PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt set-up

andyleep
02-09-2011, 13:33
How many pulleys are on the alternator belt set-up? Is it just one, which I guess is the adjuster? It goes round PAS pump, crank and alternator as well. Anything else? I have a squeak when running first thing in the mornings which goes when warm. I'm led to believe this will probably be the adjuster on the aux belt so I was going to change all pulleys but can only see one listed with Renault?!

Wobba
02-09-2011, 16:29
It is more likely to be a slightly loose belt. Does it squeal more when cold and when its on full lock?

The tensioner pulley is a bitch to replace. I guess you could in theory take the pulley off without taking the entire PAS brackets off, and screw it back in but the likelihood of the part it screws into behind the bracket falling off is very high!

andyleep
05-09-2011, 08:18
When cold, yes. On full lock doesn't make a difference. What's the easiest way to tell if its the belt or the tensionner? How easy is it to just change the belt?

fabulicious
05-09-2011, 08:30
I suppose you could spray some wd40 on the belt to see if it gets any quieter?
To change you gotta take off the headlight, jack up the front of the car so you can get at the alternator bolt. Possibly get it from up top with the correct tools.
Not 100% sure if you need to take off the bottom timing belt cover but i think the belt wraps around the crank pulley. It's a fiddly job and you gotta watch out you dont over-tension the tensioner which you gotta loosen first with an allen key before adjusting.

Jaymzfc
05-09-2011, 11:12
I suppose you could spray some wd40 on the belt to see if it gets any quieter?

Do not do this, i did this every couple of days and made a right mess of the whole area and it's a bitch to clean after, simply change the belt, it's a pain in the butt but will last and fix the problem.

andyleep
05-09-2011, 22:32
Belt WILL fix the problem?! :-D
Having the cambelt changed soon and asked about having the aux tensionner changed at the same time but that bumped the price up by about £200! May just get the aux belt done at the same time then. Anyone recommended anywhere to get my cambelt changed?

andyleep
08-09-2011, 08:26
Noise was bad this morning. Does the alternator belt run the water pump as well?

Chadwick
10-09-2011, 10:33
to replace the cam belt. Don't you have to get the aux off anyway?!

andyleep
12-09-2011, 07:46
The belt, yes. But not the tensionner - that's still a different job to do I understand

16v_paddy
12-09-2011, 22:05
Noise was bad this morning. Does the alternator belt run the water pump as well?

Yes it does

Wobba
12-09-2011, 23:46
Are you sure it's the tensioner pulley? With the engine running (whilst making sure any hanging hair or neck ties don't get caught in the belt) can you squirt WD40 with the tube extension behind the pulley, not on the belt, and see if it goes away?

Change the belt anyway. If it goes, result, if not, oh well.

Not sure if I posted this already:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Technical/pspump.jpg

mk2wills
22-11-2011, 23:34
silly question but does the hex nut in the middle of the aux tensioner pulley just undo and then come out?how does it tighten?

MatBrown
23-11-2011, 00:44
The hex nut is just for sliding the pulley along the cogged teeth, the 7mm allen key in the middle holds things in place.
Common fault is people trying to move the nut without undoing the allen key resulting in the aluminium teeth shearing off from the alternator bracket.

mk2wills
23-11-2011, 19:55
thanks for the info.sussed it was just a fiddle getting a 7mm in with the space :)

andyleep
23-11-2011, 21:59
The noise is mainly the alternator. The bearings have gone by the sound of it.

Wobba
24-11-2011, 12:27
The noise is mainly the alternator. The bearings have gone by the sound of it.

best get it sorted before winter really kicks in then, if it's going to fail it will be then...