map ideally! :)

bigjim
12-08-2005, 10:11
like i said cant stretch to cams/remap etc think ill still get supersprint manifold, will be better than standard and looks the bollox and will also fit onto my williams de cat. too much hassle getting valver decat etc for the valver manifold.

2 live
12-08-2005, 10:35
id go with the cams tbh. you can run round on ur std map til u can afford to have it mapped to suit anyway, but will feel a performance boost from the cams alone

the zorst can be remedied easily by fitting a valver zorst, imo only the posers have the s/s item fitted :wink: , no proven gain, over any other manifold, but shiny......but who sees under the bonnet while ur driving?? lol.....like the gold anodised cam pulleys.........wots the point?? lol

bigjim
12-08-2005, 14:08
supersprint claim 7bhp iirc as per the ktec website, it must provide more torque/bhp that the standard williams one, people are saying no difference from standard but has anyone actually had one fitted and had a before and after rr print out on the same rollers done to prove that it offers no gains? i dont think so. supersprint are a quality manufacturer and if they claim bhp gains i believe them. also summeh on here had one fitted and raves about it. like ive said cams are only going to increase bhp at the top end which isnt my thing and also the costs involved to have the work done and remapped to get the best of any gains will cost £1000 which is way too much im afraid. when ive got the cash ill probably go to hillpower for a modified head and cams at the same time with remap.

TwisT
12-08-2005, 15:14
supersprint claim 7bhp iirc as per the ktec website, it must provide more torque/bhp that the standard williams one, people are saying no difference from standard but

**** has anyone actually had one fitted and had a before and after rr print out on the same rollers done to prove that it offers no gains? i dont think so***** .

Might be a good idea to get your car RR before and after you have the supersprint fitted, and post the power charts up, it might suprise a few on here if the 7bhp gain was correct !

bigjim
12-08-2005, 15:35
garage where i take my car for all the work has a state of the art rr and i know the owner well so ill ask him if i can rr it before and then after the manifold is fitted so that we can all see if any gains are made. i would like to know what my car is pushing out anyway as never been on the rollers yet.

big hp
12-08-2005, 17:10
Get the manifold and then get it RR's like you say.

I'll be interested in the results as i'm thinking of one. I know everyone says get a valver manifold but I want a s/s one :D

Martin
12-08-2005, 17:43
supersprint claim 7bhp iirc as per the ktec website, it must provide more torque/bhp that the standard williams one, people are saying no difference from standard but has anyone actually had one fitted and had a before and after rr print out on the same rollers done to prove that it offers no gains? i dont think so. supersprint are a quality manufacturer and if they claim bhp gains i believe them. also summeh on here had one fitted and raves about it. like ive said cams are only going to increase bhp at the top end which isnt my thing and also the costs involved to have the work done and remapped to get the best of any gains will cost £1000 which is way too much im afraid. when ive got the cash ill probably go to hillpower for a modified head and cams at the same time with remap.

I take r/r s with a pinch of salt...especially after the results I've seen..lol Same car before and after supersprint runs pretty much the same times up the 1/4 mile....not worth the cash imho.

bigjim
12-08-2005, 18:14
im not getting it to run faster 1/4 times, i dont race my car. i want it to improve breathing and maybe torque to compliment the other mods ive already got on the car, im not expecting massive gains but i do think it will improve the car even if only by a little. its £300, not exactly mega bucks is it? like i said cams , remaps, verniers pulleys all costs £1000+ fitting which is very nice if u have the cash but i dont at the moment so the only mod i can make to the car that hasnt been done is the manifold.

richy
12-08-2005, 19:07
i decided instead of cams and manifold for mine im gonna do more trackdays and learn to get more out of the car, its fast enough and handles great as it is

Martin
12-08-2005, 19:19
im not getting it to run faster 1/4 times, i dont race my car. i want it to improve breathing and maybe torque to compliment the other mods ive already got on the car, im not expecting massive gains but i do think it will improve the car even if only by a little. its £300, not exactly mega bucks is it? like i said cams , remaps, verniers pulleys all costs £1000+ fitting which is very nice if u have the cash but i dont at the moment so the only mod i can make to the car that hasnt been done is the manifold.

Ok I was'nt expecting you to 1/4 mile your car I was just using it as an example of the performnace gain or lack of it in this case. Go ahead and get it it makes a nice noise...

bigjim
12-08-2005, 20:23
ive actually heard they can make the car sound at bit tinny??? who knows its a noisey bastard already with the mods on it so the neighbours are going to love me :oops: