PDA

View Full Version : Play in Splined Driveshaft Joint

glyn211269
07-09-2011, 08:53
Whilst the Willy was up on ramps for its MOT the other day it was noticed that there's quite a bit of rotational play in the joint where the inner end of the nearside driveshaft (the longer one) fits to the splined output shaft from the diff.......(where the roll pin fits) The driveshaft can be rocked to and from a degree or two on the splined joint which should be a tight fit shouldn't it?

So which part has worn here and what should be the plan to get it sorted? Being the inner end of long driveshaft, can just the inner end be replaced and not the whole shaft if thats whats needed??

I also get a slight vibrating 'tizzing' noise from the transmission when on the overrun (but only when the engines hot) which I assumed was a bearing or something in the box on its way out, but could the play in this joint be anything to do with it??

Any advice is appreciated, cheers :-)

16v_paddy
07-09-2011, 16:51
Only way to see what's at fault is to remove that shaft so you can see the splines on the box and the shaft.

If it's the splines on the shaft at fault I think it will be easier to get a whole new shaft than a new bit with a spline on